Anyone care to share thoughts on Inside Cabins?

happy cruzer

On 6/5/2020 at 9:10 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Since I sail solo, I would expect to remain in the cabin I booked in the case of a quarantine of one sort or another.

What you would expect and what they might decide to do may be two different things unfortunately.  I doubt being solo makes a difference.  If I were to get Covid-19 I would certainly expect they would quarantine both me and my husband.  To do otherwise would be too risky.  Hopefully, before we ever sail again they will give us  a clear picture of how they would handle sick people onboard.  The problem is, the first time this happened they tried to quarantine people in their own cabins and we all know how that worked out - basically, it didn't.  That is why I suspect they will designate a certain area of the ship as the quarantine area and move sick people there.  I would not be a happy camper to be moved from a nice suite or my usual AQ cabin to some inside cabin on deck 2.  I guess we all just have to wait and see.  

I agree with all who said an inside cabins would not be a fun place to be quarantined on a cruise ship. We generally book a balcony and after I read all the people that were confined to their room I thought I’d go crazy If I couldn’t leave my room. I’m claustrophobic anyway but if seas are fairly smooth I can do a shorter Cruise with a inside room. But no more. We will cruise less but do balcony rooms only. 

It’s always going to be a balance for us and there are certain cruises we would not be able to take at certain cabin levels. With respect there are obviously people on here at a level of wealth we will never be at, ( we need to save for two years for one cruise) that’s not a criticism but with what we earn something always has to give and if that’s the ability to see somewhere like Asia it’s out of our price range in anything other than a cabin without a veranda. I can honestly say the best sleep I have had on a cruise ship is in an inside cabin, no creaking from the veranda doors or wind noise. 

• Like 1

Wish my closet was the size of an inside cabin on the current ships!    Back when I started cruising as a teenager we had inside cabins.   There were bunk beds, one closet, a shelf and a sink.   That was small but we were comfortable and we dressed for dinner every night.   The toilets, showers and baths were down the hallway.   They had men’s and women’s restrooms and showers.   The baths were in rooms by themselves, very small.   The cabin steward would run you a bath and let you know it was ready.   He had to clean it after you were finished.

Some people think the inside cabins are tiny, they are not. They are actually more or less the same size as Veranda cabins minus the actual veranda and actually bigger than ocean view cabins on s class ships. You just don’t have a window, other than that pretty much exactly the same. 

• Like 1

Personally, I have no intention of sailing in any kind of cabin until there is a proven vaccine, don't really understand how others are ok with the risk.  In answer to the original question though, I have stayed in all manner of cabins on different lines, for me, balcony offers the best of both worlds.  We mostly eat in specialty restaurants, so for us an Aqua or Concierge are both wastes of money.  

On 6/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, yorky said:

Some people think the inside cabins are tiny, they are not. They are actually more or less the same size as Veranda cabins minus the actual veranda and actually bigger than ocean view cabins on s class ships. You just don’t have a window, other than that pretty much exactly the same. 

I sailed in an inside cabin several years ago when I cruised with my kids and families and was pleasantly surprised by the size mind you it was with CCL. I was on deck 10 four cabins away from the pool where we hung out literally all day long so just did not make financial sense to spend the extra on a balcony cabin. 

Two observations about insides.  We have had them twice.  The first was a cruise with my twin sister and her husband.  We got up at our usual time, whatever that was back then.  Left them a note under their door about where we were and the time.  SIX notes later they finally woke up, and it was around 10:30.  The total blackout of light is really conducive for deep sleep, so perhaps that’s a good thing.

Our second inside was on the Summit to Bermuda.  We hit weather and that is where I learned in no uncertain terms the very high value of being able to access fresh air and a view of the horizon.  After that, it was NEVER AGAIN for me, and we have not had an inside since.

The specter of an inside and Covid just further cements that  viewpoint.

On 6/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

There were bunk beds, one closet, a shelf and a sink.

Holy Cow--  That was our first cruise on the Flavia , " minnow deck ", inside cabin , no room to breathe .

The top bunk was no more that 6" above my head -- I felt like I was in a coffin.

But, as some say, even today " We eat the same food ". 

I gotta stop here-- my heart is palpitating --- No more inside cabins for us. 

Edited by Pinboy
grammar error

On 6/5/2020 at 10:26 AM, happy cruzer said:

Hi,  Anyone want look in their crystal ball and predict what the future (say the next year or so) booking of inside cabins will look like?

Much talk of lower capacity on the ships.  Will they stop selling inside cabins at some point?  We have one booked but will probably want to upgrade.  Just wonder if Celebrity might encourage that?

Any thoughts?

My wife would never allow booking a cabin without a window.  Better to book, at least an Ocean View.

We have been on about 40 cruises. We started out with a balcony, mixed in a few suites and now have started choosing either inside or outside window. We rarely used our balcony. For the past 10 cruises we book an inside and towards sailing date move up to outside foe maybe $20 or so. Last spring was a Transtlantic and we moved from inside to balcony for $100pp,

we have booked an inside cabin for a Baltic cruise in July 2021.  We have never stayed in an inside cabin before, but decided due to the advantage of a nice dark cabin for sleeping, cost, and when we stayed in balcony rooms we hardly ever used the balcony, and when we had an ocean view room, the windows usually were dirty and hard to see out of.  Hopefully we will not need to be quarantined.  If covid 19 is still a large threat next summer, most likely we will cancel the cruise anyways.

