Funny thing - just made 5 Stars and then........

DaveOKC

We took an extra cruise in December mostly to earn our fifth star and get it done before year end.  

Now we have had 4 cruises cancelled since then.  It sure looks like HAL does not want our business now that we are 5 Stars!!!

Crazy - but glad we took the Dec cruise to make it before they change the rules.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Loyalty program will probably be the next change 😜

Possibly no free laundry, if so

Well...back to drying the skivvies nightly  in the "head"

We'll need to pack extra under arm deodorant too.

2020, the year of sacrifice.

Be well.

Bob

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We sailed on the Veendam in December and made it to 5 stars.  Then everything fell apart.  Officially had three cruises cancelled.  I expect our November and December cruises will not happen as well.

Kind of the same, made 5-star last fall but then had 2 cruises cancelled (probably a third will be as well) for this year.

I feel the same.....I just made 4 star in December 2019 and was so happy for free laundry on my next cruise.  It's supposed to be 29 days starting March 29, 2021 from Ft. Lauderdale............we'll see.  Of course I'm hoping the best for the whole planet!!

~Nancy

I think this is our 3rd cancellation.  Either of the 2 canceled 2020 cruises would have moved us to 4 Stars, and I’m now counting on the upcoming (?) April cruise.  If there’s a rule change that impacts the categories and perks, I will at least try to plead my case.  Yeah, I know, good luck with that! 

Earlier in all this chaos, there was a comment on the Board that Seabourn was giving loyalty credits for cancelled cruises.  THAT would make a lot of people happy, but likely not happening either.  Sigh.

Stay well, stay happy.  Keep planning cruises!

I've had 2 long cruises canceled so far.  Pretty sad, considering how I've been looking forward to them.  Well, thankful for our health and family.  Trying to stay focused on what is most important...and we are indeed fortunate.

The folks at Carnival are not stupid.  They want to retain our loyalty at this difficult not alienate us.  I doubt they would take an irrational action and cancel or degrade the existing program.  They might create a new tier, six stars, and add some additional perks.

• Like 2

We've also cancelled three cruises for 2020, and may cancel the ones in 2021 too, depending on the unrest in the departure cities.

One of the reasons we've been choosing HAL over other lines is the laundry perk.  We also consider the specialty dining benefit.  But the main reason would be the free laundry.  That's the first thing we consider when picking a cruise line. 

Edited by knittinggirl

On 7/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, DaveOKC said:

We took an extra cruise in December mostly to earn our fifth star and get it done before year end.  

Now we have had 4 cruises cancelled since then.  It sure looks like HAL does not want our business now that we are 5 Stars!!!

Crazy - but glad we took the Dec cruise to make it before they change the rules.

Like you, we just made 5# in January, and now what . . .  ?  The loyalty doesn't cost HAL that much, other than the free laundry.  As long as other lines have loyalty programs, I would expect that HAL would continue with its present program.  But, we shall see.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, DaveOKC said:

I understand!  Due to the generous transfer loyalty program between cruise lines and hotel company programs and MSC, my first MSC cruise awarded me the highest status in their loyalty program.  To maintain that status, I must cruise with them again within a certain time period (which they have extended since this Covid mess began).  Probably won't happen, I am thinking.  At least, with HAL's Mariner Program:  once a 5 Star, you remain a 5 Star regardless of frequency of sailing with HAL.  Unless, of course, the "rules" change.  (I doubt that they will.  The new President and the executives in Miami have more pressing issues with which to deal than the Mariner Society program, I suspect.)

We booked Maasdam in Vista to get the 4 stars - cruise was cancelled.... then we booked the Maasdam 2021 in vista to get our 4 stars then - you know what happened - and cancelled again.
Now we have to look for another 14 days Route in a suite to get our 4 stars ... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums