Breathalyser to detect Covid?

On 6/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, Billy Baltic said:

There’s a difference between failing preboarding medical and failing a test when returning from a port visit. As the op says,  will they leave people in port. If you were on an excursion will they have to leave all participants in port? What about the people you had breakfast with that morning? Or the rep at guest services when you picked up your tickets? Or your stateroom attendant.......

One way of doing it is to screen Paxs before entering the terminal.  When i sailed on the Quantum out of Bayonne, there were RCL reps with I Pads taking pictures, other check in info, and asking the health questions.  The screening could be done outside the terminal.

Funny, recently, when I visited a relative in the Hospital, the only screening by security was to take my temperature and write the results on the visitor's label.  Sometimes, a second temperature reading was taken  at the nurse's station.

• 5 months later...

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/multi-unit-covid-19-breathalyzer-system-can-screen-1000-cruisers-hour

A new COVID-19 breathalyzer screening offers a 'groundbreaking solution for the maritime industry,' said Peter Hult, CEO of Vikand Solutions.

Using eight or nine units it can screen 1,000 people in an hour — the kind of volume that would facilitate big-ship cruising. 'This is really powerful, and the tests cost only $5,' Hult said. He reported strong interest from cruise lines and terminal operators.

Today, Vikand, which exclusively represents the system to the cruise and maritime industry globally, shared details during a by-invitation webinar.

Here's how it works: A person puffs three times into a small plastic test tube with a QR code. This tube is scanned and loaded into a portable machine where the breath sample is read by a spectrum scanner, producing results in 45 seconds. The results can be securely sent wherever the operator specifies.

The findings come back as 'clear' or 'suspect.' If suspect, a PCR test would be needed.

Not a medical test so CLIA waiver is expected

The machine can conduct 100 tests per hour. No reagent is needed. Since it is not a medical test but rather a screening test, it does not require medically trained personnel to administer. That's why it is expected to receive a waiver under the US Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments.

The breathalyzer employs the first commercially viable terahertz technology, developed by the Tera Group, to screen asymptomatic people in a fast, safe, noninvasive, reliable and affordable way.

Tera Group has invested more than $100m in research and development, with more than 225 patents. Terahertz is a frequency on the light spectrum that has a special relationship with water. Since the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule resonate with terahertz, this makes it possible to 'see' organic material in the body, including viruses.

The test is highly sensitive; only 10 to 15 virus copies are needed for detection, versus many thousands for a PCR test. This means it can detect COVID-19 infection 'as early as Day 1. This is really where this test shines. Others require higher viral loads,' noted Brian Cohen, director of BioSafety, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tera Group.

This is particularly important since people are highly contagious while they're still asymptomatic.

FDA approval pending

The system has been tested on 15,000 people in independent, blind trials around the world, including in the US. An application for emergency use authorization was filed with the US Federal Drug Administration in July and is pending the ongoing US trials, whose results are expected to be submitted by year's end. Cohen estimated EUA could be available in mid to late January.

As for Europe, a CE exemption is expected 'in a matter of weeks.'

This is a machine learning (AI) system so it gets smarter the more data that's input, including the ability to detect mutations.

Latest test results

The most recent trials, from Brazil, produced specificity of 96%, sensitivity of 94% and negative predictive value of 99% which Cohen called 'really impressive.'

The expectation, as trials continue, is that the false negative rate will be .01% and the false positive rate, 2%. A .01% false negative rate would mean that 'everyone our system says is negative, is negative,' Cohen said.

In indicating an RT-PCR test at embarkation, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sets a high bar for cruise operators. Only a limited number of tests can be performed per hour, each test costs at least $40 (but can range up to $120), medically trained personnel must do the swabbing, a reagent is needed and the machines are costly.

Lease the unit by buying the test tubes

The breathalyzer is available under a testing service model, which leases each system for the prepaid initial purchase of 82,000 Tera Tubes at a cost of under $5 per test. That puts the price for a unit at around $400,000, including a maintenance plan. Companies that lease the system may reorder the tubes in increments. (The used plastic tubes, treated as a biohazard, can be sterilized and recycled.)