For a long time booking an inside cabin was the only way not to get the "included, free" perks.  As a Zenith cruiser we could not rationalize paying for a drinks package, internet and an OBC to gamble away since we already had paid for them by cruising a lot...

As long as the "free" perks are not included and the upcharge is not excessive, we will book balconies.  However the infinite oceanview cabins (not fake balconies) don't impress me enough to book them.

If the covid virus is still around, we won't be cruising at all so access to fresh air via a balcony has little impact on our decision.

Apex in Jan 16 : "Book select categories by June 15 and receive a FREE $275 per cabin onboard credit, unlimited Internet access for two, and a Classic Beverage Package for two, which includes select alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages"

Without the perks, a balcony goes for $1,399, with the sail your way the cost goes to $1,644.  A great deal for those who do not get the free stuff..

Another thing to consider is the itinerary. When you are sailing the inside passage in Alaska, past Norwegian fjords or through the Stockholm archipelago,  a balcony becomes that much more valuable. This value inst as high in say the Caribbean / Mexico, where nothing in any of those places is really all that scenic. So if there is a place to book an inside , it would probably be the Caribbean.

Edited by XuGator

17 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Another thing to consider is the itinerary. When you are sailing the inside passage in Alaska, past Norwegian fjords or through the Stockholm archipelago,  a balcony becomes that much more valuable. This value inst as high in say the Caribbean / Mexico, where nothing in any of those places is really all that scenic. So if there is a place to book an inside , it would probably be the Caribbean.

When we escape the Canadian winter and head off on our annual Caribbean cruise, one of our favourite activities is enjoying a leisurely al fresco breakfast on our balcony. As much as we've enjoyed the Inside Passage and Norwegian fjords from our balcony, it has been an integral element of our Caribbean cruises too, one we would never give up for an inside cabin.  

The problem with your arguments is there was never any need to lock people down in their cabins in the first place. in fact it probably led to more deaths because the infected were in a 200sf cabin with their spouse/ passenger. You really have to be in close contect with someone to get it, hence why the lock downs are outrageous. Remember swine flu 09... "we must learn the lessons of the virus!" "get outside"

39 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The problem with your arguments is there was never any need to lock people down in their cabins in the first place. in fact it probably led to more deaths because the infected were in a 200sf cabin with their spouse/ passenger. You really have to be in close contect with someone to get it, hence why the lock downs are outrageous. Remember swine flu 09... "we must learn the lessons of the virus!" "get outside"

How do you get 3000-5000 people "outside" and  not within a close proximity while stuck on a cruise ship? There is only so much outside deck space

Edited by XuGator

1 minute ago, XuGator said:

How do you get 3000-5000 people "outside" and  not within a close proximity while stuck on a cruise ship?

The proximity is meaningless outside, especially in a hot place like the Caribbean.

11 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The proximity is meaningless outside, especially in a hot place like the Caribbean.

Your logistics are not realistic. How are people going to get to the outside decks? There would be thousands of people walking through the same hallways all the time, through the same stairwells touching hand rails, in the same elevators etc. A carrier could be shedding virus in any of these places to unsuspecting people.  Also, to say the proximity is meaningless outside is a stretch as I don't think you realize what thousands of people would look like on the pool deck at the same time.  If someone coughs or sneezes while walking around, others could absolutely get infected. Isolation is definitely the best option on a cruise ship and that will always be the protocol moving forward with a major outbreak.

Edited by XuGator

38 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Your logistics are not realistic. How are people going to get to the outside decks? There would be thousands of people walking through the same hallways all the time, through the same stairwells touching hand rails, in the same elevators etc. A carrier could be shedding virus in any of these places to unsuspecting people.  Also, to say the proximity is meaningless outside is a stretch as I don't think you realize what thousands of people would look like on the pool deck at the same time.  If someone coughs or sneezes while walking around, others could absolutely get infected. Isolation is definitely the best option on a cruise ship and that will always be the protocol moving forward with a major outbreak.

isolation... of the sick. Not the healthy. Yes, I might walk down a hallway of a cruise ship and just not risk my own death (or the death of others) by doing so. Give me a break.

16 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

isolation... of the sick. Not the healthy. Yes, I might walk down a hallway of a cruise ship and just not risk my own death (or the death of others) by doing so. Give me a break.

The majority of people are asymptomatic, so they don't know they are sick.....

1 minute ago, XuGator said:

The majority of people are asymptomatic, so they don't know they are sick.....

You took the words out of my mouth.

The experts say we should still social distance outdoors, although it is safer than indoors. The experts say if someone passes close by you in a second, probably nothing will happen, but the longer you are exposed to the virus (even outdoors) the more likely you would get it.

17 minutes ago, babylene said:

You took the words out of my mouth.

The experts say we should still social distance outdoors, although it is safer than indoors. The experts say if someone passes close by you in a second, probably nothing will happen, but the longer you are exposed to the virus (even outdoors) the more likely you would get it.

Being "sick" means lots of different things to many people. Everyone has their own version of what that means. 

With that being said ( and I know the WHO retracted it) but transmission of the virus from an asymptomatic person just seems extremely farfetched based on living on this earth for so many years. But if you want to stay and not cruise because walking down a hallway is suddenly dangerous than to each their own.

• Like 1