Broadway theaters just extended closures until 1/3/21, so I doubt anyone will be sailing before then.

CineGraphic

If Broadway producers and theater owners can't find a way to safely seat people for a simple 2 hour performance, how can we expect a cruiseline to be able to house, feed, and entertain us safely for a week or two? I just don't see it happening.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199499/broadway-performance-suspension-extended-through-january-3/

45 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

If Broadway producers and theater owners can't find a way to safely seat people for a simple 2 hour performance, how can we expect a cruiseline to be able to house, feed, and entertain us safely for a week or two? I just don't see it happening.

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199499/broadway-performance-suspension-extended-through-january-3/

The airlines don't seem to have a problem seating people for 2 hours.

Maybe there is an issue with liability insurance.

• Like 2

Most other performance venues made similar announcements over the last couple of weeks.  In a theater setting, it's not just the audience you have to worry about but also the actors, musicians, and tech people putting on the show because they're there for a lot longer than just a single audience is.

Airline travel is transportation.  Cruising and shows are entertainment.

21 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Most other performance venues made similar announcements over the last couple of weeks.  In a theater setting, it's not just the audience you have to worry about but also the actors, musicians, and tech people putting on the show because they're there for a lot longer than just a single audience is.

I worked arena concerts for years. The average concert was an 18-21 hour day for me. Do I miss it? YES!!!

On another note:

Las Vegas Icon Cirque Du Soleil Files For Bankruptcy

In March, Cirque du Soleil shut down all 44 of its shows and laid off 95% of its work force, including more than 1,300 in Las Vegas in response to the covid shutdowns.

The filing also allows the company protection from creditors to reduce its debt load, reported to be at least $900 million, which is rather shocking for what has long been considered the Strip's most popular and lucrative show.

Singing and dancing are currently considered "super-spreader" activities and playing an instrument can create clouds of spit, too (depending on the instrument).  Imagine being on stage with a group of people eight times a week for 2-3 hours each time and sitting in that soup.  Although not always on the stage, the crew would be hanging around the periphery in the same environment for even more time as they're the first to arrive and last to leave.  I know there are currently studies being conducted to see what the science says and what factors may lead to mitigation, but I don't think anyone is too optimistic so far.  There might be the ability to do some limited types of performances (small, distanced groups or maybe solo shows).  That would work for one-off events but not anything that would expose the same group of people to each other day after day.  It's certainly an unprecedented time in many industries.  As the Cirque example shows, even the big brand names often don't have the resources to ride out a storm this big.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The airlines don't seem to have a problem seating people for 2 hours.

Maybe there is an issue with liability insurance.

More and more, the airlines are walking back their "we'll leave the middle seat empty" promise that they made,  The "big 3" - American, Delta, United have all recently said just that and said they will be flying full planes.  Bad enough when you had to fly in a full plane pre-COVID, but now you get to fly in a full plane with people pissed off that they have to wear a mask onboard.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

On another note:

Las Vegas Icon Cirque Du Soleil Files For Bankruptcy

In March, Cirque du Soleil shut down all 44 of its shows and laid off 95% of its work force, including more than 1,300 in Las Vegas in response to the covid shutdowns.

The filing also allows the company protection from creditors to reduce its debt load, reported to be at least $900 million, which is rather shocking for what has long been considered the Strip's most popular and lucrative show.

More discouraging news.  Friends locally who have spent money on season tickets for arts programs for the rest of the year--and one woman even booked 2021--are now wondering if  they will see any refunds as these performances are probably cancelled and, maybe, the theater goes bankrupt.  

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Singing and dancing are currently considered "super-spreader" activities and playing an instrument can create clouds of spit, too (depending on the instrument).  

Makes me wonder what will become of chorus and band in our school systems.

DW plays flute in a community band in the summer. The band has existed for going on 80 years and brags that rain or shine they never miss a performance. This year there will be none as there have been no rehearsals and the first concert was supposed to be this past Wednesday night.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

More discouraging news.  Friends locally who have spent money on season tickets for arts programs for the rest of the year--and one woman even booked 2021--are now wondering if  they will see any refunds as these performances are probably cancelled and, maybe, the theater goes bankrupt.  

900,000,000 million in debt tells me something stinks for a group that was always showing a profit. I suspect refunds are long gone.

I suspect someone or a group cashed out the equity and ran for the hills.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

900,000,000 million in debt tells me something stinks for a group that was always showing a profit. I suspect refunds are long gone.

I agree the big bosses sucked the company dry.

11 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Earlier today I happened to check my online account and was pleasantly surprised that my total refund (Princess) had posted earlier this week. So they have not yet stopped refunds. (It happened maybe a week or so short of 90 days from when we cancelled about a month before Princess cancelled.)

10 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I agree the big bosses sucked the company dry.

