Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

21 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I could see wearing a mask when you are lining up for a chair, but skiing downhill with a mask is a bit silly.  Don't tell me the joggers in Aspen are required to wear masks too.   

If you jog thru town or ride a bike you must wear a mask. They just passed it again until June sometime. Try hiking or jogging at 8500 ft. wearing your mask LOL!

The penalties for not complying with this order are the following:

· A fine of $50 for the first offense

· A fine of $250 for the second offense

· For all subsequent offenses, a mandatory court appearance and a fine of up to $2,650 and/or a sentence of up to 1 year in prison

Edited by TrulyBlonde

8 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

If you jog thru town or ride a bike you must wear a mask. They just passed it again until June sometime. Try hiking or jogging at 8500 ft. wearing your mask LOL!

· For all subsequent offenses, a mandatory court appearance and a fine of up to $2,650 and/or a sentence of up to 1 year in prison

Hopefully CDC will change their position shortly on wearing a mask outside under certain circumstances, like some of those you've been describing. One can hope anyway.

Is it still necessary to wear masks outdoors? CDC 'looking at' revising mask guidance (nbcnews.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was surprised.  Not sure of the restrictions,,

Pres Biden  says U.S. has enough supply of the Moderna and Pfiser for everyone...

No  dr's Rx is required for a vaccination. There is possible risk that  some may  take it without being fully informed of the  health risks as they relate to them personally. I think dr patient conversation should  be required.

Someone must love  that J and J?????

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Even in San Francisco, most people who are jogging have their masks covering their chins or around their neck.  Maybe, 1 in 4 jog with a mask over their nose & mouth.   I guess very few people are actually jogging, at least, not within city limits. 

Hopefully CDC will change their position shortly on wearing a mask outside under certain circumstances, like some of those you've been describing. One can hope anyway.

Is it still necessary to wear masks outdoors? CDC 'looking at' revising mask guidance (nbcnews.com)

When I step outside my apt, to either walk my dog, or just go for my own walk, my mask is always on.  Once I get outside and there is no one in sight,  the mask comes down, as soon as I see someone approaching, I pull the mask up, once we pass, mask comes back down.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

When I step outside my apt, to either walk my dog, or just go for my own walk, my mask is always on.  Once I get outside and there is no one in sight,  the mask comes down, as soon as I see someone approaching, I pull the mask up, once we pass, mask comes back down.  

You are a good person! We do the same thing when we know we might be around others. But I must say our stress level was drastically reduced once we got both Pfizer shots. Now we just act like Statler and Waldorf (but quietly between ourselves) when we see folks either not wearing a mask or their nose is hanging out. That definitely wasn't the case before we were vaccinated. Sure glad those days are behind us! 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

I was surprised.  Not sure of the restrictions,,

Pres Biden  says U.S. has enough supply of the Moderna and Pfiser for everyone...

No  dr's Rx is required for a vaccination. There is possible risk that  some may  take it without being fully informed of the  health risks as they relate to them personally. I think dr patient conversation should  be required.

Someone must love  that J and J?????

No.  This is one of the two possibilities that would fit the normal risk profile.  This option would be to add the warning to the label and to the vaccine hand out. The other option would have been change the label to make it not indicated for a specific demographic such as women 18-48.  Or to women in their 20's and 30's where the numbers indicate the risk to be 1/88,000.

Clearly the response is within the normal range for the FDA with this level of risk.

The risk is still far far less than not being vaccinated at all.  The risk is also mitigated with the warning and instructions to Doctor's not to use Heparin for clots if one has received the vaccine recently.

While the US may have enough vaccine the rest of the world does not.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Masks outside has been the most nonsensical thing for over a year now.  No identified spread from casual interactions outside in a year and there are still places where that's expected?  Shows how insane some covid-related perceptions are. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I do exactly the same. Except I don't have a dog! Oh and I don't pull it down. I take it off entirely and hold it by the string.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, nocl said:

The risk is still far far less than not being vaccinated at all.  The risk is also mitigated with the warning and instructions to Doctor's not to use Heparin for clots if one has received the vaccine recently.

