Cruise Line Approved Hotels

SA34

5 hours ago, SA34 said:

Can anyone explain why the pre-cruise hotels are so expensive (2-3 times what hotel websites offer) and why they are priced per person and per night?

To answer your question it is because some folks are willing to pay that high price!  Many of us would not even consider using a cruise line pre or post cruise package (we have done it one time in over 130 cruises) as we simply do our own thing (book hotels, transfers, etc) for far less and usually at better hotels (quality and location).

Hank

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ships tend to use bigger, blander more American-style hotels on the outskirts. Which makes it difficult to get around on your own -- everything requires transportation and initiative.

That's what I've seen offered by cruise lines.

Perfectly acceptable hotels, usually international chains.

But location is everything especially if you only have a few days in a city

Yes, the cruise lines usually provide transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to ship, but for the rest of the time you're at the mercy of local transportation.

If you're considering a cruise-sponsored hotel, do yourselves a big favour by checking out its location.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I disagree. Depending on the port, cruise line, and hotel, I've encountered quite a few cruiselines hotel  offers that were at least twice what was posted on the hotel website. 

It's an easy way for the cruiselines to make some money from the unsuspecting, the lazy, or those with more money than sense.

People have all sorts of reasons  to book with the cruise line 

no need to be so judgmental

We took a hotel package once  through the cruise line  because we booked less than a month before the cruise

we had just finished dealing with SIL estate  & as Executor it was time consuming 

DH was exhausted & just wanted to get away

I did not have the time or inclination to search for  a hotel in London let alone transport to  Dover

Yes the hotel deal was costly  but  we did not have to worry  about anything but packing & getting to the airport

We were near the British Museum & a good location with lots of places to eat nearby

If you  are not paying for them  why should you care what they do ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Anyways, back to the actual topic. Cruise lines try to lure you in with what they pass as all inclusive, offering their recommended hotels and hoping you fall for their gimmicks, such as free transportation to the ship.  For the same reasons I would never book flights through a cruise line, I would also never book a hotel.  Besides, I most likely have enough rewards points through other means for free flights and hotels anyways. 

Well not everyone is  as lucky as you to have points  for free flight/hotels

• Like 1

People have all sorts of reasons  to book with the cruise line 
no need to be so judgmental

We took a hotel package once  through the cruise line  because we booked less than a month before the cruise
we had just finished dealing with SIL estate  & as Executor it was time consuming 
I did not have the time or inclination to search for  a hotel in London let alone transport to  Dover
Yes the hotel deal was costly  but  we did not have to worry  about anything but packing & getting to the airport
We were near the British Museum & a good location with lots of places to eat nearby

Never would book thru the cruise line for London as it is the easiest place to find a hotel and for DIY transportation. Trains run from London to the airport. I always get a hotel near the Piccadilly line which runs to Heathrow. Really easy to get transportation to Southampton too. I almost did do a hotel in San Juan after the hurricane since my hotel canceled and we could not find rooms. The cruise line had some expensive rooms but we decided instead to fly in the day of the cruise which I never do usually using cruise line air since they guaranteed to fly us to the next port if we missed the departure and the departure was late evening. That flight cost $25 more than if I booked it myself. I considered that insurance. It worked out. I always check cruise line air as sometimes it is cheaper. When we did the QM2 transatlantic which was a one way flight we saved half the price of booking our own. But hotels, nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I suppose convenience is a valid reason depending on a person's utility preferences.  Some people spend a lot on convenience packages that I would find wasteful.   In your case, it sounds more like unique circumstances drove the process, which is certainly understandable.  Take care.     

I wouldn't call it luck.  It's not like the points are given to me for free.

I have been putting all my purchases on a few carefully selected travel credit cards and pay the balance. I don’t use cash for anything except cash tips. I have not had to pay for flights for a few years. The problem I have now is not being able to travel I am accumulating too many travel points I can’t use.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I manage that just fine too. Directly across the street in my photo above, for example, is one of the best salumerias in the historic center -- I can nip in and buy some cheese, salami, a fresh roll, a bottle of vino. Or a delicious porchetta sandwich freshly sliced from the roasted pig....

Ah, you got to that before I did!!!    Isn't that side of the street where the big sinkhole happened?  I hope they can still open!!

43 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Ah, you got to that before I did!!!    Isn't that side of the street where the big sinkhole happened?  I hope they can still open!!

Yes indeed. Wasn't that exciting?  I am hoping they might figure out a way to leave the area underneath partially exposed.

I can't tell exactly, but it looks like the area affected is just past the entrance to the Antica Salumeria.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/rome-sinkhole-pantheon-reveals-original-stone-pavement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Exactly  but I am sure you need to spend some money to get the points  in the first place

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I suppose convenience is a valid reason depending on a person's utility preferences.  Some people spend a lot on convenience packages that I would find wasteful.   In your case, it sounds more like unique circumstances drove the process, which is certainly understandable.  Take care.     

