Hurtigruten 4 crew test positive

Manx buoy

The link below on this subject makes unhappy reading, including Stavanger not accepting passengers from AIDA ships in August.

The question of what ports will accept passengers remains one of the (many) issues cruise lines have to deal with, and is perhaps one of the most important.

I can only agree with the earlier posters that this does not bode well.

Not "doom-mongering",  just being realistic.

We are very keen to get back on a cruise like everyone else but it suddenly looks further away than ever this evening.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/07/articles/disease/covid-19-crew-member-infections-confirmed-on-hurtigruten-cruise-ship/

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

We are very keen to get back on a cruise like everyone else but it suddenly looks further away than ever this evening.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/07/articles/disease/covid-19-crew-member-infections-confirmed-on-hurtigruten-cruise-ship/

The expected announcement by the end of July from P&O has failed to materialise.  Let's see on Tuesday at 10🤔...

I can only sense that the strength of the virus across many countries in Europe in the Summer months and it's ability to develop second / subsequent waves in socially distanced conditions is causing initial restart plans to be revisited.

What I would say, and to be honest have said before, is that P&O needs to change its 90 day payment window, now.  If it can't predict the uncertainty, even with its expertise, seminars etc, then it shouldn't expect the customer to do so.

There was some initial support for keeping schtum; but many customers will be expecting an update shortly, to avoid confidence being further eroded. 

Why would anyone book a cruise in October at this moment in time?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I know Hurtigruten and her crew are Norwegian, now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she sail out of Germany with mainly German passengers? I seem to have read it somewhere I'm sure.

I thought it was all Norwegian passengers. The line sailing with German passengers is Aida, I think; sorry, it's too hot and I'm too lazy to check.

Perhaps we should ask Roger.😃

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

The link below on this subject makes unhappy reading, including Stavanger not accepting passengers from AIDA ships in August.

The question of what ports will accept passengers remains one of the (many) issues cruise lines have to deal with, and is perhaps one of the most important.

I can only agree with the earlier posters that this does not bode well.

This is really bad news.

Even these small steps towards starting cruising are experiencing problems, so I can’t see for the life of me how cruising on the larger ships can start, in the current situation. 

As you say, this is not negatively, it’s just realism.  

Although my head has accepted a couple of months ago that realistic cruising is over for the year and probably longer, my heart still wants to believe that cruising will start again. But I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon 

• Like 2

Just now, AnnieC said:

I thought it was all Norwegian passengers. The line sailing with German passengers is Aida, I think; sorry, it's too hot and I'm too lazy to check.

Whenever I here Roger it reminds me of Steve Larkin's doing his Freddy Mercury show  and asking a front row member of the theatre if they will be his Roger. 

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It was a river cruise not Hurtigruten. You're correct.My mistake so, please don't call forth Roger. I couldn't stand the confusion😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It was a river cruise not Hurtigruten. You're correct.My mistake so, please don't call forth Roger. I couldn't stand the confusion😉

Avril 

Wasn’t it Mein Schiff  that sailed from Germany?

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Don't know but she is due to dock in UK ports in September.

They’re advertising here 🇮🇲 as a call maybe they should check with our government first borders are still closed🤔

52 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

Wasn’t it Mein Schiff  that sailed from Germany?

Oh god, now I'm totally confused. Do you ever think that sometimes you should have stayed quiet. I'm having one of those moments right now😂😂😂

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

I think Chris Witty has just about summed everything up we’ve reached the limit on what can happen. At the moment we’re clear over here now for over 10 weeks but it’s only a matter of time before we get it again. I’m afraid cruising won’t be happening for a very long time yet maybe the companies should realise this and be honest with their customers 

• Like 3

The process needs to be that land holidays like Spain go without a hitch and quarantine is not required before cruising can realistically be considered. 

The toe dippers are going too soon and leaving themselves wide open for scrutiny, doing more harm than good. 

The April next year rumour is sounding more realistic now. 

Andy 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes Mein Schiff did a 3 day cruise to nowhere from Hamburg, with a pirouette outside Oslo, then back to Hamburg. 

According to marinetraffic global Mein Schiff 2's first cruise was to Kristiansand where she did the pirouette in the harbour and left. The next one was to Oslo where she was scheduled to dock for 3 hours. Marine traffic showed her alongside. No idea why unless they were testing ship shore protocols for evacuating passengers etc.

The press reports on the Hurtigruten issue imply that the company seem to have adopted a cavalier attitude to the recommended procedures, also maybe TUI did as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

The process needs to be that land holidays like Spain go without a hitch and quarantine is not required before cruising can realistically be considered. 

The toe dippers are going too soon and leaving themselves wide open for scrutiny, doing more harm than good. 

The April next year rumour is sounding more realistic now. 

Andy 

My friend knows one of the P&O loyalty managers, and he’s been told he won’t be needed until at least April. He’s currently a delivery driver for Amazon.

• Like 5