Hurtigruten 4 crew test positive

Manx buoy

Sad to see so many affected on this cruise. Some cruise line had to start somewhere and test the water and procedure's. Hopefully an investigation will take place to see what works and what needs changing.

Testing before boarding with these new 90 min tests ..... If they work.....

• Like 1

The worrying thing is that this has happened on such a small ship. If the rate of infection is say 10 in 100,000 then the odds on at least one passenger or crew member being infected on a ship with a total of 300 people on board is 3 in 100. For 1500 this rises to 1 in 7, for 7000 to 1 in 2. Not much hope for big ships!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes agree.  Not much hope for the bigger ships.  Only needs 1 infected person to spread it.

Only needs 1 person to spread it on any size ship and think the confines and space ratio might make it easier to spread the virus on a small ship. Having cruised on Britannia, Arcadia and Aurora if I had the choice I think it would prefer to be on Britannia because of the size of the ship I could find it easier to social distance.

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Only needs 1 person to spread it on any size ship and think the confines and space ratio might make it easier to spread the virus on a small ship. Having cruised on Britannia, Arcadia and Aurora if I had the choice I think it would prefer to be on Britannia because of the size of the ship I could find it easier to social distance.

To be honest, if 1 person had it, the only vessel I would want to be on is a lifeboat on a quick jaunt to the nearest shoreline...although I do get what you mean.

• Like 1

Just now, No pager thank you said:

To be honest, if 1 person had it, the only vessel I would want to be on is a lifeboat on a quick jaunt to the nearest shoreline...although I do get what you mean.

I agree, it seems from some of the reports that 1 person suspected, all other guests confined to cabins.

Russian roulette comes to mind.

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

Conversely, if they put the infected person on the lifeboat, the rest of us can stay onboard.🚢

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I agree, it seems from some of the reports that 1 person suspected, all other guests confined to cabins.

Russian roulette comes to mind.

The right thing to do.  The same thing as happens at home, but it does not encourage honesty does it!!   

In real life I had a sore throat yesterday.  I warned the other two members of my household - if I come out positive you are stuck at home for ten days.  I was so worried, it is boiling hot and my family are always going out for walks.  Just imagine if we had boarded a ship.  I really would not have wanted to admit that sore throat to confine my family to a cruise stuck in a cabin.  

[I was COVID negative]

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

The right thing to do.  The same thing as happens at home, but it does not encourage honesty does it!!   

In real life I had a sore throat yesterday.  I warned the other two members of my household - if I come out positive you are stuck at home for ten days.  I was so worried, it is boiling hot and my family are always going out for walks.  Just imagine if we had boarded a ship.  I really would not have wanted to admit that sore throat to confine my family to a cruise stuck in a cabin.  

[I was COVID negative]

So pleased you tested negative. That's the worry now though isn't it? Every little, sore throat,  cough, even my usual hayfever symptoms that I'd normally brush aside take on a whole new meaning now.

Avril 

• Like 4