Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

30 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Anyone following this thread closely can soon recognize those contributors whose posts are knowledge-based and those whose posts are riddled with nonsense.

Very well said--- And, that goes for every post on CC as there are folks on sites like this that like to stir " xxxx ". 

They were pretty easy for me to spot after a few weeks of joining CC . 

LOL---And, about your Sens ---- Oh Boy, some of those trades or not signings ( Boro as example ) ---for " dreams " 4 yrs down the road ?  

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Very well said--- And, that goes for every post on CC as there are folks on sites like this that like to stir " xxxx ". 

They were pretty easy for me to spot after a few weeks of joining CC . 

LOL---And, about your Sens ---- Oh Boy, some of those trades or not signings ( Boro as example ) ---for " dreams " 4 yrs down the road ?  

And Tim Stuetzle goes and breaks his arm...

Here is an article for general readership on possible COVID vaccine trial outcomes and most importantly what is being reviewed and discussed for vaccine effectiveness (efficacy).  It mentions different phase 3 study designs and planned interim looks at efficacy readouts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/10/what-successful-vaccine-trial-looks-like/616775/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

And Tim Stuetzle goes and breaks his arm...

That really is too bad.

I've heard he's expected to make the team much more competitive.

As with cruising, who knows when NHL hockey is going to start ?

I know I'm off topic with the hockey talk ----- LOL----Wanna  discuss Gratuities , Who's On Board , Buffets , or anything else that might " stimulate " someone, -----anyone ?? 

One of the major hurdles is the transportation of the vaccines.

As I am currently involved in the Worldwide distribution of medical equipment and medication to counter Covid19, and at the same time keeping the Worldwide economy alive via Airfreight, I am in a position to see the logistical challenges ahead.

At this moment, even without a need to transport millions of vaccine doses, Air Cargo is at its limit, with long delays in shipments ( causing backlogs and resulting economic damage in companies) due to the fact that well over 50% of the cargo space onboard aircraft is not available as passenger aircraft are grounded. ( a lot of air cargo is shipped onboard passenger aircraft normally).

The Airforce has capacity obviously HOWEVER: those aircraft have typically no Temperature controlled cargo areas/holds, meaning that they  potentially are simply not suitable for vaccine transportation.

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

As I am currently involved in the Worldwide distribution of medical equipment and medication to counter Covid19, and at the same time keeping the Worldwide economy alive via Airfreight, I am in a position to see the logistical challenges ahead.

At this moment, even without a need to transport millions of vaccine doses, Air Cargo is at its limit, with long delays in shipments ( causing backlogs and resulting economic damage in companies) due to the fact that well over 50% of the cargo space onboard aircraft is not available as passenger aircraft are grounded. ( a lot of air cargo is shipped onboard passenger aircraft normally).

The Airforce has capacity obviously HOWEVER: those aircraft have typically no Temperature controlled cargo areas/holds, meaning that they  potentially are simply not suitable for vaccine transportation.

Wow! I had not thought about transport on passenger airplanes - that may explain why some of other medical supplies get delayed, half the normal capacity for shipping is gone...

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Wow! I had not thought about transport on passenger airplanes - that may explain why some of other medical supplies get delayed, half the normal capacity for shipping is gone...

One would think that for medical supplies and vaccines, the government could charter a plane or something? Or perhaps I am being too logical? 🙄

On 10/18/2020 at 3:57 PM, hcat said:

Thanks for expanding info  on  this topic,  Quite alot to think about.  I am Type 2 high risk, and have been semi isolating  since March, as are many in my age bracket. Interested in the vaccine for obvious reasons and have a cruise booked for 2022.

Planning to fly next month,,very nervous! After we arrive in Fla we will try to get the updated shingles shots..we believe not covered by Medicare??? Already had our flu shots.

Hope to follow the vaccine developments...

Shingles is TWO shots.  2 to 6 months between shots.  They were covered by my Medicare 100%.  Don't wait.

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

One would think that for medical supplies and vaccines, the government could charter a plane or something? Or perhaps I am being too logical? 🙄

Probably UPS and FEDEX for most shipments. The planning for deploying the Strategic National Stockpile, which was where most BARDA funded products would go, was for use iof military aircraft, but that was for a one or two city or so terrorist event. I’d still suspect MILAIR if needed for larger metropolitan areas would still be an option. 

