Mask????

I knew all those Qantas sleeping masks we have collected over the years would come in handy some time!!!   It's as useless as the proverbial "Tits on a Bull" - but it's a "mask" !!!! 

IMG20200801162622.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am in Sydney. I wore my mask for the first time tonight at the supermarket after work. Didnt fog my glasses but did make me feel a bit lightheaded. Hardly anyone in Coles including staff were wearing them. We have all been issued with masks at work.  To be worn when we cant social distance.  Since last week, daughter and hubby take their masks with them everywhere  and wear them when social distancing  is likely to be an issue.

We each carry a couple of reusable masks plus a couple of disposable ones. Every couple of weeks we go to a big shopping centre and have coffee and/or lunch there as well as shopping for things we need. We use 2-3 masks during those trips.

We wore masks this morning for our weekly shop even though we go early to miss the crowd. I finally convinced SWMBO to wear one by asking her how she would like to be on a respirator wishing she had simply worn a mask.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I am in Sydney. I wore my mask for the first time tonight at the supermarket after work. Didnt fog my glasses but did make me feel a bit lightheaded. Hardly anyone in Coles including staff were wearing them. We have all been issued with masks at work.  To be worn when we cant social distance.  Since last week, daughter and hubby take their masks with them everywhere  and wear them when social distancing  is likely to be an issue.

I think how you feel when wearing a mask, depends what fabric it is made from. I wore one this morning that was more synthetic than more pure cotton ones and I felt I couldn't breathe as well. My main problem is my specs keep slipping down! They do need to be tightened, but I'll get by until our stage 4 restrictions are over. Perhaps wear my old specs when wearing a mask.

Leigh

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think how you feel when wearing a mask, depends what fabric it is made from. I wore one this morning that was more synthetic than more pure cotton ones and I felt I couldn't breathe as well.

That's why I decided to make my own, so I know what fabrics are in it. There is a polycotton layer but the inner and outer layers are cotton. I don't have problems breathing or with my glasses, although DH complained his glasses were fogging up yesterday. However they are very hot to wear. I'll have to find some cooler fabrics for when the weather warms up and maybe even try a different pattern. But I'll wait until my poor sewing machine has been serviced. I think it would go on strike if I tried making more masks at the moment. 🤣

Julie

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I think how you feel when wearing a mask, depends what fabric it is made from. I wore one this morning that was more synthetic than more pure cotton ones and I felt I couldn't breathe as well. My main problem is my specs keep slipping down! They do need to be tightened, but I'll get by until our stage 4 restrictions are over. Perhaps wear my old specs when wearing a mask.

Leigh

I think i just need to get used to it.  Family are wearing  same masks and have no issues.  If it continues i will buy some in different  fabric.  Hope you fix the glasses issue, that would be annoying. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I think i just need to get used to it.  Family are wearing  same masks and have no issues.  If it continues i will buy some in different  fabric.  Hope you fix the glasses issue, that would be annoying. 

Fold a tissue to the width of the mask and then fold it in a strip about 15-20mm wide, place it just inside the top edge of the mask as you are putting it on, and shape the mask to your face. It helps with the seal and the tissue absorbs the moisture in your breath. Works for me and the wife. This stops fogging.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Fold a tissue to the width of the mask and then fold it in a strip about 15-20mm wide, place it just inside the top edge of the mask as you are putting it on, and shape the mask to your face. It helps with the seal and the tissue absorbs the moisture in your breath. Works for me and the wife. This stops fogging.

Thanks.  My glasses didnt fog but will give it try to help with the other issue.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Leigh, try twisting a rubber band on the earpieces of your glasses at the back where they sit behind your ears. Someone I knew years ago used to do that.

Thanks Julie I’ll have to give it a try.

Leigh

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's why I decided to make my own, so I know what fabrics are in it. There is a polycotton layer but the inner and outer layers are cotton. I don't have problems breathing or with my glasses, although DH complained his glasses were fogging up yesterday. However they are very hot to wear. I'll have to find some cooler fabrics for when the weather warms up and maybe even try a different pattern. But I'll wait until my poor sewing machine has been serviced. I think it would go on strike if I tried making more masks at the moment. 🤣

Julie

When you get your sewing machine out refer to this

Cheers Carole4CF24472-99B9-425C-A087-2DCF0B484F1D.gif.2a8efec97162f733da5229576e12b919.gif

9 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

When you get your sewing machine out refer to this

Cheers Carole4CF24472-99B9-425C-A087-2DCF0B484F1D.gif.2a8efec97162f733da5229576e12b919.gif

Thanks, but I wish they'd provide a similar chart for the more common types of fabric you can buy, using the names the fabric shops use. Plus their examples aren't precise enough ie pillowcases can be realtively thin ie 300 thread count or thicker with a higher thread count. Tshirts aren't always made from the same quality cotton. Teatowels are very variable too. 

We're wearing masks down here in metropolitan Melbourne and have been for a few weeks ... it's compulsory.  No probs after I learned about the tissue trick with the specs.  I'm actually finding ....

1.  Masks are a lot warmer for the face with this antarctic blast we've been getting down here for the last few days.  LOL it's quite warm and cosy inside the mask.

2.  I'm saving a fortune in cosmetics.  Haven't worn make up since ... um, I can't remember when?  My lower face is completely covered and my specs almost cover my upper face.  Of course, my longer hair (no hairdressers allowed to open here) covers my forehead and down beside my ears.

3.  I'm actually enjoying the "anonymous look".  I'm of an age these days and I've felt invisible for about 20 years.

All I can say is do the right thing, suck it up and just get on with it!  Oh, and if you feel unwell, stay home and give the rest of us a break!

Sorry but many thoughtless idiots down here are out and about when they shouldn't be!!!  Angry about that.

Keep safe and keep healthy cruisers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks, but I wish they'd provide a similar chart for the more common types of fabric you can buy, using the names the fabric shops use. Plus their examples aren't precise enough ie pillowcases can be realtively thin ie 300 thread count or thicker with a higher thread count. Tshirts aren't always made from the same quality cotton. Teatowels are very variable too. 

It’s a how long is a piece of string chart.

Cheers Carole 

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, Russell21 said:

This is what I do and does the trick for me as well. 

On 8/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, LC1950 said:

All I can say is do the right thing, suck it up and just get on with it!  Oh, and if you feel unwell, stay home and give the rest of us a break!

Sorry but many thoughtless idiots down here are out and about when they shouldn't be!!!  Angry about that.

Keep safe and keep healthy cruisers.

Ditto! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 4:37 PM, bazzaw said:

I knew all those Qantas sleeping masks we have collected over the years would come in handy some time!!!   It's as useless as the proverbial "Tits on a Bull" - but it's a "mask" !!!! 

IMG20200801162622.jpg

Those masks look like British Airways style. Qantas had a different style. But both could come in handy.