Also, anecdotally there seems to be a LOT of "needle-phobic" people who are willing to get 1 shot, but won't go for 2....not to mention populations that have a hard time logistically being able to get someplace 1 time, let alone 2.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

That is our routine here. Here most joggers don't wear masks but they jog away from walkers. Bicycle riders ride away from walkers too. They ride without masks. There are no fines for citizens not complying but everyone seems to wear a mask if they can't distance. All wear masks indoors. The only penalties are for business who violate Covid restrictions. Seems to work pretty well. 

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Exactly.  This is how it should be.

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I do the same when running or hiking, I can pull it up quickly if someone is close by, but it's honestly mostly just me out there nowadays... the few "regulars" that I run into are all fully vaccinated like me :)

6 hours ago, zanderblue said:

That’s me fully vaccinated with Novavax vaccine. Just needs to be approved now 😊.

I’ve had a headache, aching joints and COVID arm in last 24 hours, convinces me even more that I’ve had vaccine this time round.

608A2F21-8CD0-4BF6-8EDD-5CA1525E9260.jpeg

My son received his third Novavax/Placebo shot this week. Didn't had any strong symptoms, but was tired. Like you I didn't think he received the vaccine the first time.  

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Insane, I remember two years ago, when we visited Machu Picchu and Cusco, Peru that with altitudes of over 8000 and 11000 ft.  Needed all the oxygen that we could get.

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You are a good person! We do the same thing when we know we might be around others. But I must say our stress level was drastically reduced once we got both Pfizer shots. Now we just act like Statler and Waldorf (but quietly between ourselves) when we see folks either not wearing a mask or their nose is hanging out. That definitely wasn't the case before we were vaccinated. Sure glad those days are behind us! 

When I walk in the neighborhood, I leave my mask at home.   If I approach others walking, I simply walk on the opposite side of the street, 15-20 feet from them.

15 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

When I walk in the neighborhood, I leave my mask at home.   If I approach others walking, I simply walk on the opposite side of the street, 15-20 feet from them.

I take similar action when ‘meeting’ others.  My mask is fairly lightweight and compact so I keep it with me on the off chance I may need it.

Edited by d9704011

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nocl said:

No.  This is one of the two possibilities that would fit the normal risk profile.  This option would be to add the warning to the label and to the vaccine hand out. The other option would have been change the label to make it not indicated for a specific demographic such as women 18-48.  Or to women in their 20's and 30's where the numbers indicate the risk to be 1/88,000.

Clearly the response is within the normal range for the FDA with this level of risk.

I understand and accept the reasoning but  the decision was for the US. I had the Moderna,  but if my choice was J & J or nothing..I'd pass and continue to hibernate for another year.

As  " dreaminofcruisin"  mentioned I  also  agree it would  be good for those who are confined or unable to go twice for the jab..but opening it up to all seems very broad, (I have no training or background in drug risks but would be concerned)

Sad to to read that so many have  to go around mask rules.  We follow them but our locations seem to have reasonable rules that most follow,

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

But hold tight, the CC "experts" have yet to weigh in.

Some of the posters on this thread are actually medical and vaccine experts. And avid cruisers.  That is a valuable combination and a unique perspective that some value. It has been that way since the beginning.  Now over 4800 posts. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zanderblue said:

That’s me fully vaccinated with Novavax vaccine. Just needs to be approved now 😊.

I’ve had a headache, aching joints and COVID arm in last 24 hours, convinces me even more that I’ve had vaccine this time round.

Great news that you completed the Novavax COVID vaccination shots. Thank You from all of us!  Same for Drarill's son too.  Novavax is a more traditional technology (subunit) vaccine and presumably will not have the serious adverse event like the adeno vector vaccines.  It hopefully will get an approval soon.  The world needs it!

• Like 1