If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

48 minutes ago, BND said:

And, how do you know that will happen? 

Some people are just determined to make sure everyone is terrified.   

That is precisely the point!

I don't know nor do you know it won't happen!

I don't want to terrify anyone, but I do want people to be informed with scientific and medical facts.

And, how do you know that will happen?  Everyone has recovered fully with no side effects.  Some people are just determined to make sure everyone is terrified.   

As for my family, we're getting the vaccine. In fact, my sons, DDIL's, parents, siblings have all said they will get it and not because they want to cruise.

People I have known who got Covid have died. And many who got it have not died. Eight former coworkers died. None were in long term care. My cousins law partner died. Younger than me. Pretty good lawyer. Our family used him to resolve a family members problem. So I see nothing wrong with being terrified. I also have relatives who had mild cases and recovered but really it is not something to roll the dice on. I will get the vaccine to help stamp out the virus, not because I want to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

People I have known who got Covid have died. And many who got it have not died. Eight former coworkers died. None were in long term care. My cousins law partner died. Younger than me. Pretty good lawyer. Our family used him to resolve a family members problem. So I see nothing wrong with being terrified. I also have relatives who had mild cases and recovered but really it is not something to roll the dice on. I will get the vaccine to help stamp out the virus, not because I want to cruise.

You do realize you are not the norm, right?  I only know of one person  who has died but not 8.  My MIL is 88 and in assisted living and doing fine and they didn't lose 8 where she lives, both my parents are 82 and fine.  I know of 1 person who died, the brother of a friend of my BIL who was high risk  (and a lawyer in Philadelphia) due to obesity, diabetes and over 55.  Other than that, I know no one, and have no family or friends who know anyone who has.  There are always exceptions and you cannot assume that's the norm, as it's not.  Not a single relative of mine has had it, from VA to MD, to GA, to TX, no one and I have cousins and other relatives who work in everything from grocery store management to nursing and everything in between.  There are always extremes in everything.  We go to a large church (1000+members) and know of no one who has died from it and only a few that have had it.  My parents have no friends who have and they have a lot of friends. My DH and both my DS and my DDIL's (one is a nurse) work and actually go into offices and no one they know has died from Covid.  I have many FB friends who know a few people who have had it but very, very few who have died.  8 from one workplace is hard to believe.  I  have two sisters and they know no one and very few that have had it. My BIL knew the one who passed, but no one else.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, BND said:

8 from one workplace is hard to believe.   

Simply google "meat packing deaths."

Your experience may be the outlier.  Ask any health care worker in NYC and you will gain a completely different perspective.

Yes. But then, I also volunteered for the vaccine study and am waiting to hear back, so....

Once I get a call, I’m not sure I’ll go through with it; I need to speak to a researcher, primarily because I’m still breastfeeding my 6 month old. My risk comfort level is different for me than it is for my kids. I’m vehemently pro-vaccine, but I  do have some reservations with how quickly this vaccine is being developed. Plus, something that no one’s talking about- the Moderna 30,000 participant study is only for adults. When will it be tested for children, and is the implication that schools will still be impacted next fall? I don’t see cruise lines having different vaccine requirements for different ages.

It will all depend on the vaccine. As long as its tested on humans and has positive effect in terms of Covid infection - I would suggest everyone getting it. In any case, if we really want to travel or if we travel a lot both as tourists or for business we will need to be sure that we are safe. These vaccine will make it easier for you cause you wont have to make another test before boarding a ship IMHO

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

It will all depend on the vaccine. As long as its tested on humans and has positive effect in terms of Covid infection - I would suggest everyone getting it. In any case, if we really want to travel or if we travel a lot both as tourists or for business we will need to be sure that we are safe. These vaccine will make it easier for you cause you wont have to make another test before boarding a ship IMHO

The vaccines are currently being tested on humans.  Those selfless volunteers who see the bigger picture.

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

Simply google "meat packing deaths."

Your experience may be the outlier.  Ask any health care worker in NYC and you will gain a completely different perspective.

Nope, mine is not.  I think you could do a poll here on CC and not get anyone else who personally knows 8 people who have died from this (not heard of, or know of, but actually know).  I know about meat packing plants but those are the outliers.  

As for NYC, my DH's cousin is a nurse and her husband is a Dr and they got their start in NYC before moving to Vegas and they don't know 8 people who have died in either Vegas or NYC.  My DH has multiple family members in NYC and none of them have caught it either.   Most of NY's deaths were associated with nursing homes and don't get me started on why that happened.   My DIL is a nurse here in NoVA and none of her friends (from nursing school or work) have had it either.   

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BND said:

Nope, mine is not.  I think you could do a poll here on CC and not get anyone else who knows 8 people who have died from this.  I know about meat packing plants but those are the outliers.  

