When will things start back up?

KS&JW

38 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

The stress of living with someone who thinks hydrocortisone ointment is toothpaste is worse than money down on cruises. I'm really thrilled he can remember the cruises.

Well you gotta do what  is right for you

We  did  not have to deal with MIL too long  before  she ended up in care

Her walkabouts in the night in nightclothes   were very stressfull for FIL

As well as the rest of us  who could not be there regularly

good luck to you  & stay healthy

Thanks Lyn.

Worked with elderly most of my life so nightwalks are manageable. Bells ring at our house when passing through our bedroom, and the doors to outside have inside locks easy for me to open but impossible for him. He's a big angel and has treated me the same way for many years. He's a keeper no matter the challenge.

But back to the topic! When will things start back up. I'm hopeful April 29, 2021, but I trust Jancruz when she says it'll be a long time and to wait until things look brighter. Can't stop me from hoping though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Petoonya said:

But back to the topic! When will things start back up. I'm hopeful April 29, 2021, but I trust Jancruz when she says it'll be a long time and to wait until things look brighter. Can't stop me from hoping though.

Keep hoping, Petoonya. I am rooting for you.  

I spent so much of my career endeavoring to protect clients from “worst case“ scenarios that now in retirement my first reaction tends to skew that way.  IMO the hope and positivity you express on this forum inspires. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, Redtravel said:

If you read this thread, the list was for crew to report for work. It was removed.  Look back at the first page of postings.

Not that it matters at this point since, but it is still there.  I just looked.  

8 hours ago, KS&JW said:

Not that it matters at this point since, but it is still there.  I just looked.  

Uncertain times is what many have called the pandemic.  Back in March when everything started to come apart, we were told many scenarios about what would happen.  Most were just wishful thinking like schools will close for 2 weeks and warm weather would kill the virus.  Then everything would be ok. Unfortunately not true. Here we are months later with millions of cases of Covid 19.  The virus keeps spreading with no firm end.  Making a prediction as to when cruising will resume is just wishful thinking.  The back to work or sail dates keep moving back.  We are at home waiting for a cure/ vaccine.  That too is uncertain.  For now, stay home and be safe. 

“ For Now”!

It currently appears that the current two hopeful vaccines will not be recommended for seniors. AstraZ has even dropped seniors from their trials, only doing 12-55 year olds now.

I ‘ve witnessed or listened to the mental health collapse of far too many after “only” four (4) months of isolation. Another eighteen (18) months and a vaccine won’t matter for them. The deterioration of their mental health will be so great, their physical health won’t matter much. My 74 year old ( soon to be 75) bil , isolated away in his gated AZ community, getting all grocery, drugs, and alcohol delivered is mentally collapsing at a rapid rate. At 76, not having gotten the virus will be the moot! His days of travel or doing anything will be over. Saddest part his wife is in worst shape than he! Yellow Journalism and other fear mongers have preyed on these people’s fragility so much they’re scared to talk to their neighbors, that have likewise been isolated for months, from across the brick walls!

But “ for now”!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

“ For Now”!

It currently appears that the current two hopeful vaccines will not be recommended for seniors. AstraZ has even dropped seniors from their trials, only doing 12-55 year olds now.

I ‘ve witnessed or listened to the mental health collapse of far too many after “only” four (4) months of isolation. Another eighteen (18) months and a vaccine won’t matter for them. The deterioration of their mental health will be so great, their physical health won’t matter much. My 74 year old ( soon to be 75) bil , isolated away in his gated AZ community, getting all grocery, drugs, and alcohol delivered is mentally collapsing at a rapid rate. At 76, not having gotten the virus will be the moot! His days of travel or doing anything will be over. Saddest part his wife is in worst shape than he! Yellow Journalism and other fear mongers have preyed on these people’s fragility so much they’re scared to talk to their neighbors, that have likewise been isolated for months, from across the brick walls!

But “ for now”!

• Like 1

If I may make a few suggestions being in the very senior age bracket..I play Canasta and Mah jong on computer for several hours a day , I  make calls to my kids and grandkids each day..I read and knit and try to walk around my neighbor hood each day and my dog needs Stu and I so we have a responsibility..Some shows  on Netflix and Prime are excellent which in the morning we discuss with our kids..I started a garden and my tomatoes are gigantic...at 4pm on Saturday we go to a friends back yard for happy hour bring our own food and chairs and sit about 8 to 10 feet apart..and ast but not least I experiment with new easy recipes..I know this isn't about O..but I need to stay healthy so I can be on the first ship that sails wherever it may go..

Everyone keep busy..and healthy..

Regards,

Jancruz1

PS my medicine cabinets have never been so clean..

Petoonya I admire you so much..hi to your husband..

• Like 2

So far, we've completed two coffee table sized photo books on recent trip to China, replanted perennials in our garden, created a collection of images of the birds of our backyard for a future photo book, defrosted the freezer in our garage (it really needed it), completely cleaned out our garage and organized the tools, storage and other junk-collecting surfaces, organized several storage areas in the house, and started on a photo book on our trip to Japan, with another in the wings on our trip to Iceland. The irony is that it took this hiatus to accomplish these things 🥳.

Then there are the frequent Zoom presentations on photography and wildlife, Zoom personal training sessions (not me..that's my DW's project), Zoom Happy Hours with Friends, and Zoom Book Club meetings.  And of course, there are Netflix and Amazon Prime videos for evening entertainment

Well, it's not perfect, but we're maintaining our sanity.

