Haven equal?

sargemrs

Question for you frequent cruisers.  Though we love Norwegian we’ve run out of places we really want to go with them on the newer ships.  We have a group of 5 families that want to plan for next year and a 60 year wedding anniversary so we want Haven equal experience!  Any ideas? We like new ships!  Can someone guide us?

I would suggest you take a look at MSC.  They have lots of newer ships and their Yacht Club cabins/area are very nice.  Think Seaside, Seaview, with the newest and largest being Grandiosa. 

Their prices are quite competitive as well. 

The jewel class ships (Pearl, Jewel, Jade and Gem) have haven cabins but not the expansive haven areas as on the Mega ships. 

Cheers

Oh wow!  Our son stayed in Joy’s owners suite and it was AMAZING!  We’re definitely looking for a similar experience.  We stayed in aft haven but the walk was too much for us but the room was fabulous, but of course way below the OS.  I already looked at MSC but was put off by the 2 story suite.  Climbing up and down would be a bad thing for me!  Is that the configuration for their upper end suites?

We have also sailed in the Haven and in the Yacht Club.  Enjoyed both experiences, and I agree that MSC is the more reasonable option right now.

Now, for something a little different that will blow your socks off......try the 3 bedroom Villas on the smaller NCL ships.  If you can get together 6 couples, you can rent both Villas (there are only 2 on the ship!) and open up between them.  This will give you a panoramic view, as the Villas will cover from side to side.  Villas have a private hot tub, sauna, 2 deck outdoor area with sunning and eating, a grand piano, and each room within is very generous with its own bath.  We did a single Villa on the Dawn to Bermuda for my daughter's college graduation.  Had seven in the room (1 on couch).  Our butler brought dinner one night, which we ate on the balcony....they served course by course.  Just lovely!  I have been wanting to go back and rent both Villas with friends ever since.  Thought Alaska or Panama Canal would be ideal trip for the panoramic viewing!)  However, it is quite pricey.....so think cha-ching, cha-ching!  These are almost self-contained, so if you really wanted to, you don't even have to leave your stateroom during the entire cruise!  I guarantee a memorable cruise---even without it being the newest ship!

We had piano players, so had a concert every night.  The bonus was that the next door Villa was a wedding party and the pianist was into dueling pianos with my daughters!  Such fun!  But the pianos are players, so even if you don't have an artist, you can still enjoy!  Our room had a galley, so plenty of coffee, etc. and refrigerators for snacks!

48 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

I already looked at MSC but was put off by the 2 story suite.  Climbing up and down would be a bad thing for me!  Is that the configuration for their upper end suites?

There are different types suites in the Yacht Club that are not duplex. Which ship are you considering? 

On the newer ships, there are Royal Suites (I had one on Seaside) and on their current build, there will be Owner's Suites. None of those are duplex/2-story suites.  

57 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Oh wow!  Our son stayed in Joy’s owners suite and it was AMAZING!  We’re definitely looking for a similar experience.  We stayed in aft haven but the walk was too much for us but the room was fabulous, but of course way below the OS.  I already looked at MSC but was put off by the 2 story suite.  Climbing up and down would be a bad thing for me!  Is that the configuration for their upper end suites?

I'm not sure about every ship but on Meraviglia the 2 story suites are not Yacht Club suites.

23 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC has turned the Duplex Suites into Yacht Club Suites. LINK

Thank you for that information.

That is a good thing! We were interested in them when Meraviglia was new but since they were not Yacht Club suites they were not an option for us.

The main issue that I had with MSC Yacht Club suites was that they only have 1 bathroom, even in the large Royal Suite.  There was plenty of room for more people, but with young women (daughters) there was NO WAY we could only have 1 bathroom!  Now that they are changing the 2 story suites into Yacht Club, that may be solved.

While I like the Haven, I dislike that the menu is the same every night in the restaurant.

Royal Caribbean suite lounge on Oasis class includes complementary happy hour with hot and cold hors d'oeuvre, open bar (limited brands) and the suite dining room has a different menu each night. Lunch menu changes daily but breakfast is same choices. Morning grab and go continental breakfast is also available on the lounge side and light snacks during the day. Lounge also offers complimentary wine/soda/water bottles from 11 am to 11pm. Since the restaurant is part of the lounge you can get the open bar and wine during dinner service as well. I Don't drink that much outside of dinner time and not picky about my wine or liquor brands and you don't have to pay the service tax on the free at sea drink package. 

Downside with Royal is there is no private pool but there is private sun deck with a bar and some ships have a hot tub there as well. Overall I think the concierges on Royal are more attentive and do more than on NCL. You also get reserved seating for the shows and other perks. 