BioSafety Director Rafael Calderon pointed out that medical personnel and a laboratory are not needed, presenting hefty savings compared to RT-PCR.

Once the breathalyzer solution achieves FDA approval, it is hoped the CDC is receptive to this alternative test. Vikand's Hult believes that will be the case. He would be surprised if the agency insists cruise lines use a test requiring reagent when that's sorely needed in the healthcare industry.

Norovirus, drug and alcohol screening and more

There's another case for the Tera Group technology: It's a universal system. By developing new biomarkers, it can be used to screen for norovirus — discussions have already begun to set up a protocol for that — as well as bacterial diseases, drugs and alcohol and future viruses that pose threats.

As Cohen said, 'This goes beyond COVID.'

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/multi-unit-covid-19-breathalyzer-system-can-screen-1000-cruisers-hour

A new COVID-19 breathalyzer screening offers a 'groundbreaking solution for the maritime industry,' said Peter Hult, CEO of Vikand Solutions.

Using eight or nine units it can screen 1,000 people in an hour — the kind of volume that would facilitate big-ship cruising. 'This is really powerful, and the tests cost only $5,' Hult said. He reported strong interest from cruise lines and terminal operators.

Today, Vikand, which exclusively represents the system to the cruise and maritime industry globally, shared details during a by-invitation webinar.

Here's how it works: A person puffs three times into a small plastic test tube with a QR code. This tube is scanned and loaded into a portable machine where the breath sample is read by a spectrum scanner, producing results in 45 seconds. The results can be securely sent wherever the operator specifies.

The findings come back as 'clear' or 'suspect.' If suspect, a PCR test would be needed.

Not a medical test so CLIA waiver is expected

The machine can conduct 100 tests per hour. No reagent is needed. Since it is not a medical test but rather a screening test, it does not require medically trained personnel to administer. That's why it is expected to receive a waiver under the US Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments.

The breathalyzer employs the first commercially viable terahertz technology, developed by the Tera Group, to screen asymptomatic people in a fast, safe, noninvasive, reliable and affordable way.

Tera Group has invested more than $100m in research and development, with more than 225 patents. Terahertz is a frequency on the light spectrum that has a special relationship with water. Since the hydrogen bonds in a water molecule resonate with terahertz, this makes it possible to 'see' organic material in the body, including viruses.

The test is highly sensitive; only 10 to 15 virus copies are needed for detection, versus many thousands for a PCR test. This means it can detect COVID-19 infection 'as early as Day 1. This is really where this test shines. Others require higher viral loads,' noted Brian Cohen, director of BioSafety, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tera Group.

This is particularly important since people are highly contagious while they're still asymptomatic.

FDA approval pending

The system has been tested on 15,000 people in independent, blind trials around the world, including in the US. An application for emergency use authorization was filed with the US Federal Drug Administration in July and is pending the ongoing US trials, whose results are expected to be submitted by year's end. Cohen estimated EUA could be available in mid to late January.

As for Europe, a CE exemption is expected 'in a matter of weeks.'

This is a machine learning (AI) system so it gets smarter the more data that's input, including the ability to detect mutations.

Latest test results

The most recent trials, from Brazil, produced specificity of 96%, sensitivity of 94% and negative predictive value of 99% which Cohen called 'really impressive.'

The expectation, as trials continue, is that the false negative rate will be .01% and the false positive rate, 2%. A .01% false negative rate would mean that 'everyone our system says is negative, is negative,' Cohen said.

In indicating an RT-PCR test at embarkation, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sets a high bar for cruise operators. Only a limited number of tests can be performed per hour, each test costs at least $40 (but can range up to $120), medically trained personnel must do the swabbing, a reagent is needed and the machines are costly.

Lease the unit by buying the test tubes

The breathalyzer is available under a testing service model, which leases each system for the prepaid initial purchase of 82,000 Tera Tubes at a cost of under $5 per test. That puts the price for a unit at around $400,000, including a maintenance plan. Companies that lease the system may reorder the tubes in increments. (The used plastic tubes, treated as a biohazard, can be sterilized and recycled.)

