Have You Ever Gotten Something For Free On Celebrity?

Georgia_Peaches

I just watched a video on Youtube called 6 Things You Can Get For Free On a Cruise if You Ask.  Of course I was intrigued so I clicked on the link.  There was actually nothing in the video that I didn't already know and most of it was not of much value (to me).  But it got me wondering if there are some things of value that people get for free by just asking. 

So, have you gotten a freebie from Celebrity just because you asked?  Please share your experience.

Here's the video for anyone who is interested.

4 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I don't click on YouTube links - could you or someone provide the list of freebies? Then we can discuss. 😊 

Sure.  Like I said, most weren't what I would consider freebies...more like special perks that I've already paid for. But the list includes:

• extra entree at dinner
  • champagne at a captains reception
  • a charm for visiting the gift shop

I stopped the video there...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Those videos are great for new cruisers but once you been on a few kind of learn the tricks  of the trade.  I usually have 2-4 speciality made main course and or deserts made during a cruise for myself, I’m usually on 10 plus day ones mainly.  I know this next one hopefully nov is a go I’m traveling with a vegetarian so wil be searching out matre d right away.  I know there is a veg menu but will see what else she can get. Doing a back to back 21 days on reflection So we will be known very well!  

The extra entree is not "free" it's included in the price of your fare.

Yes my wife got the free charm. We haven't been to the Captain's reception.

We got free toques on our Alaska cruise, and a nice tea towel, and we happened to be on the Cruising with the CEO cruise and everyone got "Cruising with the CEO" Tote bags which were different than the Celebrity tote bags in the cabin. All these thing came at no extra charge so they were included in our fare.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The extra entree is not "free" it's included in the price of your fare.

Yes my wife got the free charm. We haven't been to the Captain's reception.

We got free toques on our Alaska cruise, and a nice tea towel, and we happened to be on the Cruising with the CEO cruise and everyone got "Cruising with the CEO" Tote bags which were different than the Celebrity tote bags in the cabin. All these thing came at no extra charge so they were included in our fare.

So most of the things we get are likely wrapped up in the fare somehow.  But I recall a time on Equinox when we were offered a free meal in Qsine on embarkation day.  The line for the MDR was backed out the door.  The GM walked down the line offering a free specialty meal in lieu of the MDR.  Guess they were feeling overwhelmed by the volume.  I consider that a freebie...but we didn't ask for it.  They asked us.

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So most of the things we get are likely wrapped up in the fare somehow.  But I recall a time on Equinox when we were offered a free meal in Qsine on embarkation day.  The line for the MDR was backed out the door.  The GM walked down the line offering a free specialty meal in lieu of the MDR.  Guess they were feeling overwhelmed by the volume.  I consider that a freebie...but we didn't ask for it.  They asked us.

I got a bottle of wine from the captain, a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Head of Guest Relations, travel passport holder from Guest Relations, won 5 bottles of wine at specialty restaurant just by registering, free wash/set courtesy of concierge, a couple of future cruise discounts.  Those are some that I remember.  I didn't ask for any of them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Georgia Peaches, I would consider that a freebie. A meal in specialty dining at no extra charge.

To me the toques and tea towel and totes were given to everyone so...included in the fare.

I guess it's a matter of perception, if everyone gets the "freebie" it's included in the fare. If out of the blue you are given something that's a freebie.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I guess it's a matter of perception, if everyone gets the "freebie" it's included in the fare. If out of the blue you are given something that's a freebie.

I agree and think that's a good rule of thumb.

2 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I got a bottle of wine from the captain, a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Head of Guest Relations, travel passport holder from Guest Relations, won 5 bottles of wine at specialty restaurant just by registering, free wash/set courtesy of concierge, a couple of future cruise discounts.  Those are some that I remember.  I didn't ask for any of them.

Jeezz, how nice!  Can we travel with you next time? 😉

• Like 1

I got a birthday cake and champagne in the Elite lounge and a flower arrangement in our cabin. My husband happened to mention that this was a "special" birthday cruise to the Captain's Club hostess.  We also got bottles of wine and champagne on a cruise to celebrate our anniversary. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't consider the 3 listed "free" items either free or a perk. A charm for visiting a gift shop - more like a come on to me.  Everyone can get a 2nd entrée at dinner and they are always passing out "champagne" at the Captain's Reception. Even a cake for a special occasion is pretty standard.

Sometimes you get something by simply being polite.  We received champagne and chocolate covered strawberries from an officer.  I believe it was because we sought him out to compliment his staff for going out of their way to assist us.  Similarly, we received a bottle of wine once and flowers another time  from the chief housekeeper when we complimented a public area cleaner who we noticed.  We don’t compliment them for freebies, we like to share what a great job they are doing when it is a thankless job.  

• Like 7

I've learned to never, ever ask for a cake for a special occasion.

We did once, for my husband's birthday, to be served at dinner.  Asked for it the night before.  Next night, the birthday, nothing happened.  I expressed my disappointment as we were leaving the dining room that night.  Deer in the headlights OMG so sorry!  Later that night we had the cake delivered to our cabin, then the next night another at dinner.  I don't need that many cakes, we just wanted the "Happy birthday" recognition.

Better just to keep mouth shut and celebrate privately.

• Haha 1

Our airline lost all THREE pieces of our luggage for our 30th anniversary cruise...and it took NINE days for them to catch up with us.  No fault of Celebrity at all.  We managed to pick up a change of clothes before boarding, assuming the luggage was not far behind.   When we checked in with no luggage, that flagged us.