8 hours ago, Despegue said:

we used refrigerated air cargo containers. They were self contained units the size of a standard cargo container. Used them in conjunction with both commercial and military air craft. They are commercially available. The ones we used we good down to -30 f.

4 hours ago, nocl said:

we used refrigerated air cargo containers. They were self contained units the size of a standard cargo container. Used them in conjunction with both commercial and military air craft. They are commercially available. The ones we used we good down to -30 f.

Yes, but these containers are in short supply already .

18 hours ago, Despegue said:

Thank you for this perspective.  Please keep us updated.  I'll give you my thoughts but you have more expertise. There are multiple vaccines and multiple manufacturers spread across the globe. And different formulations and stability requirements. So transportation has many many variables.  I think vaccines manufactured in the UK will be used in the UK and those in Belgium will be used in Belgium for example.  There will obviously be some definite need for air cargo services no doubt.  But we are dealing with maybe crates of refrigerated or frozen samples.  Not large items for transport.  Commercial airlines with a lot of cargo capacity are very much underused globally right now as you say be certainly could be pressed into service (and paid for it).  So they will also step in.  We used to ship our vaccines worldwide via contracted carriers with specialized services such as DHL.  And some countries and vaccine manufacturers will develop and have developed their own validated shipping containers.

Edited by TeeRick

According to online article, governora of various  U.S states are working on "distribution  plans" .

Looks like in my state..NY, seniors will be in phase 3..not sure of any timetables..no vaccine yet!

NY state

Phase 1..frontline healthcare 

Phase 2..essential workers...teschers grocery

Phase 3..65 and older and hi risk

Will be awhile before  dh and I get it as Srs and hi  risk  we..may have to cruise with just mask protection

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

According to online article, governora of various  U.S states are working on "distribution  plans" .

Looks like in my state..NY, seniors will be in phase 3..not sure of any timetables..no vaccine yet!

I wonder if states will follow the recommended guideline put forth in the US by the National Academy of Sciences?  Or will they go off and do their own thing?  Hopefully not. 

hcat- For example, if NYS is different than FL can you get the vaccine in FL instead?  Will people cross state lines for an earlier vaccine?  This would be unfair to those within a given state.  I hope this does not turn into another state-driven political mess.  But yes we need a vaccine first!

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02684-9

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Shingles is TWO shots.  2 to 6 months between shots.  They were covered by my Medicare 100%.  Don't wait.

Yes , we will  get the first one  asap !

Hope okay as we are babysitting a 7 month old????  Good news if Medicare covers it.

Just now, hcat said:

Yes , we will  get the first one  asap !

Hope okay as we are babysitting a 7 month old????  Good news if Medicare covers it.

Suggest you get the shot in the arm that you use less.  My dw and I just got Shingrix this year and both shots gave us quite a painful local reaction that lasted several days.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Is this after the Brazil report?  Although it seems unclear about what exactly happened?  I saw an article that said never before has vaccine development been parsed daily in the press....no wonder it's hard to keep track of real developments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/10/21/volunteer-in-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trial-reportedly-dies-in-brazil/#6b69d5c42516

To read the article at the  sky.com link..one .had to agree to cookies. So we couldn' t see much of it. Many opinions, studies etc...we'll have to see what takes place.

Edited by hcat

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I wonder if states will follow the recommended guideline put forth in the US by the National Academy of Sciences?  Or will they go off and do their own thing?  Hopefully not. 

hcat- For example, if NYS is different than FL can you get the vaccine in FL instead?  Will people cross state lines for an earlier vaccine?  This would be unfair to those within a given state.  I hope this does not turn into another state-driven political mess.  But yes we need a vaccine first!

I expect since there are 50 states there will probably be 50 different plans followed.

California has announced that it will not allow any vaccine to be distributed in the state until it is reviewed and approved by a panel the Governor has established.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We are legal residents  of NY where we vote and pay state income tax. We consider our status in Florida  as part time.  We do not apply for Fla resident cruise discounts or  homestead  property tax relief  from Fla. We can get regular shots at the CVS ( or other pharmacies) in either state when we are there but the Covid vaccine will no doubt be different at first.

• Like 1