Dire financial predictions from Carnival Corp. Is RCI next?

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

There is so much wrong with that I don't know where to start.  

Please  enlighten me. Are you a CPA or member of another world recognized accountancy body like the ICAEW we have here? 

4 hours ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

So, with 4.684B in current assets to cover 4.736 in current liabilities they are insolvent. With 1.805B in customer deposits that mostly will not be paid back and turned into revenue once sailing have started, they could be seen as solvent. For each month delay, over 250M cash will be burned and most likely more deposits will have to be refunded (as customers realize the risk of losing the deposit becomes greater), the threshold to insolvency lowers. The only saving grace is new debt. This will dry up and become more expensive hindering any future recovery. I wonder when all these points intersect?

A good point was made regarding the value of assets. I would think that all ships have scrap value if there are no buyers and they cost money to store. Like owning an elephant if there are no paying customers to see that elephant. Still has to be feed and someone to clean up its poop.

Many companies take advantage of a positively sloped yield curve to fund themselves primarily with short term debt causing current liabilities to exceed current assets.  As of 12/31/19 Exxon had $50B in current assets vs $63B in current liabilities.  Walmart  had $62B in current assets vs $77B in current liabilities.  Are they insolvent?  It's a non-issue.

Edited by Baron Barracuda

39 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

RCL doesn't pay income taxes (at least not in US) so you won't find any deferred taxes on their balance sheet.  

I can’t comment about RCL, but in the Carnival Corp’ financial statements for the year ended 30 November 2019 within their accounting policies is a note on page 73 confirming their deferred income tax policy.

• Thanks 1

Wow, one thread today is quoting scripture, and this one is an Accounting lesson. 

Interesting what we discuss with no cruises on the Horizon[emoji6]

What was the scripture quoted, with what reference to context and on which thread?

11 minutes ago, drsel said:
26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Posts 76 and 82
Something do do with loyalty

Thanks, it is about a poor lady offering all that she had to God

Correct, but the context was loyalty measured by dollars or by nights. The crux was someone could be blindly loyal but didn't have the means to afford suites 

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Correct, but the context was loyalty measured by dollars or by nights. The crux was someone could be blindly loyal but didn't have the means to afford suites 

That's a pretty close interpretation.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

I can’t comment about RCL, but in the Carnival Corp’ financial statements for the year ended 30 November 2019 within their accounting policies is a note on page 73 confirming their deferred income tax policy.

Have too much free time lately so scanned the CCL 2019 annual report and 10k.  Neither has a page 73.  Didn't see a mention on deferred taxes.  Annual report had a discussion in footnote 8 on income taxes which basically says they consider their international operations exempt from US income tax.  They are however liable for income taxes on their US shore operations, mainly Alaska hotels & land tours.  They pay some taxes to other countries such as UK and Australia however their total income tax expense for 2019 was only $70MM, resulting in an effective rate of 2.3%.

9 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Have too much free time lately so scanned the CCL 2019 annual report and 10k.  Neither has a page 73.  Didn't see a mention on deferred taxes.  Annual report had a discussion in footnote 8 on income taxes which basically says they consider their international operations exempt from US income tax.  They are however liable for income taxes on their US shore operations, mainly Alaska hotels & land tours.  They pay some taxes to other countries such as UK and Australia however their total income tax expense for 2019 was only $70MM, resulting in an effective rate of 2.3%.

Sorry Barracuda

Just realised I was looking through the Carnival financial statements for the PLC and not Corporation. But as PLC and Corp' are dual listed in the USA and UK they must both apply the same IFRS accounting standards.

The deferred tax provisions are was alluding to relate to accelerated capital allowances and therefore the timing difference that occurs when fixed assets are depreciated over their economic useful lives, but qualify for full tax relief when acquired.

Lot's of "other" shoes will drop before our beloved cruises come back.  Every line will likely be leaner and meaner and hopefully strong enough to build back to a good schedule.  We are sitting on the sidelines and placing bets on the COME line.  Looking for a win!  I hope MSC is successful