Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, hcat said:

District  of Columbia..or the District for short when I lived down there.

It is the US Cap.  Not yet a state!

I was wondering what country the OP was flying into the US from as since those traveling from overseas are required to have a covid test. However at this time vacinated travelers are still required to have a covid test. If vaccination is required it must be from what ever foreign country they are traveling from.

2 hours ago, kearney said:

You don't think a 0.0011% risk is low? The risk of blood clots from birth control pills is apparently over a 10 year period is someplace between 0.3% to 1.0% (according to webmd). 1/88,000 is very very low. 

I was curious about other risks and found this from the National Safety Council... now they are not apple to apple these stats are lifetime.. but helps put things in perspective. National Safety Council odds of dying stats. Apparently the odds of dying in a vehicle accident in 2019 was 1 in 8,393... so ten times higher than 1 in 88,000. It helps to put things in perspective.

I originally wanted to wait longer before getting the vaccine...but ended up getting first shot in Jan. Now I did have an odd side effect. I donate platelets and plasma on a fairly reqular basis..every 2-3 months... well I received a letter from Red Cross saying that I had a false positive Hep B result. I followed up and testing was negative...but when I called Red Cross the person I talked to agreed that it was likely that the vaccine might have interfered with the testing that they do on all blood product donations... the end result is that despite it being false.. I can not donate anymore, which is a shame.

It terms of drug approvals, especially in terms of a vaccine, no it is not low at all. One of the reasons one can trust vaccines the hurdle for approval is very high.

In the current situation  with vaccine shortages around the world, the risk benefit is clearly in favor of continued use. under different circumstances such as Covid under control and few cases around the world maybe not or at least with a demographic limitation.

The hurdle is that high for vaccines.

Go back to the Swine Flu vaccine a few years back. That came under attack for an increase  of 1 per 100,000 of GBS.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Part of an on line post I saw today

AP:

"The European Commission says it’s launched legal action against vaccine maker AstraZeneca for failing to respect the terms of its contract with the EU.....:. "    

Maybe they can  use the J and J that many here in US do not want 

I think the product from the plant that got shut down by the FDA was producing both AZ and J&J for the EU.

30 minutes ago, nocl said:

It terms of drug approvals, especially in terms of a vaccine, no it is not low at all. One of the reasons one can trust vaccines the hurdle for approval is very high.

In the current situation  with vaccine shortages around the world, the risk benefit is clearly in favor of continued use. under different circumstances such as Covid under control and few cases around the world maybe not or at least with a demographic limitation.

The hurdle is that high for vaccines.

Go back to the Swine Flu vaccine a few years back. That came under attack for an increase  of 1 per 100,000 of GBS.

I can see your point relative to GBS...but if we aimed for that low a level ( I read that is is something like 1-2/1million)... think of how many more will die from covid as we looked for a safer vaccine. Anyway.. generally speaking...based on what we know now... and this could change... it looks safer than taking your chances with Covid... particularly if you are older. Now I will be honest... if one of my younger nieces/nephews didn't want to take it... I would understand... their overall risk is lower for suffering from Covid than mine.  I don't fear death from Covid...my concern is getting the long covid version which lingers and impacts multiple systems....

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I was wondering what country the OP was flying into the US from as since those traveling from overseas are required to have a covid test. However at this time vacinated travelers are still required to have a covid test. If vaccination is required it must be from what ever foreign country they are traveling from.

US to US.  Washington DC has their own set of restrictions as do others.

https://washington.org/dc-information/coronavirus-travel-update-washington-dc

2 hours ago, kearney said:

I can see your point relative to GBS...but if we aimed for that low a level ( I read that is is something like 1-2/1million)... think of how many more will die from covid as we looked for a safer vaccine. Anyway.. generally speaking...based on what we know now... and this could change... it looks safer than taking your chances with Covid... particularly if you are older. Now I will be honest... if one of my younger nieces/nephews didn't want to take it... I would understand... their overall risk is lower for suffering from Covid than mine.  I don't fear death from Covid...my concern is getting the long covid version which lingers and impacts multiple systems....

That is why it meets the risk benefit level in place today.  At another time and place maybe not.

In the US there are alternatives that do not have the problem and we have plenty of supply.  Appointments going unfilled in many places.

The real issue is the rest of the world where supply is extremely limited.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Some states require a COVID19 test or proof of a vaccine prior to entry by air.   I am flying into Boston in June and Mass. has such a requirement.   Interesting, if I decided to drive, I can go there without either.  I had a friend that drove up through the entire eastern seaboard and into Mass.. Vermont, NH and Maine.  No problem.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I wonder where they would be checking your vaccination card or covid test results. DC has no airports. They have no checkpoints to enter DC. I would say they are relying on the honor system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Some states require a COVID19 test or proof of a vaccine prior to entry by air.   I am flying into Boston in June and Mass. has such a requirement.   Interesting, if I decided to drive, I can go there without either.  I had a friend that drove up through the entire eastern seaboard and into Mass.. Vermont, NH and Maine.  No problem.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Our three area airports are not in DC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I wonder where they would be checking your vaccination card or covid test results. DC has no airports. They have no checkpoints to enter DC. I would say they are relying on the honor system.

