Revenge for the $18 drink package?

BillOh

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

This RCI $33,000 shore excursion more than made up for any $18 mistakes -- what a way to recoup, and then some! 🤣

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 8.06.13 PM.png

Factor in the losses when they cancelled that route the following season

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Celebrity used to give the classic alcohol beverage package complimentary with an Ocean view cabin (or above)

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

Ocean view?  When was that?

3 hours ago, drsel said:

At least up to 2018

I believe that @drsel is in the UK.

It’s Now included with all stateroom categories on Celebrity

But now the prices are really high, in order to accommodate all four perks.

I remember a last minute deal--- paying only $902 for 2 adults in an Ocean view, for a 9 night Celebrity Constellation Cruise with 300 OBC per cabin

Now all 4 perks are given to all cabins, with the prices adjusted upwards accordingly.
Quite a substantial increase.

Earlier upto 2018 you could choose any one perk for an Ocean view cabin and above.
But the prices were not increased to accommodate this free perk.

They will keep the shore excursion prices substantially higher than before, because anyone on a cruise will be forced to take the ship sponsored shore excursions.

Else they cannot leave the ship at any port

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

They will keep the shore excursion prices substantially higher than before, because anyone on a cruise will be forced to take the ship sponsored shore excursions.

Else they cannot leave the ship at any port

They have to weigh the required / increased price excursions revenue vs losing customers loss of revenue.  Not easy for the bean counters. 

On a ship like MSc grandiosa at least 2,000 of the 2500 passengers would possibly pay for the shore excursions.
With so much of demand, they could easily price them higher.

They have to make up for all the losses since March.

8 hours ago, yogimax said:

Ocean view?  When was that?

Celebrity started it in 2013 when it was actually free on my cruise. They got everyone sucked in and slowly raised the price of the cruise to include the free package. They also offered extra perks to book certain categories like Concierge class that probably was a slow seller as people realized that they were paying extra for nothing, especially after they removed the foot stools.  Celebrity has out priced themselves for me to consider them anymore.

Edited by Iamcruzin

30 minutes ago, drsel said:

Huge losses through no fault of theirs

That's the sad part of this entire pandemic especially the national job losses. I was losing my job anyway as we entered bankruptcy 2 weeks before the shelter in place started. I was fortunate that the pandemic prolonged it allowing me to recover from hip replacement while collecting unemployment/stimulus until my job reopened in June. This is my last week working for that company and luckily I was able to find a new job. Hopefully cruising will be back to normal by the time I earn vacation time again.

• Like 1