There are 3 levels of suites, the lowest one (Jr. Suite) does not have access to the suite lounge but may eat dinner if there is space and I think may eat breakfast there. 

Middle class (Grand Suite and above) gives you access to the lounge all day and all meals (and free unlimited wifi for both guests in room).

Top tier suites includes Genies which are a combo butler and private concierge that follow you around the ship and set everything up for you and cater to all your requests. This class also gets pretty much everything for free all over the ship from drinks to all specialty dining and starbucks including having a happy hour bar cart brought to your suite in the afternoon. The price jump between the middle and upper tier is pretty big though but you can find some good deals on the off season.

I still sail NCL but lately have enjoyed the suite experience on Royal Caribbean Oasis class ships more. I know this is an NCL board, there are elements of both I like. It's good to try other options and different lines from time to time.

1 hour ago, djvcr said:

I know this is an NCL board, there are elements of both I like. It's good to try other options and different lines from time to time.

Thank you for the info. I'm the same with NCL and MSC. There are elements of both (Haven and Yacht Club) that I enjoy. Some things are better on NCL. Some things are better on MSC.

In the past, Michael Bayley and Richard Fain stated that RCCL was against the "ship within a ship" concept but there are obviously advantages for those who book the higher-end staterooms on RCCL.

10 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Thank you for the info. I'm the same with NCL and MSC. There are elements of both (Haven and Yacht Club) that I enjoy. Some things are better on NCL. Some things are better on MSC.

What do you like better in the Haven compared to the Yacht Club?

I think that overall NCL are better than MSC in some areas but I really can't say anything that I like better in the Haven compared to the Yacht Club. 

Thanks to all that took time to reply.  I'm still in the "looking" and planning phase but you all have given me valued information.

I also would like to hear the comparisons of the Yacht Club and Haven.  We usually eat at Specialty restaurants every other night, so the same menu in the Haven restaurant isn't a problem for our group.  It's large enough and varied enough that all can find something delish!  We also enjoyed the children's programs to keep our grandkids occupied.  The Haven observation area was where we spent lots of time, with the treats, drinks and comfortable seating!  Loved it!!

13 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

What do you like better in the Haven compared to the Yacht Club?

My situation is a bit different as a family of 4. I understand that what applies to me may not apply to others. My MSC experience is only with Seaside but I have Meraviglia and Seashore booked. 

On NCL, there are many more options for 4 in the Haven than in the Yacht Club. Using Breakaway, Getaway, or Escape, there is the Deluxe Owner's Suite, the Owner's Suite, the 2BR Family Villa, the Forward-Facing Penthouse, and the Aft-Facing Penthouse for 4. On Bliss, Encore, and Joy, the options are mostly the same (no Owner's Suite) but now, Joy has even more (former Concierge Suites turned into Haven Suites). 

On MSC, the choices are much more limited. There are fewer stateroom types to choose from and since parties of 2 and 4 are fighting for the same staterooms, it's harder to get exactly what you want. I was forced to take the Royal Suite on Meraviglia because that was the only stateroom that was available. I booked before the Duplex Suites were converted to Yacht Club and I even considered switching but by that time, the price had risen to the point that it wasn't worth it. Even though neither stateroom has a great balcony view and both have a whirlpool on the balcony, I decided to stay where I was and keep the one bathroom vs. having two in the Duplex. 

I think I prefer the forward facing lounge on Seaside vs the BA Plus ships because you can walk outside from the lounge on Seaside.

For forward-facing sundeck, some of NCL's (BA/GA/Escape) are rather small for the Haven. On some ships, the entire forward-facing sundeck is Haven and NCL might expand the Haven sundeck in some cases but on Getaway (for ex.) they kept the small Haven sundeck and expanded VIBE's area to include the larger front-facing area and port side in addition to the starboard side that it already had. Personally, I would have expanded the Haven sundeck to include the front section while giving the port side to VIBE (the way that Encore is). Even better would be to split the Haven sundeck into all ages on one side and adult-only on the other side. No real complaints about MSC's sundeck. Some people don't like the lack of shade but it's not a problem for us. The food and drink options by the pool are easily better than NCL. 

I think that NCL concierges have more "power" to get things done vs MSC concierges.. On the flip-side, MSC's butler service is much better than NCL's. I've never had a bad butler but I read more complaints about NCL butlers than MSC butlers. Maybe I've just been lucky with both. 

In suite dining is much better on NCL. Any meal from nearly any restaurant can be served in suite or on the balcony with NCL. For MSC, the options are very limited in comparison.