Exactly

No one really knows why others  book things  that they do

As long as I am not paying for them  they can spend their money however they want

No judgments here

There is  not need for some to call people  names  because they choose a different option than they would

I just say do the math

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Totally agree. Everything is based, IMO, on paying it off every month. We have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and are racking up points. We bought some caviar today and it's coded as "groceries" so we're getting 5X. YAY.

Totally agree. Everything is based, IMO, on paying it off every month. We have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and are racking up points. We bought some caviar today and it's coded as "groceries" so we're getting 5X. YAY.

Luckily I used the $300 travel credit in January. It is time to renew Global Entry so that will be a $100 credit. DoorDash has come in handy too.

Price is not the only issue.  Cruise lines often use hotels that cater to business people.  Excellent hotels.  They would often otherwise have lots of space Friday-Sunday.  The downside is that these hotels are often not where a tourist would prefer. They do however provide the cruise line with more margin on the sale.  Not saying that they are all like this but never assume that your cruise line hotel will be in the best location. You have to do some research.  When you do you will sometimes find that either the price or  the location are not to your liking.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Haha, I know.  People tell me I'm lucky to be able to cruise or do other things.  I agree.  I'm lucky I had the opportunity to work my a$$ off to be able to do those things. 😃😃

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Price is not the only issue.  Cruise lines often use hotels that cater to business people.  Excellent hotels.  They would often otherwise have lots of space Friday-Sunday.  The downside is that these hotels are often not where a tourist would prefer. They do however provide the cruise line with more margin on the sale.  Not saying that they are all like this but never assume that your cruise line hotel will be in the best location. You have to do some research.  When you do you will sometimes find that either the price or  the location are not to your liking.

Very good point . We were on a paid land tour in Northern Italy that put us up one night in a business conference facility.  It was actually a change from the in-town hotel we were originally supposed to stay.  I admit it was a really very nice upscale conference facility.  But it was in the middle of nowhere and we weren't traveling to hang out in a business conference retreat.    

23 hours ago, SA34 said:

Can anyone explain why the pre-cruise hotels are so expensive (2-3 times what hotel websites offer) and why they are priced per person and per night?

The main reason is that many people are just too lazy to do their own research or else they are too afraid to do anything that is not "approved" by the cruise line.  You could ask the same question that you posted about cruise line tours versus DIY tours.  

DON

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Haha, I know.  People tell me I'm lucky to be able to cruise or do other things.  I agree.  I'm lucky I had the opportunity to work my a$$ off to be able to do those things. 😃😃

Yeah, and if any one thinks that "business travel" is glamorous well,llll

4 hours ago, iancal said:

Are there really that many business people having a tough time finding a hotel? If there's any crowd I would think might be a little more choosy of where they are staying, I would probably think it's business travelers. Most business travelers travel often and have a preference of what they like. It is probably not too uncommon either that they would have a loyalty status that would get them perks. Upgrades, points, late checkout, breakfast, etc. Booking through a third party often negates those perks.

I think this is more for the crowd who don't travel often and/or don't care about the cost.

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Why would business people want to stay away form the downtown areas  where usually businesses  are located ??

Some "downtown areas" pretty much close down after the businesses close down for the day or the week.

I saw a bunch of HAL hotel folks at the Westin Ft. Lauderdale.  The one by I 95 between beside two office towers.  The rooms were fine, the beds incredibly comfortable.  But a much further away from the beach or the shopping area.  There was nothing around.  Rental car or cab.  

In Rome, on business, saw a bunch of cruisers at the Sheraton Polo.  Not a great location for visiting Rome. Though, there was apparently a hotel bus that would go every so often.

Always best to check where that cruise line hotel is vis a vis the tourist areas....unless all you need is a bed for the night prior to going to the dock.

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

No one really knows why others  book things  that they do

After decades of independent travels around the world, often staying in three star hotels where little English was spoken, we have reluctantly graduated to the stage of life and mobility issues where we need to keep things easy, and convenient and therefore much more expensive. 

After independent travels our next step was bus specialized tours where others arranged everything.  Then river cruising and the comfort of one unpacking and great tours.

We're now at the hand-holding cruise hotel and ship excursion stage and are content.

We agree, cruise line hotels are usually chains either at airports or well away from city centres and pricier than on line.  But our goal is to enjoy a couple of nights pre cruise in warmth and sunshine.  We manage on usually expensive and limited hotel dining.

I should add we started travelling in the early 60s long before the ease of internet searches.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes indeed. Wasn't that exciting?  I am hoping they might figure out a way to leave the area underneath partially exposed.

I can't tell exactly, but it looks like the area affected is just past the entrance to the Antica Salumeria.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/rome-sinkhole-pantheon-reveals-original-stone-pavement

Yeah, it does look like the Antica Salumeria is right at the top edge of the fence!!!   If I remember, they also have a yummy pastry case right inside the door - or is that a few doors down from there?  My mind is failing...