Cruise industry announces US sailing suspension extended until Sept. 15

shof515

34 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

At this point, you’d think they would come up with something instead of taking the big ZERO on income. 

I have ideas. A cruise to nowhere would be easier because you could test everyone and not let them off of the ship until the cruise is over.

I’d like to create a loophole to allow cruises to nowhere with the condition that the crew must be from the US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.

Mostly creates jobs for our neighbors to the south which hopefully has a positive impact on our southern border...and we get to cruise.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, coevan said:

We have traveled all over the world and have never had to produce vaccination records. 

Then your travels have been confined to canned tourist destinations.

Anyway, the cruise lines don't go to places where they are required. But they are required for certain countries or at least destinations within those countries.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I have ideas. A cruise to nowhere would be easier because you could test everyone and not let them off of the ship until the cruise is over.

I’d like to create a loophole to allow cruises to nowhere with the condition that the crew must be from the US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras.

Mostly creates jobs for our neighbors to the south which hopefully has a positive impact on our southern border...and we get to cruise.

Greg for CFO or COO or some fancy 3 lettered title at Carnival. 

2 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Greg for CFO or COO or some fancy 3 lettered title at Carnival. 

How about CSP(Chief of Strategic Planning)?  Catchy, eh? I like it! 

Good ideas Greg, really. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

On a roll call someone posted that they got a email from a friend who guides excursions and the mayor posted in the paper for roatan cruising ships will not be allowed until into 2021. 

I have a jan 3rd cruise there, dont remember but my oct 4th cruise might also stop there.

So maybe the mainland of honduras will allow crew, but roatan will not allow a cruise to dock. The crew might be a while able to get home. ... assuming they can fly out. 

And what about the problem canada has closed its border to us?

Edited by firefly333

There are have been threads on the idea of cruises to nowhere. Your idea is not original.

Due to legal rulings foreign flagged ships can’t do cruises to nowhere with non US citizens as crew who don’t have the proper work visa. Those were deemed by the cruise lines as too difficult and expensive to obtain.

Further the current US government is adverse to immigrants. An executive order has been issued suspending guest worker visas to the end of the year. They have no interest in having a positive impact on our southern border.

So a cruise to nowhere is not how anyone will get to cruise out of a US port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

But then they would also have to test all of their employees. And then what happens when they release thousands of people into a several foreign countries then let them back on the ship? Do they test everyone getting back on the ship at each port? Or do they just test you getting off of the ship? Negative test gets to go home. Positive test gets to go to the hospital. And if you just test them getting off of the ship, what if the positive people passed it on to a bunch of crew members during the cruise?

The only way this works is a cruise to nowhere where everyone is tested before the cruise. Or a cruise bubble. Where the ships only visit private islands and closed off port areas where everyone is tested.

Good points...never really understood why we have these 55 cars in a line for the Covid Test. Let's say your test comes back Negative, but on the way home you contract Covid? We had a line of approximate 89 cars for the Covid test...Why?

They could cruise to the private islands and dock a night or 2 and cruise back. I'd go for that. In fact, our Oct 5 day cruise goes to private island and Nassau I do believe. They can cut Nassau and just do an overnight at the private island and I'd totally dig that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coevan said:

you know exactly what I mean 

Ha, ha, ha.  Of course I know what you meant.

This is Cruise Critic where every comment is scrutinized for accuracy.  Relevancy to the thread topic is not necessarily a concern.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Def like this idea

23 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

At this point, you’d think they would come up with something instead of taking the big ZERO on income. 

Yes.

And this should be the tipoff to cruisers as well as investors: The cruise lines have known exactly what they have to overcome because the CDC spelled it out in extraordinary detail. Back in March.

The fact that CCL, NCL and Royal haven't publicly put forward a detailed plan for resuming cruising is a clear signal ... that they've come up with no acceptable plan.  Only two possible conclusions from that:  Either the current executives and their health/scientific/legal advisors are utterly incompetent, or preventing COVID-19 transmission on a cruise ship just isn't going to happen under current conditions. 

Taking that ZERO on income for three months ... and deciding in June to stay shut down til October .... is a loud, blaring trumpet playing a song: Ain't got no plan.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2020 at 9:02 PM, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Yes.

And this should be the tipoff to cruisers as well as investors: The cruise lines have known exactly what they have to overcome because the CDC spelled it out in extraordinary detail. Back in March.

The fact that CCL, NCL and Royal haven't publicly put forward a detailed plan for resuming cruising is a clear signal ... that they've come up with no acceptable plan.  Only two possible conclusions from that:  Either the current executives and their health/scientific/legal advisors are utterly incompetent, or preventing COVID-19 transmission on a cruise ship just isn't going to happen under current conditions. 

Taking that ZERO on income for three months ... and deciding in June to stay shut down til October .... is a loud, blaring trumpet playing a song: Ain't got no plan.

Agreed.....some pattern.....open/close/3 months cancel  over and over and over.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I called later on in the day, but heard that calling in the morning might result in a much shorter wait time.  I really don't think it hurts to ask.  The worst that can happen is they say no.  But if they think they are going to cancel October sailings, it would be better to let you move your deposit instead of offering you an OBC when they cancel.

If this helps others here, I contacted my PVP.  She said the $50 pp cancel fee will still apply.  She said she MAY be able to extend the final payment date by one week, but to contact her one day before it's currently due.  More than likely we'll cancel and take the $100 hit and apply the the other $100 to a FCC since there's no refund available, per the current cancellation policy (ES fare).  Our October cruise will probably end up getting cancelled, but if CCL ends up filing bankruptcy, we'd rather lose $100 than $1600.  And we still have three others booked w/CCL and PCL after this one.