TUI announces cancellation of restart date

On 9/9/2020 at 5:04 PM, MommaBear55 said:

Just went to my pulmonologist today, and my experience was the same. I also asked about the vaccine and he is dubious that it will be before Spring. 

If you speak with medical experts, especially the ones active in this field will say something simmilar. Hence, at best we will get something effective earliest next year and as it seems rather in the 2nd half if at all, all the rest is unfortunately "fake news".

Hence, we need to find a effective way to live with the virus as safely as possible with whatever restrictions it will require. Most important, I can't say it enough is personal hygiene and wearing a mask in public.

Edited by LXA350

P&O Cruises has extended the suspension of sailings until early next year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The UK's largest cruise line said the decision was taken due to 'evolving restrictions on travel'.

The firm had previously cancelled sailings until November 12.

All Caribbean cruises will be cancelled until the end of January 2021, while all cruises to and from Southampton will be cancelled until February. 

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It is interesting that the article mentions The Points Guy, who until recently wrote virtually (and probably knew) very little about cruising.

The Points Guy article which is linked in the one linked here was written by Gene Sloan who´s a long time cruise expert. He used to write for USA Today for decades and recently changed to The Points Guy (somewhen last year).

Mentioning the delay of the restart of MS1 in connection with Covid-19 cases is a bit off... This was prior to the restart and cases amongst the arriving crew which never stepped onboard as they were tested prior to boarding. The Points Guy article is totally correct saying there hasn´t been a Covid-19 incident onboard since they´ve started cruising (MSC and TUI Cruises).

This agrophilia article is a bit weird and off... The main purpose is to say that cruises out of Crete are a bad thing.

steamboats

47 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The Points Guy article which is linked in the one linked here was written by Gene Sloan who´s a long time cruise expert. He used to write for USA Today for decades and recently changed to The Points Guy (somewhen last year).

Mentioning the delay of the restart of MS1 in connection with Covid-19 cases is a bit off... This was prior to the restart and cases amongst the arriving crew which never stepped onboard as they were tested prior to boarding. The Points Guy article is totally correct saying there hasn´t been a Covid-19 incident onboard since they´ve started cruising (MSC and TUI Cruises).

This agrophilia article is a bit weird and off... The main purpose is to say that cruises out of Crete are a bad thing.

steamboats

The article seemed well balanced to me, with a slight bent towards defending Crete.  The author, Phil Butler, is a geopolitical expert who writes for many international media outlets.  This article by the Maritime Executive, is a bit more positive:

"The North American cruise executives are reported to be carefully following the progress of the Mein Schiff program, which is partially owned by the Royal Caribbean Group in partnership with TUI. They believe the success of these first cruises will provide a model for the resumption of cruising in North America later this year."

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/first-large-cruise-ship-resumes-service-in-greece

As the Bild-Zeitung announced, TUI Cruises is said to have tested new flash tests for the corona virus on 100 of the 800 crew members on Friday. 

The tests were carried out at the cruise terminal in Steinwerder. For this purpose a Mercedes bus drove up, according to the information it was labeled "Corona-Mobil". 

As the picture announces, new rapid tests would be tried here, these were developed by the Hamburg company MedSan and would sometimes only need eight minutes between the smear and the result. Basically, the test should take 15 to 20 minutes to get the result. The tests have already been extensively tested in clinics.

2?w=992

Previously comparable tests would therefore need six to 48 hours for a result. TUI Cruises told Bild that the previous quick tests were being carried out on the crew in parallel with the testing of the new tests. Therefore, only 100 people were subjected to the new test. This underlines once again how meticulous TUI Cruises is in its handling of the current situation; any chains of infection should be avoided as a precaution.

If the new tests are successful, they could soon be used in a wide variety of areas, including cruises. TUI Cruises is already back in service with three cruise ships, Mein Schiff 1 from / to Kiel, Mein Schiff 2 from / to Hamburg and Mein Schiff 6 from / to Heraklion. It is not yet possible to go ashore with the former ships. On the trips of Mein Schiff 6, guests can take booked excursions in Piraeus and Corfu.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 10:21 PM, little britain said:

Today the second Costa Cruises ship to resume cruise operations with the departure of Costa Diadema from Genoa.

Having re-entered service in the Mediterranean with Costa Cruises earlier this month and with AIDA set to launch service in October, Carnival Corporation has outlined some of elements of the protocols its brands are following.

The company said further that with the Costa brand having restarted cruise operations this month in Italy, its learnings and best practices would be shared among its additional eight cruise line brands, as well as the rest of the industry.

Costa introduced its Safety Protocol developed with advice from medical experts, government and health authorities, aligning with global and national health guidelines, Carnival stated.

The enhanced protocols include online checking and self-certification; further health screening for guests and crew prior to embarkation; physical distancing, reduced occupancy, and staggered boarding times; mandatory face masks in all public areas onboard; redesigned common areas, entertainment and restaurants; protected shore excursions managed by Costa; increased sanitization of all public areas and cabins, expanded shipboard health services and crew training; detailed response, isolation, contact tracing and disembarkation plans for suspected cases, and more.

AIDA will have similar protocols implemented when it launches service next month, including regular temperature checks for guests and crew while onboard; staggered muster drills; routing systems on arrival, departure and onboard to minimize large gatherings; buffet restaurants converted to service restaurants, and more.

Carnival cited a number of leading health, epidemiological and policy experts it has been working with for developing the protocols and procedures for the return of cruise vacations.

• Like 1

And another one.....SeaDream ship to leave Portsmouth on October 19 for 17-day transatlantic crossing. Fares from £2,768pp. (UK government still advises against taking an ocean cruise) - so not sure who will be on her at that price!

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, little britain said:

And another one.....SeaDream ship to leave Portsmouth on October 19 for 17-day transatlantic crossing. Fares from £2,768pp. (UK government still advises against taking an ocean cruise) - so not sure who will be on her at that price!

Is it true what the news reports are saying that the UK might be headed for another lockdown in a few weeks?  

On 9/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Is it true what the news reports are saying that the UK might be headed for another lockdown in a few weeks?  

that won’t happen, it’s a political hot potato.  What is happening is that large parts of country are having tightening restrictions.  For example where I live in the north, I cannot go visit another household either inside or in their garden, so I cannot visit my mum, but I could meet her in a pub at separate tables or out in the park. Pubs and restaurants have to close at 10.00.  Honestly it’s a right mess.

all schools are open and kids have just returned to Uni.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, livingonthebeach said:

It is very region specific at the moment.  Mostly centred on the north of the country. There are few cases in the south.

I am fortunate enough to be currently living in a “bubble” where there are no cases due to strict quarantine enforcement ( and hefty financial penalties for not complying); so I have never worn a face mask, there is no social distancing, all bars and restaurants doing a booming trade.

Life is exactly as it was in February; ie normal! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, little britain said:

There are few cases in the south.

I am fortunate enough to be currently living in a “bubble” where there are no cases due to strict quarantine enforcement ( and hefty financial penalties for not complying); so I have never worn a face mask, there is no social distancing, all bars and restaurants doing a booming trade.

Life is exactly as it was in February; ie normal! 

Mmmm haven't heard of any bubble with no cases in UK, unless you are in the channel Islands or Isle of Man. Cases going up even in South of England. All boroughs of London are on a watch list (first step before lockdown). 

I'm still going to gym and swimming pool, but limiting shopping and staying away from crowds. Occasionally eating out. All socially distancing measures and wearing of masks in shops and public transport. We've had two holidays, one in self catering cottage in Cornwall and a few days in the New Forest. Just being careful and taking sensible precautions