Sorry for the long answer but since I enjoy both, I started remembering things that I enjoy about both lines. 

Anyway, back to the OP....

Have you looked at "The Retreat" on Celebrity?

It's basically Celebrity's version of the Haven without calling it a "ship within a ship". It started on EDGE and APEX and is being added to some older ships in the fleet. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My situation is a bit different as a family of 4. I understand that what applies to me may not apply to others. My MSC experience is only with Seaside but I have Meraviglia and Seashore booked. 

On NCL, there are many more options for 4 in the Haven than in the Yacht Club. 

In suite dining is much better on NCL. Any meal from nearly any restaurant can be served in suite or on the balcony with NCL. For MSC, the options are very limited in comparison.

Sorry for the long answer but since I enjoy both, I started remembering things that I enjoy about both lines. 

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long post! I'm sure that the OP appreciate it too.

For us the limited option, especially for families, is a good thing because that means less children in the Yacht Club. I understand why you prefer NCL.

I agree with you about the in suite dining but the quality of what MSC offer is great, especially the pizza.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

In the past, Michael Bayley and Richard Fain stated that RCCL was against the "ship within a ship" concept but there are obviously advantages for those who book the higher-end staterooms on RCCL.

Now RCI also introduces the concept of "ship within a ship" when Spectrum of the Seas is the first ship in fleet to have the entire private deck (just like MSC's Yacht Club and NCL's Haven) for suite-only guests.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:44 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

On NCL, there are many more options for 4 in the Haven than in the Yacht Club. Using Breakaway, Getaway, or Escape, there is the Deluxe Owner's Suite, the Owner's Suite, the 2BR Family Villa, the Forward-Facing Penthouse, and the Aft-Facing Penthouse for 4. On Bliss, Encore, and Joy, the options are mostly the same (no Owner's Suite) but now, Joy has even more (former Concierge Suites turned into Haven Suites). 

On MSC, the choices are much more limited. There are fewer stateroom types to choose from and since parties of 2 and 4 are fighting for the same staterooms, it's harder to get exactly what you want. I was forced to take the Royal Suite on Meraviglia because that was the only stateroom that was available. I booked before the Duplex Suites were converted to Yacht Club and I even considered switching but by that time, the price had risen to the point that it wasn't worth it. Even though neither stateroom has a great balcony view and both have a whirlpool on the balcony, I decided to stay where I was and keep the one bathroom vs. having two in the Duplex. 

I think I prefer the forward facing lounge on Seaside vs the BA Plus ships because you can walk outside from the lounge on Seaside.

For forward-facing sundeck, some of NCL's (BA/GA/Escape) are rather small for the Haven. On some ships, the entire forward-facing sundeck is Haven and NCL might expand the Haven sundeck in some cases but on Getaway (for ex.) they kept the small Haven sundeck and expanded VIBE's area to include the larger front-facing area and port side in addition to the starboard side that it already had. Personally, I would have expanded the Haven sundeck to include the front section while giving the port side to VIBE (the way that Encore is). Even better would be to split the Haven sundeck into all ages on one side and adult-only on the other side. No real complaints about MSC's sundeck. Some people don't like the lack of shade but it's not a problem for us. The food and drink options by the pool are easily better than NCL. 

I think that NCL concierges have more "power" to get things done vs MSC concierges.. On the flip-side, MSC's butler service is much better than NCL's. I've never had a bad butler but I read more complaints about NCL butlers than MSC butlers. Maybe I've just been lucky with both. 

Have you looked at "The Retreat" on Celebrity?

It's basically Celebrity's version of the Haven without calling it a "ship within a ship". It started on EDGE and APEX and is being added to some older ships in the fleet. 

Celebrity is a step up from both MSC and NCL, in most all ways...especially adults.  I have sailed all 3. 

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Celebrity is a step up from both MSC and NCL, in most all ways...especially adults.  I have sailed all 3. 

Any chance you have time to give a contrast and compare as to why you feel this?  I am interested in opinions on the retreat and would love to hear details that lead you to what you just said here.

Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have my first Celebrity suite coming up (hopefully!) in March 2022.  My understanding is that it is not a ship-within-a-ship type setup.  Suites seem to be located all over the ship, and the dedicated bar/restaurant are at set places in the ship, but not within a separate enclave.  I'm game to try and looking forward to a different experience than NCL or MSC.  Not that I don't like those, just that I'm okay with trying something new.  My only suite experience on RCCL was on Majesty OTS, and those here on CC told me it was not comparable to other ships of the line.  That's good, because while it was a beautiful suite, the experience was nothing special.  Our Princess suite was so disappointing that DH says he will not sail them again!