If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

3 hours ago, Tim,n,Sue said:

We will get the vaccine even if we do not cruise again.  What really makes me think about cruising again is if the insurance companies opt out of covering covid while on a cruise.  If they do opt out if could have a real impact on the number of people who are willing to cruise again.  

Once there's a vaccine, that probably won't be an issue as long as the insured person has had the vaccine.  Until then, I can see that happening.

16 hours ago, BND said:

Once there's a vaccine, that probably won't be an issue as long as the insured person has had the vaccine.  Until then, I can see that happening.

Agreed but I worry that travel insurance companies will try to exclude people over a certain age from coverage.  It could be devastating for the cruise industry if the over 55 group were to stop cruising due to potentially crushing medical bills.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

All scientific advances against Covid are welcome. Looks like something which will be a very useful tool, although there’s still a way to go. 

11 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

FDA just approved the Abbott $5, 15 minute Covid Test.  Great news for cruising!

That is good news.  My understanding is that MSC is using a 90 minute test to screen at embark.  A 15 minute test would speed things up quite a bit.

20 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thank you so much for sharing this information!!!

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 11:08 PM, scottca075 said:

If the question is purely philosophical, the answer is yes, but the real life question isn't a yes and no answer.

If RCCI announced a cruise on Nov1, 2020 and said you had to get a vaccine that was approved Oct 15, 2020. I wouldn't book the cruise. I want to be sure the vaccine is safe and effective before I take it. And I will get the vaccine, cruise or no cruise, when I am reasonably sure it is safe.

If a vaccine is approved Oct 15th, there is no way that anyone would be vaccinated that fast.  It is going to be a huge logistics effort to produce and distribute it.  The priority will be health care workers first, then essential workers, the elderly, school kids and then the general public.

Maybe by 2022 everyone that wants one can get one.

Just hope that the cruise lines do not make it a requirement.

22 minutes ago, M&A said:

If a vaccine is approved Oct 15th, there is no way that anyone would be vaccinated that fast.  It is going to be a huge logistics effort to produce and distribute it.  The priority will be health care workers first, then essential workers, the elderly, school kids and then the general public.

The Moderna vax will be manufactured while Phase3 trials are being performed.  I think those who get it first will have it quite quickly.  

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/moderna-us-government-collaborate-on-producing-100-million-covid19-vaccine-doses

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

I signed up for the vax trials at Cincinnati Children's this week - they were looking for people so why not!  Not sure who gets selected but we'll see !

Good for you!!!!  I thought about it but my husband is very high risk, so probably not a good idea for me.  Please continue to keep us in the loop.

20 minutes ago, mek said:

Good for you!!!!  I thought about it but my husband is very high risk, so probably not a good idea for me.  Please continue to keep us in the loop.

will do!  never win contests, bingo, etc.  maybe I’ll get lucky this time around !!! hahahaha

On 8/28/2020 at 8:28 AM, M&A said:

If a vaccine is approved Oct 15th, there is no way that anyone would be vaccinated that fast.

That wasn't the point. It wasn't meant to be a realistic scenario, but as an example of my point; which was, "I will wait until the vaccine is proven effective and safe" before I get one.

41 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

That wasn't the point. It wasn't meant to be a realistic scenario, but as an example of my point; which was, "I will wait until the vaccine is proven effective and safe" before I get one.

The problem is that it will never be proven 100% safe.  The best you can do is go with the probabilities.  Say, for example, it shows 95% safe with a 5% chance of minor side effects... that's a go for me.  However, 98% safe, with a 2% chance of major side effects would probably be a no go.

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

The problem is that it will never be proven 100% safe.  The best you can do is go with the probabilities.  Say, for example, it shows 95% safe with a 5% chance of minor side effects... that's a go for me.  However, 98% safe, with a 2% chance of major side effects would probably be a no go.

What do you consider "major" side effects?  I had a reaction to the shringrex shots (both of them) fever, aches, exhaustion but it was more than worth it.  No vaccine is 100% safe, not the flu shot which millions get every year or many others, yet I don't personally know anyone who has had a serious reaction to any vaccine, because it's just that rare.  There will always be someone who has an adverse reaction, just like there's always someone allergic to something.  So far, even in older adults, the vaccines currently being tested are showing very few side effects and having positive effectiveness.  I think people have this weird idea about the covid vaccine because they think it's not being tested correctly, which isn't true. It's being pushed as fast as possible, but it's still going through ALL the testing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BND said:

So far, even in older adults, the vaccines currently being tested are showing very few side effects and having positive effectiveness. 

