Cagney’s

doones2

40 minutes ago, doones2 said:

I was listening to a podcast and a cruiser mentioned that in Cagney’s there was an upcharge if he wanted a gravy on his steak?  Is this true?  Is it something new?

Like most good steakhouses, if you want a special topping, there is a small extra charge. Cagney's charges $3 for a side sauce. 

For example, we were at a land-based steakhouse last weekend and the charge for a side sauce was $9.95 (much more than Cagney's)

image.thumb.png.77361f6d272a2fa3e002a735427e2655.png

Edited by BirdTravels

10 minutes ago, funat55 said:

Is Cagneys now ala carte or is it also included in the specialty dining package?  If it is included what are you entitled to order off the menu at no charge?

It is  a la carte but also still part of the specialty dining package. Undoubtedly the vast majority of those dining in Cagney's are using one  of their dining package meals, so the charge for a sauce is moot...they don't actually pay for it under the dining package.

3 hours ago, funat55 said:

Is Cagneys now ala carte or is it also included in the specialty dining package?  If it is included what are you entitled to order off the menu at no charge?

Most restaurants have been a la cate for about 5 years now. All are included in the specialty dining package. Fixed price dining include Teppanyaki and Moderno Brazilian Steakhouse (which is slowly being removed from the fleet). You can order one entree, multiple appetizers and a dessert. Regular coffee and tea included. You will see on the menu above, that there are a few items with an upcharge (jumbo shrimp and lobster). Other items are included. 

In any restaurant whenever I am shown the ketchup bottle I wave them away with "What do you think I am, American?" 

However each to his own. 

Pork with apple sauce; yes.   Lamb with mint sauce; yes.  Ham with mustard; yes.   Fish with Tartar Sauce; yes.   Being originally from the UK HP sauce is acceptable for burgers etc.  

Ketchup; never for me.

Edited by casofilia

20 minutes ago, casofilia said:

In any restaurant whenever I am shown the ketchup bottle I wave them away with "What do you think I am, American?" 

However each to his own. 

Pork with apple sauce; yes.   Lamb with mint sauce; yes.  Ham with mustard; yes.   Fish with Tartar Sauce; yes.   Being originally from the UK HP sauce is acceptable for burgers etc.  

Ketchup; never for me.

Ketchup actually originated in China.  We just made it better 😉.

If you sacrifice one of your sides, you probably could get it for no charge.  A lot comes down to your server.  I just got off Encore in March and we were allowed 1 appetizer, 2 sides, and 1 dessert at Cagneys.  I remember some said they were only allowed 1 side, etc.

At Onda, I selected an upcharge wine TWICE, clicked the acceptance that I agree with the upcharge yet was not charged either time.  We had 2 with us that had no drink package.  Sometimes they would not charge us for  a soda either.  I felt the staff at each restaurant went out of their way to give you the best meal possible with as little upcharge as possible.  Of course our tip reflected that 🙂

So its not impossible for your server to throw in the sauce.  But don't expect it.

Edited by david_sobe

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ketchup actually originated in China.  We just made it better 😉.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

If you sacrifice one of your sides, you probably could get it for no charge.  A lot comes down to your server.  I just got off Encore in March and we were allowed 1 appetizer, 2 sides, and 1 dessert at Cagneys.  I remember some said they were only allowed 1 side, etc.

At Onda, I selected an upcharge wine TWICE, clicked the acceptance that I agree with the upcharge yet was not charged either time.  We had 2 with us that had no drink package.  Sometimes they would not charge us for  a soda either.  I felt the staff at each restaurant went out of their way to give you the best meal possible with as little upcharge as possible.  Of course our tip reflected that 🙂

So its not impossible for your server to throw in the sauce.  But don't expect it.

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

However each to his own. 

Ketchup; never for me.

Most people clamor to go to Cagney's and it sells out fast. From our recent experience, it has fallen to nearly the bottom of our list. The quality of the food and the quality of the service in the restaurant, fleet wide, has gone done hill (and we sail NCL 4-5 times a year). We got a call from the assistant general manager on the Escape last year, just checking in to see how the cruise was going. I mentioned that the food and service in Cagney's was sub par. The next night, we were dining at Ocean Blue and the manager of Cangey's came to our table to apologize. Apology accepted, but the trend is across the fleet,,, which really doesn't make sense. In any case, we only go to Cagney's if there is nothing better to do. We always use our Platinum Plus certificate at Le Bistro. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I was expecting quality decline since I was reading it and sort of experienced it in 2015.  But I can honestly report our experience earlier this year on Encore that Cagneys had not lost any yumminess.   Everything was what I would expect and then some.  The place was PACKED.  It was so PACKED that the bar that sits outside the restaurant had tables and chairs all around it creating an overflow area.  For how crowded the restaurant was, the service was really good.

• Like 1

We really got to know Cagney's on our last Joy cruise. The Haven Restaurant was closed and we had our breakfasts and lunches in Cagneys, but with the Haven Restaurant staff. We were given dinners at any specialty restaurants for no extra charge. We got to enjoy the morning stroll to Cagney's. When dining there it was the usual Cagney's staff and they were delightful. I'm a vegetarian and they always enjoyed finding some alternatives for me. 

18 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I have found the same.  It depends on your server (and the maitre'd).  I think if you're nice to both, you may not see any uncharges as long as you're reasonable in your request.  I've found the nicer I am, the more cordial I am, the more accommodating the specialty restaurants seem to be.