BioSafety Director Rafael Calderon pointed out that medical personnel and a laboratory are not needed, presenting hefty savings compared to RT-PCR.

Once the breathalyzer solution achieves FDA approval, it is hoped the CDC is receptive to this alternative test. Vikand's Hult believes that will be the case. He would be surprised if the agency insists cruise lines use a test requiring reagent when that's sorely needed in the healthcare industry.

Norovirus, drug and alcohol screening and more

There's another case for the Tera Group technology: It's a universal system. By developing new biomarkers, it can be used to screen for norovirus — discussions have already begun to set up a protocol for that — as well as bacterial diseases, drugs and alcohol and future viruses that pose threats.

As Cohen said, 'This goes beyond COVID.'

Interesting 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You should do a search class and post on YouTube. Lol

Too bad CC modified the search to 1 yr limit - now you have to search via Google and hope it finds something for anything older than that. Resurrections are becoming very rare.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, crewsweeper said:

But can you imagine the reviews and complaint posts here.  "Royal Ruined My Family's Cruise Before We Boarded!!"

So be it. If you are still in denial in the pandemic world we live in that this couldn't happen, then consider that action a wake up call.  For every complaint there will be 2 people cheering good job and another one posting "Welcome to Cruise Critic".

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So be it. If you are still in denial in the pandemic world we live in that this couldn't happen, then consider that action a wake up call.  For every complaint there will be 2 people cheering good job. 

You do realize you quoted a post from 5 months ago?

Just now, bouhunter said:

You do realize you quoted a post from 5 months ago?

LOL. I didn't look at the date and never saw the topic posted before. I thought it was interesting. When I did look back at when it was originally posted I realized that I must have missed it because I returned to work on June 15th. Too bad it never worked out. It sounded like a good test.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

LOL. I didn't look at the date and never saw the topic posted before. I thought it was interesting. When I did look back at when it was originally posted I realized that I must have missed it because I returned to work on June 15th. Too bad it never worked out. It sounded like a good test.

Blame it on Biker 🙂

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
Intercruises Shoreside & Port Services and Vikand Solutions expanded their partnership to implement efficient COVID-19 testing in cruise terminals using breathalyzer technology.

Their COVID-19 Cruise Terminal Testing Solution is an end-to-end, noninvasive system for travelers, crew and terminal staff, with the ability to detect the virus in 45 seconds.

Comprising individual breathalyzer tubes and portable scanning stations, its high throughput COVID-19 testing technology is now available to support the resumption of global cruising and the wider maritime industry. With local presence in ports around the world, Intercruises will help deliver the testing solution by providing in-terminal management and logistical support.

'We have already seen that the safe return to cruising is possible, enabled by the correct health and safety protocols, including testing. The partnership we have with Vikand and their breakthrough technology will help advance this process and the ongoing resumption of our industry,' Intercruises Managing Director Olga Piqueras said.

'Intercruises’ global presence and local teams are a critical component in this initiative, enabling us to provide testing that cruise lines, ports and terminal operators can easily implement with minimal investment,' added Damien O’Connor, EVP Vikand Testing Solutions. 'Together we offer tremendous value to the industry by delivering this crucial, emerging healthcare technology.'

CE approved

Created by BioSafety Technologies and approved by the Conformitè Europëenne, the noninvasive breathalyzer technology delivers results within 45 seconds. Portable and scalable, it can be administered by non-medically trained personnel.

The breathalyzer uses terahertz (300-3,000GHz) frequencies to detect the presence of COVID-19 by identifying the bio-spectral fingerprints found in the exhaled breath aerosol of the individual.

It identifies COVID-19-free (negative) individuals while also detecting the virus in its early stages. The technology has been trialed by more than 10,000 individuals during a worldwide pilot program and validated by PCR testing.

High accuracy

According to the trials, results are highly accurate, equivalent to PCR sensitivity and specificity, and may be paired with recognized PCR technologies like Abbot ID Now.

The breathalyzer is the current screening process used in the Dominican Republic for flights to the US by Delta Air Lines and American Airlines.