Almost all that we are seeing now are press releases from the drug companies trying to boost the prices of their stocks or glowing reports from those who profit in various ways from an attempt to fool the public into thinking a vaccine is just around the corner!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Almost all that we are seeing now are press releases from the drug companies trying to boost the prices of their stocks or glowing reports from those who profit in various ways from an attempt to fool the public into thinking a vaccine is just around the corner!

Why do you think that?  Any facts to back that up or are you believing some of the propaganda that you've "heard"?  I live in the DC area and testing is ongoing and results are reported out to the Fed Gov. It's not just "press releases".   But, you can believe what you want and get back to me in a few months when the vaccine is there and works, okay?

Conspiracy theories are great on paper, but they are really almost impossible to have actually work.   It's not a movie.

Edited by BND

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Why do you think that?  Any facts to back that up or are you believing some of the propaganda that you've "heard"?  I live in the DC area and testing is ongoing and results are reported out to the Fed Gov. It's not just "press releases".   But, you can believe what you want and get back to me in a few months when the vaccine is there and works, okay?

Conspiracy theories are great on paper, but they are really almost impossible to have actually work.   It's not a movie.

Check the stock price of NVAX trading at less than $10 in May and shooting up to above $100 now.  Now check the number of press releases issued during that period.  If you want to see what's happening, they are now forced to reveal that their officers have recently sold their stock options at the inflated price pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That's a fact!

Now your turn.  Provide facts that shows that a vaccine will be available in a few months.

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

Check the stock price of NVAX trading at less than $10 in May and shooting up to above $100 now.  Now check the number of press releases issued during that period.  If you want to see what's happening, they are now forced to reveal that their officers have recently sold their stock options at the inflated price pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That's a fact!

Now your turn.  Provide facts that shows that a vaccine will be available in a few months.

Insider trading happens all the time.  Cook (apple) sold stock at the same time. Also, royal insiders sold a lot of stock at $120 in February.  Wow - what did they know.  Remember, insiders are limited on when they can buy and sell stocks to non black out periods, which are usually right after quarterly announcements.  So they have the same info as everyone else.  

Also, you don’t know why they sold.  I’ve sold options and could have waited to make more, but wanted to lock in the profit. (Also sold too early, but 2 kids in private college and the tuition was due)  They may have found a great deal on a beach house.  You just don’t know why.  Some may cash in due to the election and not knowing the economy or tax rates next year.  

Can you provide fact that a vaccine will not be available?  Insiders selling stock does not mean no vaccine.  

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, M&A said:

That's probably a pretty good summation.  As you say, IF a vaccine is approved in 6 weeks.....

I wouldn't bet any money on that.

Edited by bouhunter

interested to see how this plays out - we are planning cruise 2021, harmony or oasis out of florida, we're in the UK so we are expecting a requirement to enter the USA with vaccination certification or something similar when flights from the UK - US resume, eventually. If we don't require vaccination to even just enter the US then we'd probably get one anyway in the UK as most will do when it becomes available. I personally would be happy to know that a Covid-19 proof of vaccination is required for cruising when it resumes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yogimax said:

Yep, 98 & 2 is as bad as the disease

FWIW, I don't personally know anyone who has had much less succumbed to the disease. I do know one friend who had a relative pass away in either late March or April.

That being said, I don't take it any less seriously.  But I do feel the media over reacts to boost ratings.  Same as the pharmaceutical companies, all about money

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Insider trading happens all the time.  

The point was NOT about insider trading.  it was about price manipulation using glowing press releases!

Those hyped up press releases are, in part, what leads to misinformation regarding the availability of a vaccine.

• Like 1

On the news this morning they said that the vaccine that is going to be ready later this year is a series of 2 shots one several weeks after the first one.  They also stated that being 2 instead of one is going to create a whole bunch of not so good logistics.  

9 minutes ago, yogimax said:

The point was NOT about insider trading.  it was about price manipulation using glowing press releases!

Those hyped up press releases are, in part, what leads to misinformation regarding the availability of a vaccine.

Of course it is about insider trading.  You brought up insider trading as the officers are selling their stock.  Why else would the officers of the company put out press releases to raise the price of stock so they can sell their stock and make big bucks.  Now of course that is illegal and if any press releases turn out to be fabricated or worded to drive the stock price up, all that money they made will go away and much more.

By the way, can you show me the evidence that press releases are not accurate?