CDC Double Standard

Daniel A

So are face shields more like a splatter shield.  The droplets hit the shield and disapate; thus the person behind the shield is protected?  I had surgery yesterday and everyone in the operating room had both face masks and shields on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffa30 said:

Cruising is never going to start back up based on some of the attitudes on here. Dare I say, with the huge American clientele making up their passengers, the major cruise lines are never going to set sail again.

You are so correct.....the attitude here is that it is everyone for themselves and any ridiculous belief about COVID-19 goes.  COVID-19 Deniers are even at the highest level of the government and promote some real insane theories.  All you have to do is look at the states where the cases are really surging to see if those theories hold up.  They do not!  It is basically the local governments and corporations, like the airlines, that are taking charge and requiring safe guidelines be followed.    

Until COVID-19 is controllable, treatable or preventable cruise lines will be going no where in the US.  There is a big difference from being on a plane for 2 hours with everyone now required to wear a mask or they are banned from flying then on a 7 day cruise where everyone will probably do their own thing because cruise lines are notoriously lax in onboard enforcement of rules.

Plus, where are the cruise ships going to go with most EU countries and others too not wanting American tourists because of their flippant attitudes toward COVID-19 and lack of success at controlling it.   

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

.... It’s just a bad cold...”

You said it, which is really offensive to anyone with a loved one who has died from this ‘really bad cold’ or suffered from long term serious health effects.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, caribill said:

More and more evidence is showing that when healthy young people get the virus and do not show symptoms there are complications that do not show up for months. One such example is irreversible Type 1 Diabetes. Brain damage is also possible.

Where is all this evidence?  And why are we not hearing about it all over the news?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

American Airlines has announced they will be filling their planes to capacity starting July 1.  Where is the CDC on this?  Or is CDC only looking at cruise ships and leaving the airline industry alone?  How do PAX practice social distancing on a packed airplane?

Dont go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

That’s all fear mongering.  This is just a virus.  You get sick and then you get better or you don’t.  Just like the flu.

Can you post your medical credentials, so I can evaluate your comments against the recognized professionals?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

That’s all fear mongering.  This is just a virus.  You get sick and then you get better or you don’t.  Just like the flu.

As someone working on the front lines of this, this sort of attitude is truly scary.

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 15

58 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Where is all this evidence?  And why are we not hearing about it all over the news?

I asked the same thing in another thread, and got some rambling type answer that did not really answer the question. What really bothers me is the posters who seem to react with glee every time there is some article mentioning a possible side effect.  They will both say we do not know everything about this virus yet and accept anecdotal evidence of a possible side effect as proven. It's as if they want this situation to be even worse than it is now so they can so I told you so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Given the choice would you rather be dehydrated or die of Covid-19?

Unfortunately one of the problems with becoming dehydrated on a plane is that you are more likely to catch a virus.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-travel/air-travel-and-dehydration.aspx

So, the choice you have given is a false one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

You said it, which is really offensive to anyone with a loved one who has died from this ‘really bad cold’ or suffered from long term serious health effects.

It is a really bad cold.  You do understand that Covid 19 is in the cold virus family, right?  People die from colds, especially people who have other health problems and end up in a perfect storm situation.   But Covid 19 is not a common cold.  It is more severe.  But it has a very low death rate.  And we have more treatments now.  That’s part of why even though cases may be rising, death rates are going down.  This reality is not offensive— it’s just a part of life.

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Can you post your medical credentials, so I can evaluate your comments against the recognized professionals?

Do some research.  And talk to people who have actually had the virus.  It is not as presented in the media.  It is very much like the flu.

Edited by Cafedumonde

2 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

It is a really bad cold.  You do understand that Covid 19 is in the cold virus family, right?  People die from colds, especially people who have other health problems and end up in a perfect storm situation.   But Covid 19 is not a common cold.  It is more severe.  But it has a very low death rate.  And we have more treatments now.  That’s part of why even though cases may be rising, death rates are going down.  This reality is not offensive— it’s just a part of life.

