Interesting potential plans to avoid second lockdown......and maybe get cruising going again

Harry Peterson

According to the Telegraph, elderly people and others thought to be at increased risk from Covid-19 could be asked to stay at home under radical plans being drawn up to avoid a second national lockdown.

An interesting possible strategy.  Might keep the economy alive, and cruising too. Not so good for older people, and Lord Sumption is already up in arms at the prospect.

Very much two sides to this one!

• Like 3

According to today's Times, and assuming increasing numbers of infections generally, one of the suggestions is that we're all going to get an individual risk assessment letter largely based on age, and London to be locked down (again assuming cases rise there) with the border at the M25. Haven't finished the article yet - there may be more. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

According to today's Times, and assuming increasing numbers of infections generally, one of the suggestions is that we're all going to get an individual risk assessment letter largely based on age, and London to be locked down (again assuming cases rise there) with the border at the M25. Haven't finished the article yet - there may be more. 

Thanks. I’ve just read the Times article - rather more detailed than the Telegraph and seems to confirm the story.

Seems eminently sensible to me, particularly as it seems to be advisory, but two schools of thought on this.

The shielding stuff has always been advisory too, but that’s not always been understood.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Yesterday, I joked on another thread that each street would soon  have its own individual lockdown instructions. I nearly said that each individual person would have their own lockdown instructions, but I thought that would be taking the joke too far. Now it seems I would have been right ! 😂

• Like 4

I did read somewhere ,heavens knows where, that using track and trace data, a lot of the infections are being spread by different households getting together in houses. More so than being on public transport (wearing a mask) or in shops (wearing a mask). Maybe if they just went back to not 2 households to get together at all in hot spots.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks. I’ve just read the Times article - rather more detailed than the Telegraph and seems to confirm the story.

Ah, a man who doesn't have to combine reading the Sunday papers with cooking lunch.😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I did read somewhere ,heavens knows where, that using track and trace data, a lot of the infections are being spread by different households getting together in houses. More so than being on public transport (wearing a mask) or in shops (wearing a mask). Maybe if they just went back to not 2 households to get together at all in hot spots.

I've heard that this morning - you are more likely to catch it at home than anywhere else. 

28 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yesterday, I joked on another thread that each street would soon  have its own individual lockdown instructions. I nearly said that each individual person would have their own lockdown instructions, but I thought that would be taking the joke too far. Now it seems I would have been right ! 😂

I hope they don't do it by parliamentary constituency - my neighbours across the road live in one, I live in another.😂

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ah, a man who doesn't have to combine reading the Sunday papers with cooking lunch.😂

I have no excuses at all, Annie. You’ve found me out.  Fray Bentos pies don’t go down too well with my lovely wife, so I’m ashamed to say she does all the cooking.

Fortunately, she loves doing it, loves experimenting with new recipes, and I am a very happy beneficiary!

Harry

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have no excuses at all, Annie. You’ve found me out.  Fray Bentos pies don’t go down too well with my lovely wife, so I’m ashamed to say she does all the cooking.

Fortunately, she loves doing it, loves experimenting with new recipes, and I am a very happy beneficiary!

Harry

I should have gone down the Fray Bentos route instead of trying to roast pork with assorted accompaniments, faff around wasting hours on here (and that's the fault of all the (mostly!) interesting posters who've turned up here regularly fairly recently😂) and read the papers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

We're not currently allowed (Leicester)to meet anyone from outside our household anywhere that's indoors, or in a private garden. I believe a similar rule applies in the hotspots in the North West. This is when living near a densely populated city has its disadvantages! 

This virus is new and something never experienced before. The way it changes can't be predicted and therefore the advice has to change accordingly. I would much rather Boris keeps updating the advice if it avoids another total country lockdown. He's  in a precarious position at the moment. He's juggling with trying to get the economy going again, while keeping the virus from escalating. However, while his advice is being ignored by many he may as well try to command the tide. The government can't do this on their own, we have to play our part, all of us. 

My thoughts only.

Avril 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

If London goes in to a form of "national intervention" then the whole country will have to mirror, including the devolved administrations, more of a political reality, IMHO.

It is unfortunately very interesting that parts of the capital have higher infection rates than the parts of the North West now (in a local lockdown) and that the regional R rate is very similar and moving at a very similar pace, but that is currently not convenient to talk about... 🤔

You will recall that was what happened last time where the epidemic peaked in London around 3 weeks before other areas.

It won't be seen as tolerable for the capital to have its economy curtailed, whilst north of the Watford gap thrives.  The question is can the Government see out the remainder of the Summer?

However, I can see the personalised letters and the schools/pubs and international travel trade off coming in to play from September onwards; the "silver shutdown" as I have heard it called, is political dynamite so unlikely to happen, perversely even if it would come with better compliance. 

I don't usually mention the word "political" on here and certainly don't want to go in to the politics, it just seems directly relevant here.

These trade offs would also extend the restrictions on international cruise ship travel.