On board, customer service provided us with the staples we needed, a couple of free t-shirts each, and free next -day laundry as long as we needed it.  A couple days in, am officer approaches us as we sat in a line reading ...ended being the head of customer service onboard, came over and introduced himself, and asked us how we were doing.  We found that odd...that he had picked us out.  He then explained that he "knew" we had not gotten or luggage...one of three on the cruise in that situation.  Apparently the shirts they give out are dead give aways under the circumstances.  But he knew exactly who we were and what our situation was.

The fact that he knew our individual circumstances, and that customer service did everything they could to make things as best they could for us -- including giving us "free" stuff -- is one reason we're sticking with Celebrity throughout this whole situation.

Edited by PSULion101
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I wouldn't consider the 3 listed "free" items either free or a perk. A charm for visiting a gift shop - more like a come on to me.  Everyone can get a 2nd entrée at dinner and they are always passing out "champagne" at the Captain's Reception. Even a cake for a special occasion is pretty standard.

Agree. Those items were listed in the video but I think most people would agree that they are not freebies. 

Several years ago I was on the Silhouette and my cabin key constantly would not work. Must went back and forth to Guest Services 4-5 times for a 7 day cruise to get a new keys. Funny the wife's key worked all the time. They felt sorry for me and gave me a bottle of wine. 😉 And they did not charge me a corkage fee when I asked them to open it 😉

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I just watched a video on Youtube called 6 Things You Can Get For Free On a Cruise if You Ask.  Of course I was intrigued so I clicked on the link.  There was actually nothing in the video that I didn't already know and most of it was not of much value (to me).  But it got me wondering if there are some things of value that people get for free by just asking. 

So, have you gotten a freebie from Celebrity just because you asked?  Please share your experience.

Georgia Peaches, 

Have been lucky over the years to get a few freebies over the years. 

2 - 1 cabin offer on the Panama Canal on the Galaxy in 2000. My dad got his cabin for free. 

Dinner at the Captain's table when they still did that with photos of my Wife and I with the Captain and a table shot. 

All at the table got a voucher to eat at Murano 

Lunch with the Captain and his wife in his private quarters and a personal visit to the bridge and engine room - I know there are not many on here who have ever done that. My most treasured moment on Celebrity. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PSULion101 said:

Our airline lost all THREE pieces of our luggage for our 30th anniversary cruise...and it took NINE days for them to catch up with us.  No fault of Celebrity at all.  We managed to pick up a change of clothes before boarding, assuming the luggage was not far behind.   When we checked in with no luggage, that flagged us.

On board, customer service provided us with the staples we needed, a couple of free t-shirts each, and free next -day laundry as long as we needed it.  A couple days in, am officer approaches us as we sat in a line reading ...ended being the head of customer service onboard, came over and introduced himself, and asked us how we were doing.  We found that odd...that he had picked us out.  He then explained that he "knew" we had not gotten or luggage...one of three on the cruise in that situation.  Apparently the shirts they give out are dead give aways under the circumstances.  But he knew exactly who we were and what our situation was.

The fact that he knew our individual circumstances, and that customer service did everything they could to make things as best they could for us -- including giving us "free" stuff -- is one reason we're sticking with Celebrity throughout this whole situation.

We can beat your 9 days of lost luggage- try an entire 14 night cruise preceeded by 7 nights Berlin-Prague-Amsterdam!

Celebrity was wonderful to us- especially kudos to Niko Bella the concierge who was on the phone daily with the now defunct AirBerlin trying to locate our missiing luggage. 

Further praise to our wonderful roll call members who brought extra warm clothing for us since we would be as far north as the Shetland Islands.

• Like 4

Celebrity Freebies!

Key chain on my birthday as Classic CC member.

Chocolate covered strawberries.

Sailaway from the heliport.

Reunion Cruise Perks- as Elite being treated to a wonderful evening at the Codorniu Winery near Barcelona where we were welcomed by the crew with applause as we left our bus. Plus there were gifts at bedtime nightly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, osborne66 said:

Georgia Peaches, 

Have been lucky over the years to get a few freebies over the years. 

2 - 1 cabin offer on the Panama Canal on the Galaxy in 2000. My dad got his cabin for free. 

Dinner at the Captain's table when they still did that with photos of my Wife and I with the Captain and a table shot. 

All at the table got a voucher to eat at Murano 

Lunch with the Captain and his wife in his private quarters and a personal visit to the bridge and engine room - I know there are not many on here who have ever done that. My most treasured moment on Celebrity. 

I forgot about our private tour of the bridge on Royal Jewel.  We did not get lunch with Captain however on The Connie we were invited to Dine with an Officer in the Wine Room by Captain's Club.  Also sail away on copter deck with drinks on 2 different cruises.

Edited by Snit13
add

13 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Sometimes you get something by simply being polite.  We received champagne and chocolate covered strawberries from an officer.  I believe it was because we sought him out to compliment his staff for going out of their way to assist us.  Similarly, we received a bottle of wine once and flowers another time  from the chief housekeeper when we complimented a public area cleaner who we noticed.  We don’t compliment them for freebies, we like to share what a great job they are doing when it is a thankless job.  

Yes this actually happened to us as well.  We just stopped and chatted with the former CD on Silhouette.  She sent us a nice note and chocolate covered strawberries.  

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Celebrity Freebies!

Key chain on my birthday as Classic CC member.

Chocolate covered strawberries.

Sailaway from the heliport.

Reunion Cruise Perks- as Elite being treated to a wonderful evening at the Codorniu Winery near Barcelona where we were welcomed by the crew with applause as we left our bus. Plus there were gifts at bedtime nightly.

Hi!  We were on that Reunion cruise too.  What a wonderful experience!

• Like 1