We’re approaching 500,000 deaths from Covid-19 across the world which has happened in six months. Over  a quarter of them have happened in the US. The true number is likely to be much higher.

Cruising is never going to start again given people such as you.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

We’re approaching 500,000 deaths from Covid-19 across the world which has happened in six months. Over  a quarter of them have happened in the US. The true number is likely to be much higher.

Cruising is never going to start again given people such as you.

Overall deaths rates are not up statistically from previous years.  Covid has not contributed to additional death.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Yeah right....SMH......And did you know if we stopped testing we wouldn't have any cases?  Also if we didn't have pregnancy tests we wouldn't have any pregnancies.   Obviously a lot of you have not had anyone you love with this "common cold".  I for one have had 4 people I know die from this.  The youngest was 42 with know underlying health conditions.  And one was in the UK. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

We both know the COVID - 19 Deniers put a ridiculous spin on what is happening in the US with COVID-19 and especially in regards to cruising.  The results of their theories do not hold up against the reality of what is happening in the majority of states.

Reminds me of what my grandmother use to tell me which was "A man convicted against his will is of the same opinion still" or "It is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled."  We know who the fools are!!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Overall deaths rates are not up statistically from previous years.  Covid has not contributed to additional death.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/may/29/excess-deaths-uk-has-one-highest-levels-europe

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11898476/uk-death-rate-normal-time-of-year-covid-epidemic-shrinks/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Unfortunately one of the problems with becoming dehydrated on a plane is that you are more likely to catch a virus.

What did I miss, dehydration is a risk factor, LOL

I travel a lot, agree with the observation of TPAC why so many are so wacked after landing, too fat to start, drink nothing, sleep and wonder why they are beat or get sick when they land.

That won't help COVID though!

On 6/26/2020 at 8:57 AM, Daniel A said:

American Airlines has announced they will be filling their planes to capacity starting July 1.  Where is the CDC on this?  Or is CDC only looking at cruise ships and leaving the airline industry alone?  How do PAX practice social distancing on a packed airplane?

Gathering of more than 50 in a tight space for hours... seems no different than a cruise

Yes inconsistent, but I see the left and right do as they feel like not do as they say

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

Do some research.  And talk to people who have actually had the virus.  It is not as presented in the media.  It is very much like the flu.

I have never heard anyone who has recovered from the flu say that they felt like they were drowning.

I have heard such comments from several covid-19 survivors.  (not in person, in news broadcasts)

I have never heard of anyone with the flu being on a ventilator for 21+ days...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You are allowed to remove the masks for drinking or eating if allowed but then mask must go right back on.

Current research in regards to flying show that  that your risk within a confined space like an airplane comes down to three factors: the duration of the exposure,  your proximity to the source of the exposure (usually the row in front of you and in back of you which is 6 feet) and how infectious that source is. While there's no way to eliminate that risk, there are steps you can take to reduce your chance of picking up an illness on board an airplane like COVID-19.

These parameters are greatly increased on a cruise because the duration is usually longer and there is much more movement of people on a cruise so greater chance of contact.

Edited by PrincessLuver

18 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

You are allowed to remove the masks for drinking or eating if allowed but then mask must go right back on.

Current research in regards to flying show that  that your risk within a confined space like an airplane comes down to three factors: the duration of the exposure,  your proximity to the source of the exposure (usually the row in front of you and in back of you which is 6 feet) and how infectious that source is. While there's no way to eliminate that risk, there are steps you can take to reduce your chance of picking up an illness on board an airplane like COVID-19.

These parameters are greatly increased on a cruise because the duration is usually longer and there is much more movement of people on a cruise so greater chance of contact.

That is a tough call....cruises are longer duration, but you aren't spooning with total strangers in front and behind like recent seating configurations on aircraft.  I think six feet front, back and sides in the current model exposes you to a lot more than one row front and back.  I'm thinking about 15 people in a 6 foot radius.