Encouraging news about Covid Vaccine

coffeebean

This is encouraging.  I was reading about this in a thread on another board and there were lots of comments about trials and antibodies and effectiveness and such.  I don't know enough about clinical vaccine trials to chime in on that but will say that I gives some reason to be cautiously optimistic.  

4 hours ago, KonkyWonky said:

00Similar article on the BBC4in the UK

The claim is 400 million vaccines produced by the end of 2020, but the vaccine is unproven. The end of 2020 seems a long way away.  Wouldn't be surprised if the end game in this is that the virus mutates into something less harmful before a vaccine is  produced.

400 million doses, you know how much that costs and how hard it will be to administer.  I'd not want to see 400 million given to human test subjects on the number of test they've done and find out in a few months or years some complicated side effect.

2 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

If G7 nations are conducting trials on humans for a Covid 19 vaccine, I think that would be public knowledge. 

They are testing in the UK, and it is public knowledge.:

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/astrazeneca-s-covid-19-vaccine-enters-phase-2-3-clinical-trial

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 6

Covid-19 is not a complicated virus.  They actually almost has a vaccine years ago but funding was cut on the project.  There will be a vaccine.  But the testing on a vaccine must be thorough which could take half a year at least (and that's rushed).  In the 1970's swine flu outbreak in the United States, far more people died of the experimental vaccine than the actual virus.  People panicked and demanded a vaccine.

I think we are about a year away from the masses taking a vaccine.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

Covid-19 is not a complicated virus.  They actually almost has a vaccine years ago but funding was cut on the project.  There will be a vaccine.  But the testing on a vaccine must be thorough which could take half a year at least (and that's rushed).  In the 1970's swine flu outbreak in the United States, far more people died of the experimental vaccine than the actual virus.  People panicked and demanded a vaccine.

I think we are about a year away from the masses taking a vaccine.

huh? They almost had a vaccine for Covid19 years ago? 

24 minutes ago, OzCanuck said:

huh? They almost had a vaccine for Covid19 years ago? 

SARS is similar to Covid19 - they were working on a SARS vaccine a few years back but did not continue development because of funding/lack of interest.  I believe many of the current trials are based on that work.  Several companies are actually producing a vaccine now, in parallel with testing, so that if their vaccine actually hits the mark, it is available for immediate distribution.

Edited by julig22

We all can hope for quick development of a COVID-19 vaccine, but we need to temper our hopes with a dose of reality.

No vaccine has taken less than four years to develop, most have taken 10-15 years, and 90% of candidate vaccines never make it to market.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/05/19/we-roar-covid-vaccine-12-18-months-dont-count-it

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

NO...the article is talking about a vaccine for SARS, not COVID-19. Both are caused by a coronavirus, but different coronaviruses. There's no guarantee that a vaccine for SARS would have been effective on COVID-19. It just would have been available for testing to see if it were effective against COVID-19. Read this quote carefully:

"We could have had this ready to go and been testing the vaccine's efficacy at the start of this new outbreak in China," said Hotez, who believes the vaccine could provide cross-protection against the new coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease known as COVID-19."

It is only Dr. Hotez's opinion that the SARS vaccine he was working on would be effective for COVID-19, which is a pretty far-out statement from a scientist given that they never got far enough to see if it was safe and effective against SARS. I think he is bitter that funding was cut off for his project and now is sticking his tongue out and saying "I told you so."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is encouraging.  I was reading about this in a thread on another board and there were lots of comments about trials and antibodies and effectiveness and such.  I don't know enough about clinical vaccine trials to chime in on that but will say that I gives some reason to be cautiously optimistic.  

What folks should know is that the normal test cycle for a vaccine is measured in 10’s of years (not 10 months). And use a diverse group of test subjects worldwide. A small, non-diverse group would yield skewed results. And the manufactures hope that the FDA is desperate enough to approve it so that the can cash in with little up front investment. 

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

NO...the article is talking about a vaccine for SARS, not COVID-19. Both are caused by a coronavirus, but different coronaviruses. There's no guarantee that a vaccine for SARS would have been effective on COVID-19. It just would have been available for testing to see if it were effective against COVID-19. Read this quote carefully:

"We could have had this ready to go and been testing the vaccine's efficacy at the start of this new outbreak in China," said Hotez, who believes the vaccine could provide cross-protection against the new coronavirus, which causes a respiratory disease known as COVID-19."

It is only Dr. Hotez's opinion that the SARS vaccine he was working on would be effective for COVID-19, which is a pretty far-out statement from a scientist given that they never got far enough to see if it was safe and effective against SARS. I think he is bitter that funding was cut off for his project and now is sticking his tongue out and saying "I told you so."

I'm not going to argue with you.  Use your google search. Any vaccine for a coronavirus is a breakthrough for all coronanviruses.

You want to debate people here and I wont take the bait. You clearly missed the context of the entire article.  

Stop putting your spin on scientist's own words.  Unless you have worked on coronavirus research and vaccine development you have no authority to tell scientists they are bitter and were not making progress on a vaccine.  Stick to horses something you may know about.

Edited by david_sobe

Yes, SARS and COVID-19 are both diseases.  The first is caused by SARS-CoV, and the second is caused by SARS-CoV-2.  SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 are not the same, but do have many similarities (such as the way then enter cells). So if research on SARS-CoV had not been halted, we might be a little further in the process of developing a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2. They are also both coronaviruses, but there are lots and lots of those- these two are more similar to each other than they are to other coronaviruses.

I'm actually working on some of this in my lab (I'm a geneticist)- and I'm of the mindset that there will be an effective vaccine for what that's worth (which should be no more than anyone else's opinion!)  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1