Carnival Now Says They Expect 13 Ships To Leave Their Fleet

N7786W Flyer

Don't see the Elation (or the Paradise), being scrapped yet. Had major refurbishment a couple of years ago adding the Grand Deck and balconies. They are also 8 years younger than the Fantasy. 😎 All the others could be fair game.

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Now the big question... will things be "clear" enough (to move forward) two months from now when our final payment for the Liberty comes due. hmmmm

And that assumes the Liberty isn't repositioned to another port as we can't assume anything is locked in place at this stage...even with the ships that will remain in the fleet.

1 minute ago, embarkation75 said:

And that assumes the Liberty isn't repositioned to another port as we can't assume anything is locked in place at this stage...even with the ships that will remain in the fleet.

Even the kitchen sink is up in the air!  😉

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Here is the latest I have seen with actual placements.  If this was posted before, apologies in advance.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23243-donald-less-efficient-ships-to-rotate-out-of-fleet.html

I certainly hadn't seen that.

I do like the analysis he gave, quoted at the end of the article:

"But the reality is, when we look at it, and we don’t know when we’d be able to come back full slate; and these will be the last ships we will bring back anyway. Then you look at the timeframe it would take to do that, and then you look at the costs associated with maintaining those ships. Then you make the decision – take the cash, reduce the cash burn – which we need to do."

Cold hard truth.

Curiously, no Carnival Cruise Lines "brand" ships mentioned.  So that Fantasy class sell-off being bandied about is above-and-beyond the ships mentioned in the article.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I certainly hadn't seen that.

I do like the analysis he gave, quoted at the end of the article:

"But the reality is, when we look at it, and we don’t know when we’d be able to come back full slate; and these will be the last ships we will bring back anyway. Then you look at the timeframe it would take to do that, and then you look at the costs associated with maintaining those ships. Then you make the decision – take the cash, reduce the cash burn – which we need to do."

Cold hard truth.

Curiously, no Carnival Cruise Lines "brand" ships mentioned.  So that Fantasy class sell-off being bandied about is above-and-beyond the ships mentioned in the article.

I thought it interesting as well in regards to no Carnival ships sold.  What is not mentioned in this article is scraps, which he might have wanted to stay away from.  I inquired with some friends who might know about the two ships that were off loading in Curacao and could not get any info.  Both replies I got were things were very dynamic and they found out the same way we do.  I am not sure we really understand what "leaner" really implies.  

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

. . . 

Other than lots of memories - the spacious owner's suites, the addition of Guy's Burgers, and the often broken atrium elevators (lol) - they are tired and past their glory days. Such is life.

. . .

And that's where I met the two of you. 😊

Never noticed any broken atrium elevators. (la la la la la la)

Sending a message to your phone regarding the two ships you mentioned.

20 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

"Those were the days my friend

We thought they'd never end...."

(except that whole singing and dancing stuff) 

🙂

Tom

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The Fantasy class ships hold a special place in our memories - with the Sensation being our first 7-day cruise. I wonder if they'll hold on to it too.

Other than lots of memories - the spacious owner's suites, the addition of Guy's Burgers, and the often broken atrium elevators (lol) - they are tired and past their glory days. Such is life.

Now the big question... will things be "clear" enough (to move forward) two months from now when our final payment for the Liberty comes due. hmmmm

Captains suite?

45 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

Seeing those wonderful suites get scrapped will make me cringe

In summary

Recent Carnival Corporation Secondhand Transactions: 

Cruise Ship Brand New Operator Tonnage Capacity Built Price/Terms Delivery
 neoRomantica Costa Celestyal 53,048 1,578 1993 N/A TBD
 Maasdam Holland America Unknown 55,575 1,258 1993 N/A August 2020
 Veendam Holland America Unknown 57.092 1,350 1996 N/A August 2020
 Amsterdam Holland America Fred. Olsen 62,725 1,380 2000 N/A Fall 2020
 Rotterdam Holland America Fred. Olsen 61,849 1,404 1997 N/A Fall 2020
 Oceana P&O UK Unknown 77,499 2,016 2000 N/A July 2020
 Victoria Costa Unknown 75,166 1,928 1996 N/A June 2020
 Pacific Dawn P&O Australia CMV 70,285 2,020 1991 N/A March 2021
 Pacific Aria P&O Australia CMV 55,819 1,258 1994 N/A May 2021
 Atlantica Costa CSSC 85,619 2,114 2000 N/A Q4 2019
 Mediterranea Costa CSSC 85,619 2,114 2003 N/A Q4 2020
 Pacific Jewel P&O Australia Zen Cruises 70,250 1,590 1990 N/A March 2019
 Prinsendam Holland America Phoenix Reisen 38,484 835 1988 N/A Summer 2019
 Oriana P&O UK CTS 69,153 1,822 1995 N/A Summer 2019

32 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Captains suite?

Back in "the day" (when you could not book them directly) they were cabin #'s S1 and S2 (since they were on Sports Deck), but were generally just referred to as the Owner's Suites.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Back in "the day" (when you could not book them directly) they were cabin #'s S1 and S2 (since they were on Sports Deck), but were generally just referred to as the Owner's Suites.

Our BDM at Carnival used to call them Micky’s room.

8 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Don't see the Elation (or the Paradise), being scrapped yet. Had major refurbishment a couple of years ago adding the Grand Deck and balconies. They are also 8 years younger than the Fantasy. 😎 All the others could be fair game.

I agree with this outlook.  In addition, the Elation and the Paradise are the only two ships in the Fantasy class with Azipod propulsion instead of the older direct drive props.  This makes them a lot more maneuverable and capable of operating in more ports and harbors than some of the older ships.  Additionally, there are some home ports in the USA that cannot support a ship larger than the Fantasy or Spirit class ships due to things like bridge clearances (Jacksonville being only one example).  Unless Carnival intends to abandon those ports completely, they will need to keep at least a small number of Fantasy and Spirit class ships around to serve those customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeff92k7 said:

I agree with this outlook.  In addition, the Elation and the Paradise are the only two ships in the Fantasy class with Azipod propulsion instead of the older direct drive props.  This makes them a lot more maneuverable and capable of operating in more ports and harbors than some of the older ships.  Additionally, there are some home ports in the USA that cannot support a ship larger than the Fantasy or Spirit class ships due to things like bridge clearances (Jacksonville being only one example).  Unless Carnival intends to abandon those ports completely, they will need to keep at least a small number of Fantasy and Spirit class ships around to serve those customers.

Depending on the breakout of whose barn the leaving ships come from, it is entirely possible that Carnival’s homeports will change significantly, at the minimum for the next two years.  The startup when it occurs will be gradual, best guess is six and then nine.  They will want to optimize revenue and profit. Where ever that leads them is where they will go.

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Elation and Paradise have had new cruises released.

...and they could also be placeholders until Carnival figures out what ships are left and where they are sailing from. It could be good news for Elation surviving but I wouldn't bank on anything until the ships are back sailing.

The smart money gave the forecast in March - yes, March - that the scrappers would be doing big, big business from the cruise lines.

Self-proclaimed experts on CC dismissed the forecasts again and again. Only to slowly, slowly start coming around to reality in late July. 👻

Sad truth: if CLIA doesn't get its act together soon, there'll be plenty more grim news ahead for the cruise industry. 

8 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

...and they could also be placeholders until Carnival figures out what ships are left and where they are sailing from. It could be good news for Elation surviving but I wouldn't bank on anything until the ships are back sailing.

No need to release cruises for 2023 at all, but they did.