Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

On 4/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, LGW59 said:

I will be getting 2nd shot in a week, one week later we have rented a house for 5 weeks in Provincetown.  Weather will be lovely and they have so many outdoor dining options, which I love.  That said, the thing I want to do the most is sit INSIDE a restaurant and eat by the ocean, something I have not done since March 2020!  Normal is on it's way.

How awesome for you! 🙂  Massachusetts 'born and raised' girl here.  LOVE the Cape and especially Provincetown.  Spent my summers on the Cape while growing up thanks to my wonderful Dad.  Husband and I will be there mid-May for a stay in Chatham.  I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Edited by harkinmr

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's what the DW is ordering today. Is this similar to what you're referring to?

Amazon.com | Passport Cover Clear Plastic Vinyl ID Card Protector Case Holder Pack of 5 | Passport Covers

Ken this is what I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6H9F4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nocl said:

According to one interview I saw yesterday the risk for women in their 20s and 30s was about 1 in 88,000.

In terms of drug safety I would not call that very very low. Still provides greater benefit than risk, but certainly not insignificant. With a warning to Doctors it can be mitigated to some degree. 

If I was a member of the affected demographic and had a choice of vaccines I would go with one of the others. Would go with it if no other was available. Would also take it without reservation if outside of the demographic.

My post was about ages 18-50, not 20's and 30's.  Anyway, if you narrow down the ages to one smaller group that was affected the risk calculation goes up of course.  On the other hand if you look at a less affected age group say 45-55 the risk calculation is much lower.  So I am really not sure of what this is all about with different medical experts in the media presenting all these different numbers. It is just selective math causing confusion.  So I agree with the FDA and CDC committees.  The vaccine has a low but measurable risk to women of certain ages.  They should know about it and make an informed decision or consult with their physician.  And compare it to the risk of not being vaccinated and becoming infected with COVID.  Not with lightening bolts or car accidents.  And in the US anyway the informed decision might be to get an alternative vaccine if there is a choice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kearney said:

I may have missed a post.. but I have seen suggestions of copying or scanning your vaccine card and keeping a copy at home and bring an extra....just in case... could be more important than passport

Also take a picture on your phone for each shot (both sides).  So you will have a record that you carry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

How awesome for you! 🙂  Massachusetts 'born and raised' girl here.  LOVE the Cape and especially Provincetown.  Spent my summers on the Cape while growing up thanks to my wonderful Dad.  Husband and I will be there mid-May for a stay in Chatham.  I hope you have a wonderful time!!

LGW59 and harkinmr,

My dw and I were also born and raised in the Bay state.  Maybe you can tell by looking closely at what my dog is wearing in the avatar photo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

My post was about ages 18-50, not 20's and 30's.  Anyway, if you narrow down the ages to one smaller group that was affected the risk calculation goes up of course.  On the other hand if you look at a less affected age group say 45-55 the risk calculation is much lower.  So I am really not sure of what this is all about with different medical experts in the media presenting all these different numbers. It is just selective math causing confusion.  So I agree with the FDA and CDC committees.  The vaccine has a low but measurable risk to women of certain ages.  They should know about it and make an informed decision or consult with their physician.  And compare it to the risk of not being vaccinated and becoming infected with COVID.  Not with lightening bolts or car accidents.  And in the US anyway the informed decision might be to get an alternative vaccine if there is a choice.

Just stating that while the risk numbers are low, they are not considered low in the context of drug safety. In the current situation it meets the risk/benefit requirements. Especially when one considers the lack of supply in the rest of the world.

Under a little different conditions, it might not make it through without at least a restricted demographic. The vote was not unaminous. 

While the 20s and 30s generates the lowest number. With 13 identified cases it is not that much higher for the entire group.

• Like 1

Odd news reported today,  an  Iowa health official and counties in another state declined  vaccine  allotment based on inability to utlize it right now. 

I think the J and J incident has set back progress in getting more people vaccinated..more fear, more want to wait and see,,,yikes!

On 4/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

We figured pretty much the only time we're going to need the CDC vaccination card, other than to get any boosters recorded in it, was when we go on a cruise, so we figured it just made sense to keep the two together.

We are going to need it when travelling to DC.  They either require a negative test or the Vax Card.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Odd news reported today,  an  Iowa health official and counties in another state declined  vaccine  allotment based on inability to utlize it right now. 

I think the J and J incident has set back progress in getting more people vaccinated..more fear, more want to wait and see,,,yikes!

Here's the story on that:  LINK

IMO, it sounds like the people who wanted the vaccine have all gotten it by now in Iowa, or have appointments already.  I'd be curious to know what percentage of the entire population will have been vaccinated.  Unfortunately they do not have numbers from pharmacies.

So who is following the science on vaccines, the EU or the US?  The US does not allow significantly more freedom to those who have been vaccinated or the EU who is opening up travel to anyone that has been vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/europe-vaccinated-americans-summer-eu-vacation/index.html

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So who is following the science on vaccines, the EU or the US?  The US does not allow significantly more freedom to those who have been vaccinated or the EU who is opening up travel to anyone that has been vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/25/us/europe-vaccinated-americans-summer-eu-vacation/index.html

I was just going to post the same article.  Hopefully, our Italy trip in October and TA cruise home is still on.