Edited by 1985rz1

16 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

So far, we've completed two coffee table sized photo books on recent trip to China, replanted perennials in our garden, created a collection of images of the birds of our backyard for a future photo book, defrosted the freezer in our garage (it really needed it), completely cleaned out our garage and organized the tools, storage and other junk-collecting surfaces, organized several storage areas in the house, and started on a photo book on our trip to Japan, with another in the wings on our trip to Iceland. The irony is that it took this hiatus to accomplish these things 🥳.

Then there are the frequent Zoom presentations on photography and wildlife, Zoom personal training sessions (not me..that's my DW's project), Zoom Happy Hours with Friends, and Zoom Book Club meetings.  And of course, there are Netflix and Amazon Prime videos for evening entertainment

Well, it's not perfect, but we're maintaining our sanity.

Sounds more productive but much less fun than cruising 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Unfortunately, yes 🥺  Stay safe, Paul.  Hope we get to have dim sum with you two again, sometime.

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

Unfortunately, yes 🥺  Stay safe, Paul.  Hope we get to have dim sum with you two again, sometime.

That would be great - we'd go to one of  my favorite places 🙂

I haven't had Dim Sum since January and I miss that more than any other food.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Problem is we don't know how much fun we will have when cruising starts up again with no one know how many restrictions. Masks, pools closed, not being able to dine when you want etc.  Might be more fun to stay home.  Only time will tell.  I just can't get my hopes up that it will be as it was  before. Sure hope I am wrong. 

2 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

That is a good site. Hopefully we'll still be playing with the 2020 card when things start back up. At least that gives us until early April but hoping it will be sooner.

Diane ....is that you?

21 hours ago, RJB said:

Problem is we don't know how much fun we will have when cruising starts up again with no one know how many restrictions. Masks, pools closed, not being able to dine when you want etc.  Might be more fun to stay home.  Only time will tell.  I just can't get my hopes up that it will be as it was  before. Sure hope I am wrong. 

After all this time at home and still being locked in..even sitting on my ships balcony and reading would be a welcome change,,,

Jancruz1

• Like 5

22 hours ago, RJB said:

Simply said, the world has changed. In the foreseeable future prepare yourself for travel restrictions. Covid's not going away anytime soon. Make your fun now- no time like the present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Simply said, the world has changed. In the foreseeable future prepare yourself for travel restrictions. Covid's not going away anytime soon. Make your fun now- no time like the present.

You are a real Trooper!.  I admire your attitude, your caring, and your focus.  Your DH is very lucky to have you.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

On 7/23/2020 at 8:27 PM, Jancruz said:

I repeat, only people with a Crystal Ball know what is going to happen and when..how can you even question it when we cant even get our hair and nails done in California..

you can pick the dates out of thin air all you want..You are not correct..

The cruise lines are guessing just like we are..so until this virus steadies forget cruising..

Jancruz1

This is the most accurate post on when cruising will resume that I have read.

Ouiji Board is another option

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:16 AM, pinotlover said:

Maybe there is hope for us plus 55 year olds. I like the possibility of this “shot on goal” as much, if not more, then AstraZ or Moderna.  Just hopping one of the “shots on goal” is successful.

• “NEW YORK and MAINZ, Germany, July 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE(Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the start of a global (except for China) Phase 2/3 safety and efficacy clinical study to evaluate a single nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) candidate from their BNT162 mRNA-based vaccine program, against SARS-CoV-2.
  •  
  • Phase 2/3 study of up to 30,000 participants aged 18 – 85 years started in U.S. and expected to include approximately 120 sites globally  
  •  
  •  Assuming clinical success, Pfizer and BioNTech on track to seek regulatory review as early as October 2020 and, if regulatory authorization or approval is obtained, plan to supply up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and approximately 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021.”
  •  
  • https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-details/pfizer-and-biontech-choose-lead-mrna-vaccine-candidate-against

4 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

Maybe there is hope for us plus 55 year olds. I like the possibility of this “shot on goal” as much, if not more, then AstraZ or Moderna.  Just hopping one of the “shots on goal” is successful.

• “NEW YORK and MAINZ, Germany, July 27, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE(Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the start of a global (except for China) Phase 2/3 safety and efficacy clinical study to evaluate a single nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) candidate from their BNT162 mRNA-based vaccine program, against SARS-CoV-2.
  •  
  • Phase 2/3 study of up to 30,000 participants aged 18 – 85 years started in U.S. and expected to include approximately 120 sites globally  
  •  
  •  Assuming clinical success, Pfizer and BioNTech on track to seek regulatory review as early as October 2020 and, if regulatory authorization or approval is obtained, plan to supply up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and approximately 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021.”
  •  
  • https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-details/pfizer-and-biontech-choose-lead-mrna-vaccine-candidate-against

Thanks for that info - it does sound promising.

43 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

•  
  •  
  •  

38 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks for that info - it does sound promising.

Note that this press release appears on the "investors" web page  of one of the companies developing this vaccine. Why is it there? For scientific review? No...

Didn't AstraZeneca also "intend" to include seniors in its vaccine trial? 

Hey...I hope a vaccine or two is successfully introduced soon, but I'm wary of the barrage of press releases whose main purpose is to pump up the company's stock price.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2