Seatrade Cruise Virtual/Seatrade Cruise Review

Piqueras will be discussing the testing solution during Wednesday's Seatrade Cruise Virtual: Tech & Innovation, and more information is available in the latest edition of Seatrade Cruise Review (see 'Vaccination key but testing still critical,' an interview with Vikand Solutions CEO Peter Hult).

Intercruises, Vikand's innovative COVID-19 testing at cruise terminals (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 1

How about dogs? They can sniff out drugs, seizures, cancer, dead bodies and many other things. They can smell one drop of urine in a 55 gallon drum of water. They should be at airports, cruise terminals, anywhere else that needs to be searched, an are highly effective. Arent they already using them at some ports? Galveston had them walking through the rows of luggage, before passengers were disembarked. They also used them when 9/11 happened, we were waiting for our flight from Calgary to Dallas and they had dogs walking through the passengers at the gates. 

18 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

How about dogs? They can sniff out drugs, seizures, cancer, dead bodies and many other things. They can smell one drop of urine in a 55 gallon drum of water. They should be at airports, cruise terminals, anywhere else that needs to be searched, an are highly effective. Arent they already using them at some ports? Galveston had them walking through the rows of luggage, before passengers were disembarked. They also used them when 9/11 happened, we were waiting for our flight from Calgary to Dallas and they had dogs walking through the passengers at the gates. 

I can't imagine being rejected for a cruise or being booted off one because a dog said I was sick.  This is what we've come to, people ready to sign up for that.

And FYI the dogs you've seen were looking for drugs, fruit, explosives etc. 

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

I can't imagine being rejected for a cruise or being booted off one because a dog said I was sick.  This is what we've come to, people ready to sign up for that.

And FYI the dogs you've seen were looking for drugs, fruit, explosives etc. 

No that is not true. Last crujse on Liberty of the seas there was a veteran with PTSD and he had a beautiful German Shepherd named Helen. She could sense when he was due to have night terrors, by the way he was breathing and could smell by his perspiration.She weighed 110 pounds and jumps on top of him so he would wake up. Google it for what dogs can do for medical purposes, such as low blood sugar for diabetics.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, crewsweeper said:

If these do get approval and do work in the real world,  they could be very helpful.

I can see something along this line used in preboarding and for crew members.  But unless a particular port is experiencing and outbreak, or, like Grand Turk, requiring certification of no cases, not sure there's any reason to run a test on reboarding.  Supposedly this device would pick up asymptomatic cases too.

As far as original embarkation, if you show test positive, they just don't let you on board.  Put a statement as such in the cruise contract.  Disrupts a family's vacay? Yes, but so be it.

If I was required to do this each time I left the ship and then returned, I simply would not cruise. If they allow me and/or my party onto the ship, they have a responsibility to get our asses home as well. If they can not accept this responsibility they should not be accepting monies and cruising. 

42 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

No that is not true. Last crujse on Liberty of the seas there was a veteran with PTSD and he had a beautiful German Shepherd named Helen. She could sense when he was due to have night terrors, by the way he was breathing and could smell by his perspiration.She weighed 110 pounds and jumps on top of him so he would wake up. Google it for what dogs can do for medical purposes, such as low blood sugar for diabetics.

Uh, you were talking about dogs looking at luggage.......

22 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Uh, you were talking about dogs looking at luggage.......

I was talking about both. They can sniff luggage AND they can sniff illness. Anytime someone says uh they are ridiculing or dismissing. Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

Think that's ended now, most Cruise/Travel and other Businesses don't allow Emotional Support Animals anymore. Medical needs like the Diabetics and if Dog is trained that's different

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Think that's ended now, most Cruise/Travel and other Businesses don't allow Emotional Support Animals anymore. Medical needs like the Diabetics and if Dog is trained that's different

I am not referring to the phoney "therapy" dogs. I am talking about true service dogs that costs about $25,000.00 to train, and patient  has to train on site with the dog for 6 weeks. It is remarkable what dogs are capable of. Military have first option to receive a dog, unless blind.