As for NYC, my DH's cousin is a nurse and her husband is a Dr and they got their start in NYC before moving to Vegas and they don't know 8 people who have died in either Vegas or NYC.  My DH has multiple family members in NYC and none of them have caught it either.   Most of NY's deaths were associated with nursing homes.   My DIL is a nurse here in NoVA and none of her friends (from nursing school or work) have had it either.   

We will simply have to agree to disagree.  As taznremmy said, "count yourself blessed."  As the families of 175,000 Americans would say, "count yourself blessed."

5 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We will simply have to agree to disagree.  As taznremmy said, "count yourself blessed."  As the families of 175,000 Americans would say, "count yourself blessed."

We are blessed, never said we weren't, but we're also careful, just like we are about other illnesses.  But, that doesn't change the fact that knowing 8 people who died is not the norm at all.  It also doesn't change the fact that most people who die from it are over 75 and the majority of those have been in facilities.  And, we will get the vaccine.

BTW, just because someone says they know 8 people doesn't mean it's necessarily true.   They may have heard of 8 people.  Some people exaggerate to try to make a point.  And, you're defending someone you probably do not even know.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

BTW, just because someone says they know 8 people doesn't mean it's necessarily true.   They may have heard of 8 people.  Some people exaggerate to try to make a point.  And, you're defending someone you probably do not even know.

We worked in a transportation industry. We have several Facebook groups of over 7000 members. Current workers and retirees. There is even a obituary group. More than eight have died who worked or still work in the industry but eight of those who died I personally knew or worked with over a 30 year career. There could be more than the eight that I knew as not everyone is socially connected. A 30 year career is probably not the norm nor is working with a large workforce. Of course without FB I would likely have not known about all the deaths.

12 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@BND There have been 170,294 deaths in the United States as of 8/16/20.  If you are only aware of 1, count yourself blessed.  My Niece is a nurse in Los Angeles......this is not a hoax!

about 3 million people in the usa die every year, 2020 will be no different.

• Like 1

I know more people that died from smoking related illnesses this year then had covid. 

I noted someone on this post was volunteering to take the vaccine? Where is this at?

So? I don’t anyone who died from smoking related illness this year as far as I know. Besides the Covid cases I know one person who died, they died of complications of diabetes.

There are trials going on here in Maryland. If you want to volunteer wherever you live here is one place.

https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So? I don’t anyone who died from smoking related illness this year as far as I know. Besides the Covid cases I know one person who died, they died of complications of diabetes.

There are trials going on here in Maryland. If you want to volunteer wherever you live here is one place.

https://www.coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/

It really isn't a "so" but I get it. Smoking related deaths aren't as important as covid. You cant control how you get covid but you can control smoking.  And I regret to hear you have someone die of diabetes. I had 3 people, all go from COPD related to smoking. 2 in January. One in June. No one from covid. And we are all from NJ. I had one cousin from north jersey who had it but quickly recovered due to the hydroxychloroquine.  

It really isn't a "so" but I get it. Smoking related deaths aren't as important as covid. You cant control how you get covid but you can control smoking.  And I regret to hear you have someone die of diabetes. I had 3 people, all go from COPD related to smoking. 2 in January. One in June. No one from covid. And we are all from NJ. I had one cousin from north jersey who had it but quickly recovered due to the hydroxychloroquine.  

The “so” was I did not get your point bringing up smokers. I think smoking related deaths are important and have known people who died from such, close friends and coworkers (many coworkers were smokers) but none I know of the last few years.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The “so” was I did not get your point bringing up smokers. I think smoking related deaths are important and have known people who died from such, close friends and coworkers (many coworkers were smokers) but none I know of the last few years.

All this stuff is aggravating and probably shouldn't be on a cruise forum but that's what we all deal with now in this crazy time. I overreacted so no worries.

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

All this stuff is aggravating and probably shouldn't be on a cruise forum but that's what we all deal with now in this crazy time. I overreacted so no worries.

Agree, this thread is not the correct place to discuss the dangers of smoking.

• Like 1

If the question is purely philosophical, the answer is yes, but the real life question isn't a yes and no answer.

If RCCI announced a cruise on Nov1, 2020 and said you had to get a vaccine that was approved Oct 15, 2020. I wouldn't book the cruise. I want to be sure the vaccine is safe and effective before I take it. And I will get the vaccine, cruise or no cruise, when I am reasonably sure it is safe.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If the question is purely philosophical, the answer is yes, but the real life question isn't a yes and no answer.

If RCCI announced a cruise on Nov1, 2020 and said you had to get a vaccine that was approved Oct 15, 2020. I wouldn't book the cruise. I want to be sure the vaccine is safe and effective before I take it. And I will get the vaccine, cruise or no cruise, when I am reasonably sure it is safe.

That's entirely reasonable!  No one can be 100% sure of effectiveness or safety, but we make our decisions based on what you rightly describe as "reasonably sure."

We will get the vaccine even if we do not cruise again.  What really makes me think about cruising again is if the insurance companies opt out of covering covid while on a cruise.  If they do opt out if could have a real impact on the number of people who are willing to cruise again.  

• Like 1