Where are you spending your STAYCATION?

cynt

5 minutes ago, khewston said:

Thanks!  We have been camping for about 20 years and this is our 4th and last RV.  Spending time on cape cod and Myrtle Beach this summer.  Next year will be Destin, Florida!

So nice!  I could live in that thing.  It looks so nice and comfortable.  Have a wonderful summer!

9 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

I have off week after next. I'm debating between vacationing in my living room, or maybe in the guest bedroom as a change of scenery. Perhaps the garage now that it's cleaned out.

Finally, another post about a true staycation instead of non cruise vacations being mentioned.  IMHO, the only fascinating vacation post was the fantastic looking place that Tapi stayed at.

• Thanks 1

After having 3 trips cancelled this year already I just spent the last 3 days off work and home taking care of my son who had surgery Wednesday.  I have been working from home since mid-March and it was just nice to not have to get up and work. He has been a trooper and is healing well.  Back to work tomorrow.

Not a staycation but our only real trip this year looks like the long weekend we have planned for Independence Day.  We have a cabin booked for 3 nights near Asheville, NC and will spend 2 days hiking in the Pisgah National Forest.  Plan to check out some of the film locations for Hunger Games and Last of the Mohicans.

Not sure what will happen with our October cruise.  I do know we are not to keen on going to Florida any time soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Finally, another post about a true staycation instead of non cruise vacations being mentioned.  IMHO, the only fascinating vacation post was the fantastic looking place that Tapi stayed at.

Yes, I agree a better title to the thread would have been “Where are you spending your vacation now that cruising isn’t an option?” But hindsight always happens when it’s too late to change 😆  I have enjoyed reading about others’ plans. I am jealous of those actually having their own pools or RV.  I guess those are “real” staycations (does RV count since it is a home but doesn’t stay put?).

It’s fun to learn about some different beach vacations in the U.S. that I’m not aware of. I always try to talk up Pass-a-Grill on St. Pete Beach. It really is a throwback to a small beach town. Of course, now that St. Pete is going all-in on masks, that may be a less relaxing vacation. Deadmoney, are St. Pete's restrictions the same as the Keys (anything with a roof) and as long (June 2021)?

10 hours ago, khewston said:

Thanks!  We have been camping for about 20 years and this is our 4th and last RV.  Spending time on cape cod and Myrtle Beach this summer.  Next year will be Destin, Florida!

We go to the Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area every 4th (where we will eventually be retiring). That pic of Crab Island I posted previously is in view of Destin Beach, just look to the other side of the Destin bridge! You will definitely feel like you are on a hopping cruise ship pool deck 🙂 

• Like 1

Since a STAYCATION means staying home that's what I'm doing.

It still remains to be seen what will be open nearby in the next few weeks as far as beaches and restaurants but I'm content to stay put and do nothing...LOL

Hoping to cruise again in the winter!

On 6/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, cynt said:

We stop at https://buc-ees.com/. Best bathrooms ever! Hands down!  Plan to spend an hour there. Just cause.

This is just a fun thread and to help some of us get creative ideas. So don't be shy.

OK, I'll bite. What could you possibly do in a roadside bathroom for an hour?

• Haha 1

Trying to find a Gulf/FL beach to go to now!  This is the second cancelled cruise and I’m afraid to even rebook before next summer!  And...NO, this isn’t a staycation post!  I live in the Great Smoky Mountains of NC and enjoy reading where everyone is going!  Ideas are extremely welcome!! 

• Like 4

My May Alaska Cruise had cancelled and so glad put FCC on an October 2021 Panama Cruise on the Pride.  Figured that would be plenty of time for this to calm down.  Was going to head down to Tampa to visit friends but since things are elevating there we are just going to stay home, do day trips and spend a lot of money putting siding on our house! 🤑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disneyfan551 said:

Trying to find a Gulf/FL beach to go to now!  This is the second cancelled cruise and I’m afraid to even rebook before next summer!  And...NO, this isn’t a staycation post!  I live in the Great Smoky Mountains of NC and enjoy reading where everyone is going!  Ideas are extremely welcome!! 

We love visiting the Destin area.  The sand is white and the water is a pretty emerald color.  It's so nice and usually there is usually a lot to do in the area.  We will be there at the end of August.

10 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

It's a giant gas station/travel center. Like a big truck stop, but for all travelers. I think they just meant it has the nicest bathrooms they've seen at such a place, but they can spend an hour doing whatever else there is to do there. Or, maybe they just REALLY appreciate a good bathroom and like to linger. 😆 I kid, I kid.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PittsburghGirlee said:

I love GLAMPING.....I have a trailer of my own at a perm spot that Ive been spending most of my Furlough atemoji1303.pngemoji894.pngemoji488.pngemoji91.png!!

Do you go outside? I can't tell you how many times we've been at a campground and watched a huge motor coach or big ole 5th wheel pull in next door and the people never come outside. LOL

13 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

12 hours ago, Joe817 said:

:classic_laugh:   🤣   No comment!

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

It's a giant gas station/travel center. Like a big truck stop, but for all travelers. I think they just meant it has the nicest bathrooms they've seen at such a place, but they can spend an hour doing whatever else there is to do there. Or, maybe they just REALLY appreciate a good bathroom and like to linger. 😆 I kid, I kid.