44 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Haha.  Following is a relative term.  Following the current science?  Following quickly?  Following slowly?  Then there is Evaluating the science.  And of course Ignoring the science.  Where is CDC in this spectrum?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Haha.  Following is a relative term.  Following the current science?  Following quickly?  Following slowly?  Then there is Evaluating the science.  And of course Ignoring the science.  Where is CDC in this spectrum?

Do you think the CDC is moving overly slowly or cautiously as a reaction or overreaction to the previous administration?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Following slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly.

Part of an on line post I saw today

AP:

"The European Commission says it’s launched legal action against vaccine maker AstraZeneca for failing to respect the terms of its contract with the EU.....:. "    

Maybe they can  use the J and J that many here in US do not want 

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I was just going to post the same article.  Hopefully, our Italy trip in October and TA cruise home is still on.

Hopeful for you too.  Also hopeful that the Australian's get a bit hungry for tourism and follow suit. We want to cruise in Feb and right now they are closed at least through 2021 to everyone....vaxed or not.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:53 AM, nocl said:

According to one interview I saw yesterday the risk for women in their 20s and 30s was about 1 in 88,000.

In terms of drug safety I would not call that very very low. Still provides greater benefit than risk, but certainly not insignificant. With a warning to Doctors it can be mitigated to some degree. 

You don't think a 0.0011% risk is low? The risk of blood clots from birth control pills is apparently over a 10 year period is someplace between 0.3% to 1.0% (according to webmd). 1/88,000 is very very low. 

I was curious about other risks and found this from the National Safety Council... now they are not apple to apple these stats are lifetime.. but helps put things in perspective. National Safety Council odds of dying stats. Apparently the odds of dying in a vehicle accident in 2019 was 1 in 8,393... so ten times higher than 1 in 88,000. It helps to put things in perspective.

I originally wanted to wait longer before getting the vaccine...but ended up getting first shot in Jan. Now I did have an odd side effect. I donate platelets and plasma on a fairly reqular basis..every 2-3 months... well I received a letter from Red Cross saying that I had a false positive Hep B result. I followed up and testing was negative...but when I called Red Cross the person I talked to agreed that it was likely that the vaccine might have interfered with the testing that they do on all blood product donations... the end result is that despite it being false.. I can not donate anymore, which is a shame.

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Do you think the CDC is moving overly slowly or cautiously as a reaction or overreaction to the previous administration?

Actually the new CDC director Rochelle Walensky has an impressive background including excellent expertise in viruses and infectious diseases.  Look her up.  I am sure she is quite up to date on the science and medicine of COVID and vaccines.  The CDC has been very cautious during the entire pandemic and rightly so.  On this site we focus on cruise operations and are frustrated, but in the grand scheme the CDC has had a huge plate of national issues to deal with including vaccine distribution to states.  So I tend to cut them a huge break compared to some others here.  That being said they need to work with the cruise industry (and importantly vice versa) to get a cruising resumption plan and time line in place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, kearney said:

You don't think a 0.0011% risk is low? The risk of blood clots from birth control pills is apparently over a 10 year period is someplace between 0.3% to 1.0% (according to webmd). 1/88,000 is very very low. 

I was curious about other risks and found this from the National Safety Council... now they are not apple to apple these stats are lifetime.. but helps put things in perspective. National Safety Council odds of dying stats. Apparently the odds of dying in a vehicle accident in 2019 was 1 in 8,393... so ten times higher than 1 in 88,000. It helps to put things in perspective.

I originally wanted to wait longer before getting the vaccine...but ended up getting first shot in Jan. Now I did have an odd side effect. I donate platelets and plasma on a fairly reqular basis..every 2-3 months... well I received a letter from Red Cross saying that I had a false positive Hep B result. I followed up and testing was negative...but when I called Red Cross the person I talked to agreed that it was likely that the vaccine might have interfered with the testing that they do on all blood product donations... the end result is that despite it being false.. I can not donate anymore, which is a shame.

It will be interesting to see if this is an odd side effect that is truly vaccine -related.  It seems that the Red Cross would have commented on this by now.  

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It will be interesting to see if this is an odd side effect that is truly vaccine -related.  It seems that the Red Cross would have commented on this by now.  

It may have been a one off... I got mixed feed back... one group I contacted out of Australia.. felt it was not related...but someone I talked to at American Red Cross thought it was likely related to vaccine... Odd thing... they test every time I donate. This time I got the vaccine less than 2 weeks before donating.. I assume that back in early Feb there were likely few people who had the vaccine and then made a donation so close to the shot... What is sad is that I am AB+ universal donor for plasma and platelets... I reached out because it is costly for Red Cross to needlessly knock out people from the donor rolls. I may appeal later and see what they say....