Now that is an excellent question.  At the hotel?  I really don't know.  I would guess the honor system also.

Last summer we had some of the toughest state travel rules in the nation with very little if any enforcement.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Time to fly into Dulles.

Dulles is actually more points/money to fly into for me.  A longer drive to the hotel.

I kind of like the scenic flight along the river into Reagan.

BTW does Dulles still have the people movers that take you onto the tarmac?  It has been a while since I have flown there.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We are doing a similiar trip in August.  Bar Harbor to Martha's Vineyard.

6 hours ago, kearney said:

It may have been a one off... I got mixed feed back... one group I contacted out of Australia.. felt it was not related...but someone I talked to at American Red Cross thought it was likely related to vaccine... Odd thing... they test every time I donate. This time I got the vaccine less than 2 weeks before donating.. I assume that back in early Feb there were likely few people who had the vaccine and then made a donation so close to the shot... What is sad is that I am AB+ universal donor for plasma and platelets... I reached out because it is costly for Red Cross to needlessly knock out people from the donor rolls. I may appeal later and see what they say....  

Interesting.  My husband donates platelets every 3 weeks.  His first time after being fully vaccinated was a few weeks ago.  Nothing unusual (but he did have antibodies this time).  Will report if something like this pops up on him.  Strange indeed.

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Dulles is actually more points/money to fly into for me.  A longer drive to the hotel.

that 

BTW does Dulles still have the people movers that take you onto the tarmac?  It has been a while since I have flown there.

They have an underground rail mover now except to one concourse where they still use the mobile lounges. The gates that use the mobile lounge are for international flights. Most domestic flights will be at gates using the train. Those gates not served by the train are schedualed to be replaced but I don't think they have started construction.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It's been a lot of years since I've been through Dulles.  When I was last there they were building a tunnel to the terminal, I suspect that should replace the people movers.  I think the original concept of the people movers was to move people directly to the aircraft, but I think that option was seldom used.  Most if not all people movers just transported people between terminals.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It's been a lot of years since I've been through Dulles.  When I was last there they were building a tunnel to the terminal, I suspect that should replace the people movers.  I think the original concept of the people movers was to move people directly to the aircraft, but I think that option was seldom used.  Most if not all people movers just transported people between terminals.

Just to stay completely off topic for the moment...

The tunnels to Terminal C, with the new subway system, end where Terminal C is supposed to be, in probably 15-20 years. It's a really convenient walk to the terminal that's actually there...

The people movers still go to Terminal D, all the international arrivals, and probably still the late night arrivals (straight onto the people movers from the plane.

And only a handful of people  get to fly directly into DC, by helicopter, and maybe Osprey. That includes medical flights to some of the hospitals, I believe. No commercial airports in DC (or private ones that I'm aware of).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

The tunnels to Terminal C, with the new subway system, end where Terminal C is supposed to be, in probably 15-20 years. It's a really convenient walk to the terminal that's actually there...

The people movers still go to Terminal D, all the international arrivals, and probably still the late night arrivals (straight onto the people movers from the plane.

And only a handful of people  get to fly directly into DC, by helicopter, and maybe Osprey. That includes medical flights to some of the hospitals, I believe. No commercial airports in DC (or private ones that I'm aware of).

You can't even fly a drone in DC. 

I do my best to avoid Dulles. Flying to Dallas soon out of Washington Reagan. My second choice is BWI. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, markeb said:

Absolutely incredible.  I was last there in 2007 - 2008 and the work had been underway for awhile.  To find out that they have only made it half way in 12 -13 years and it may take 15-20 more years is unbelievable.  I could dig the tunnel with a teaspoon in 25 -30 years.

Thanks for the info

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Absolutely incredible.  I was last there in 2007 - 2008 and the work had been underway for awhile.  To find out that they have only made it half way in 12 -13 years and it may take 15-20 more years is unbelievable.  I could dig the tunnel with a teaspoon in 25 -30 years.

Thanks for the info

The tunnels and trains are there and finished. But they end where the long term plan is to relocate the terminal. It makes sense in a bizarre way. 

Back to vaccines.  Here is a short update article on the Novavax protein subunit vaccine.  Some here have been in the clinical trials or have family members participating.  This is a more traditional protein subunit vaccine.  Some are waiting to get vaccinated by the old tried and true technologies.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/27/novavax-coronavirus-vaccine-484731

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, mimbecky said:

Regarding possible booster....

I had Moderna and was one who had fever (100.9) and just about every other side effect with the second vaccine. Curious if a booster would give even worse side effects with this third shot than the second.  🤢

Any educated guesses?

Thanks,

Miriam

mimbecky,

Here is an article that speaks to the issue of side effects after the vaccine shot.  Many people do not get anything at all but perhaps a sore arm.  Some are worried if they don't get side effects!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/04/27/990992425/you-dont-have-to-suffer-to-benefit-from-covid-vaccination-but-some-prefer-it