LOL! As Chaos mentioned they have nice bathrooms and I could spend an hour perusing inside the store. It is literally a Wally world sized QT, 7-11, Love's, etc. They sell everything and anything plus gas. 

And the crazy thing is we passed a 2nd Bucee's in FL as we made our way to Pensacola. 

20200621_111316.jpg

• Like 1

This is my sitting on the cruise ship balcony reenactment.  I could here the waves crashing on the beach. It was a wonderful feeling. Instead of the deep blues of the ocean as we cruise the Caribbean, I could see turquoise greens and blues and smell the fresh relaxing scent of the ocean. If you close your eyes you can be transported to your favorite ship and sitting on your balcony or out on deck.

This is the closest I could get to the real thing (cruising) and I am so enjoying it. 

20200621_144747.jpg

Edited by cynt
  • Like 3

We always staycation in the summer and save our travel dollars for our cold winters.  

I live in Nova Scotia, we are 12 days without a new case and 1 active case currently in hospital in the province.  They are currently talking of an Atlantic “bubble” soon ( nova scotia, new brunswick, newfoundland and pei) and opening up to the other provinces by mid July. 

Might even check out Peggy’s Cove this summer, which we would normally avoid.

• Like 2

Staycation. Staying on land.

We have Vegas planned now, as well as a trip to Glacier National Park. Both are cancelable, if necessary due to the crud.

Cruise is still booked for February - hopefully the Imagination is not axed.

Been watching The Love Boat on MEtv on Sundays, laughing and getting at least a tiny bit of fake cruising.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, cynt said:

So, I have finally wrapped my mind around no planes or cruise vacations this year. Staycation it will be for us this summer while practicing social distancing of course. ROAD TRIP!!  All I see is the movie National Lampoon's Vacation.  One of the funniest craziest stupidest family movies ever!

So where are you and your family going to explore on your STAYCATION?

What's your favorite road trip food? 

Where do you have to stop on each family road trip?

We've already been to the state park about an hour from our house. Hiked and had a great time in the wilderness. We disconnected from the electronics because both of us working from home has been quite the experience. Next up, we're getting a beach house along the coast.  We're on the beach so we'll enjoy the crashing waves from our patio.  This is the closest thing I could find to a cruise. LOL!!  But YIKES!!! It's more expensive than a week cruise in a balcony cabin for 2.  And I'm not getting free meals, entertainment nor free ice cream.  SIGH!?!?!?  And I have to cook and clean up if we don't dine out breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.  Momma is not happy but you gotta do, what you gotta do.  I've always said cruising was a great value vacation. And that still holds true. 

Our favorite road trip food is summer sausage, cheese and crackers.  We never travel without them. O and sunflower seeds and Dr. Pepper if I'm driving.

We stop at https://buc-ees.com/. It's like a truck stop for cars on steroids. Best bathrooms ever! Hands down!  Plan to spend an hour there. Just cause.  It's like a Wally World gas station.

This is just a fun thread and to help some of us get creative ideas about some STAYCATIONS.  So don't be shy, where are you going on your staycation?  

We currently have a cruise booked on the Mardi Gras for December.  I have a strong feeling it will be canceled and even if it doesn't we will likely push it back to October of next year.  In it's place we have decided to rent a 35 ft motor home and are heading out to ND to visit our DS next month.  DD and her boyfriend will be coming with us.  The plan is to pick DS up in Minot and head out to Theodore Roosevelt National Park and Medora for some sightseeing, biking and golfing.  This, IMHO, is the safest way to travel right now.  We don't have to stop anywhere to use public restrooms since we will be self contained and I will make sure to have all groceries picked up curb side before we leave.  This will be as safe as we can go and I will get to see my son whom I haven't seen since Christmas.  But I will definitely miss my cruise and we will be booking the same room, same ship and try again for next year.  Not canceling just pushing it back a year.  I have to say that this trip to ND is ending up being much more expensive than our booked cruise with an Aft Balcony room was and we have to do all the cooking and cleaning (ughh).  But we have 2 more people going with us, plus the dog and the cat, and picking up a 3rd so I guess that evens that out a little bit.  So we will see if our vacation turns out a little more like RV (with Robin Williams) than National Lampoon's Vacation 😅.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cynt said:

LOL! As Chaos mentioned they have nice bathrooms and I could spend an hour perusing inside the store. It is literally a Wally world sized QT, 7-11, Love's, etc. They sell everything and anything plus gas. 

And the crazy thing is we passed a 2nd Bucee's in FL as we made our way to Pensacola.

I see on their website that all but one of them are in Texas. That explains it...everything's bigger in Texas.

• Like 1

Family and I live in Western NY.  Niagara Falls, Letchworth Park, Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Zor Valley, Presque Isle (PA) are all within 1.5 hour drive (at the most).  We will do a lot of hiking and boating this summer.  

I’m stunned at how many people are vacationing this summer! I’m jealous; I miss the sun, sea, and warmth so much! Being in AK makes it harder to have any getaways during this time because we have to fly everywhere out of state. The popular camping/fishing/exploring towns here are seeing the biggest increase in cases, considering their small populations, so I’m not eager to go camping.