When will things start back up?

KS&JW

14 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

465 Covid cases now in French Polynesia, including community transfer at social events.

Unions are threatening strikes this week unless 2 week quarantine is reintroduced.

I don't know where you got that information. Everything I am reading about French Polynesia says the government will not close things down again, they cannot afford too. If a quarantine was implemented and tourists were thrown out and no more coming in, the tourism industry there would not survive. 

From Tahiti-infos:

Tahiti, August 31, 2020 - The latest report released Monday by the health directorate and Arass reports 511 cases of Covid-19 in French Polynesia since July 15. Four people are now in intensive care, out of the ten hospitalized people whose average age is around 52 years. 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, DanOnboard said:

I'm sure everyone's noticed earlier this week that all Oceania cruises for Nov & Dec 2020 were wait listed (except an occaisional category here and there).

So the options are:

1. There was a rush last weekend to get a cruise this year
  2. New COVID capacity limits that Oceania will use were already met
  3. Those cruises will not be happening

The odds seem to be in favor of number three.  The ships have been sent to their layup ports.  January restart at earliest.

Care to share why you think #3 is more likely?  What other factors did you consider?

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

I don't know where you got that information. 

From Tahiti-infos:

Tahiti, August 31, 2020 - The latest report released Monday by the health directorate and Arass reports 511 cases of Covid-19 in French Polynesia since July 15. Four people are now in intensive care, out of the ten hospitalized people whose average age is around 52 years. 

Isn't 511 even more than the 465 that Tranquility Base reported?

Which part oh his/her post are you questioning?

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The part about unions going on strike there is not a 2 week shutdown. Since I am supposed to go to Tahiti in January I am following all sources of information I can. I have not seen any news about that item.

Just because you haven't seen it, it doesn't mean it's not true. 

If you saw the opposite in print (i.e. no quarantine is being discussed at all) that would carry more weight.

23 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just because you haven't seen it, it doesn't mean it's not true. 

If you saw the opposite in print (i.e. no quarantine is being discussed at all) that would carry more weight.

Until Tranquility Base cites his source, I won't believe it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, msears101 said:

Care to share why you think #3 is more likely?  What other factors did you consider?

My reasoning for number 3 is:

• Other cruise lines are cancelling and O already did Insignia.
  • O typically Wait Lists cruises before cancelling
  • FDR implied in an interview that things would probably not start until next year and may take six months for every ship to be back (CC article)
  • CDC bureaucracy is known for taking months to issue something like lifting the No Sail (really no docking) in US ports
  • COVID-19 continues with no guaranteed solution near term and science saying next year earliest

As Flatbush said, it could also be stashing FCC's to get use deadline extended or another 25% added. I wonder how many times you can do that?

And there's this post and the article in it.

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

I don't know where you got that information. Everything I am reading about French Polynesia says the government will not close things down again, they cannot afford too. If a quarantine was implemented and tourists were thrown out and no more coming in, the tourism industry there would not survive. 

From Tahiti-infos:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/424820/tahiti-unions-warn-of-general-strike-over-covid-19

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Just as I said before - just because you (susiesan) have not seen it it doesn't mean it's not true.

See the link above.

Paul, I more and more realize that many - most? - people don't rely on facts, rather what they think/feel/believe.

16 hours ago, clo said:

That is the reference I was looking for. OP's post did not refer to that article so it may have been that person's opinion or he just made it up. I am fine with facts as long as a reliable source for them is presented.

There are now 534 cases, no deaths. Still the FP government is not shutting down or imposing a 14 day quarantine on arrival for international visitors. If the unions force FP to do this they will have cut their own throats as what little tourism is coming to the islands will be gone in an instant. The union people will lose their jobs as the FP economy crashes.

The Directorate of Health reported on Tuesday a total of 534 people infected with the coronavirus since August 2, 26 more than the day before. In the detailed point released Monday, out of the 511 patients then identified, ten people were kept under surveillance at the Taaone hospital center, for signs of Covid-19. Among them, four were in intensive care. For the moment, there are still no deaths linked to Covid-19 in Polynesia. 

12 minutes ago, Condocat said:

Thank you for the article....concerned for 2021 as well.  Time will tell.

That article is from May and is about the current ban that ends on September 17. There's nothing in it about the ban being extended to December 17...although that could very well be true.

Edited by njhorseman

Here are links to a couple other sources which say Australia closed until December 17:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12362125

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-australia-extends-ban-on-people-leaving-the-country-until-december-12062622

Edited by Fam_Cruise

10 minutes ago, dj_crusin said:

Here is a site that I found interesting:

https://www.porthole.com/complete-list-of-cruise-line-cancellations/

All the lines in one place.  Please note Cunard!

Cruise Critic has maintained a comprehensive list in its News section ever since this crisis started. They update it regularly, most recently on September 2:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206

Edited by njhorseman

• 3 weeks later...