21 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Neither of these posts address the concern that I expressed that I have re-posted below.  

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Friends locally who have spent money on season tickets for arts programs for the rest of the year--and one woman even booked 2021--are now wondering if  they will see any refunds as these performances are probably cancelled and, maybe, the theater goes bankrupt.  

Bankruptcy of any of the cruise companies surely is a concern.  More so than it may for some if one holds equity in the companies.  That bridge is still months or more away.  There is just so much that none of us know. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, slidergirl said:

More and more, the airlines are walking back their "we'll leave the middle seat empty" promise that they made,  The "big 3" - American, Delta, United have all recently said just that and said they will be flying full planes.  Bad enough when you had to fly in a full plane pre-COVID, but now you get to fly in a full plane with people pissed off that they have to wear a mask onboard.  

Get your facts straight.

• Delta announced the they will continue leaving the middle seat open. They have actually extended this protocol until September. All flights capped at 60%. Fogging, deep cleaning, limited service items, social distancing protocols, mask requirements for passengers and crew, as well as new boarding procedures all remaining place. 
  • Southwest and JetBlue continue leaving the middle seat open through July.
  • No changes to United procedures of capping at 85%.
  • American is the only major going to 100% capacity in July with all seats taken.
  • For the record, planes haven’t been this clean since they probably came out of the factory. With all the protocols in place, they are probably some of the safest places to be these days. It’s no surprise that so far, only 0.5% of airline employees tested have been positive for covid, well below the national average.
Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Both posts are referring to the Cirque Du Soleil Bankruptcy.

Now read thru them again.

I did.  The title of the thread dealt with Broadway.  Comments made by me and others remain relevant in my opinion.  

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I did.  The title of the thread dealt with Broadway.  Comments made by me and others remain relevant in my opinion.  

OK, I see that. I think you will get refunds, but you never know if a bankruptcy occurs. 

18 hours ago, Tapi said:

Get your facts straight.

• Delta announced the they will continue leaving the middle seat open. They have actually extended this protocol until September. All flights capped at 60%. Fogging, deep cleaning, limited service items, social distancing protocols, mask requirements for passengers and crew, as well as new boarding procedures all remaining place. 
  • Southwest and JetBlue continue leaving the middle seat open through July.
  • No changes to United procedures of capping at 85%.
  • American is the only major going to 100% capacity in July with all seats taken.
  • For the record, planes haven’t been this clean since they probably came out of the factory. With all the protocols in place, they are probably some of the safest places to be these days. It’s no surprise that so far, only 0.5% of airline employees tested have been positive for covid, well below the national average.

Wow.  A tad aggressive.

I was wrong about Delta.  Mea Culpa.  United has had full flights - they will text you when that happens and give you the choice of taking another flight.  I never mentioned WN or B6, so no reason to bring that up.   

I do not believe that a plane is the safest place to be right now.  Sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers with suspect hygiene practices for 5 hours is not my idea of a safe place.  Some jokers will leave the mask off the entire flight under the guise of "well I'm eating/drinking my snack right now."  If there's a quick turnaround time due to a flight delay at arrival, do you really think the airline is going to keep the cleaning time to what it should be, having the flight depart late?  

52 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Wow.  A tad aggressive.

I do not believe that a plane is the safest place to be right now.  Sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers with suspect hygiene practices for 5 hours is not my idea of a safe place. 

If there's a quick turnaround time due to a flight delay at arrival, do you really think the airline is going to keep the cleaning time to what it should be, having the flight depart late?  

My apologies if my reply came across as aggressive. Unfortunately, a big reason why we are where we are in this pandemic is because of the dissemination of misinformation, not only about this topic, but so many others.  Chances are that someone will read that “the big 3 will fly full airplanes”, not fact check it, and spread that tidbit of misinformation. 

I have been flying on a weekly basis for work throughout the pandemic. And yes, what I’ve witnessed is thorough cleaning and strictly adhering to these protocols, even when running late. For example, a few days ago, we had to deplane after boarding due to a lengthy weather delay. Once the weather moved through, boarding was further delayed until the airplane was re-fogged and all seats and tray tables were deep cleaned again, even though the passengers getting back onboard where the same ones that had deplaned earlier. Procedures are in place and they are being very strict about them. I’ve consistently witnessed it over and over. And I haven’t sat “shoulder to shoulder” with anybody in months. 

I’ll agree that saying that a plane is the safest place to be right now may be a stretch, but I do consider them much safer than any supermarket, store, restaurant or any other place on land that people are frequenting these days. True, not all airlines are adhering to the same, exact, protocols, and that’s where fact checking and researching can help someone select the airline that’s right for them in this pandemic. 

• Like 2

I think there are "other" reasons that "broadway" won't be opening anytime soon that won't be a concern for people who want to cruise.  Unless of course you want to cruise out of NYC.

• Like 1