Cruise Refund - Celebrity

Like to know if there are people in my position who are still waiting on cruise refund.  I cancelled on 15 March 2020 for a cruise departing 2 May 2020 due to COVID-19 and travel restrictions imposed by our government.  At the time of cancelling I was informed by my Travel Agent (TA) that Celebrity was offering 2 options.  A full future credit OR 75% refund and a 25% future credit.  We went with the 75/25 % option.  It is now more than 6 months and we have not received any refund.  On enquiring with my Travel Agent I was informed today that Celebrity have since revoked their decision and are now only giving 100% future cruise credit and NO CASH REFUND.  I believe this is monstrous and not right.  My agent is trying to get in touch with them and I tried to contact Celebrity but was informed that I need to go via my TA.  I am not getting anywhere with this and it is a lot of money.   Many thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

I just looked at Celebrity's website and they are still offering refunds. Do you trust your TA? Contact celebrity for clarification about this again perhaps? And I just want to add the refunds are 100% cash or 125% FCC. Do you think that is what originally was offered?

Edited by christodan

Sounds like a matter for Dept of Fair Trading if Celebrity have renigged on their deal. I doubt whether Celebrity Office will talk to the OP,  requesting you contact your TA . Six months wait is unacceptable. Good luck and welcome to CC, Neat2019 as I note your post no.2 on the mighty Cruise Critic.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I doubt whether Celebrity Office will talk to the OP,  requesting you contact your TA

I think if you say you want clarification of Celebrity's refund and FFC terms as you are not confident you have been given the correct information, I am sure they could answer those simple questions.

3 minutes ago, christodan said:

I think if you say you want clarification of Celebrity's refund and FFC terms as you are not confident you have been given the correct information, I am sure they could answer those simple questions.

Yes, some clarification of policy should be given by Celebrity. Maybe it is a dodgy TA.

Your TA wouldn’t be an Oz cruise company by any chance?

I have been chasing a refund since March. Cunard claim to have paid the money in June.

I have raised a credit card dispute which is dragging out.

Good luck and persevere.

22 minutes ago, christodan said:

Yes, some clarification of policy should be given by Celebrity. Maybe it is a dodgy TA.

1 hour ago, Neat2019 said:

Like to know if there are people in my position who are still waiting on cruise refund.  I cancelled on 15 March 2020 for a cruise departing 2 May 2020 due to COVID-19 and travel restrictions imposed by our government.  At the time of cancelling I was informed by my Travel Agent (TA) that Celebrity was offering 2 options.  A full future credit OR 75% refund and a 25% future credit.  We went with the 75/25 % option.  It is now more than 6 months and we have not received any refund.  On enquiring with my Travel Agent I was informed today that Celebrity have since revoked their decision and are now only giving 100% future cruise credit and NO CASH REFUND.  I believe this is monstrous and not right.  My agent is trying to get in touch with them and I tried to contact Celebrity but was informed that I need to go via my TA.  I am not getting anywhere with this and it is a lot of money.   Many thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Trust me, there are a lot of people who have their refunds still pending. If you didnt get it in 120 days, I would threaten them with the lawyer. I mean they had to at least give some options if they are not going to refund you. Cash refunds are impossible unless you paid with cash originally.. some silly bank rule which I have no idea how to overcome 

• Like 1

Looking at Celebrity Cruises section of CC a lot of frustration and anger re no refunds, 6 month waits etc, not just Aussies and Kiwis either, many North Americans impacted.

Edited by NSWP

How did you pay for your cruise?  If by credit card, contact your credit card company for them to reverse the charge.  What were the original t & c?  Celebrity can't change t&c later.  Contact the Office of Fair Trading asap. 

Thanks all (@Chisodon, @NSWP, @Bowm54, @Roger88) for your quick responses.  I will be contacting my Travel Agent again letting them know that I sought guidance on Cruise Critic and their (TA) advice  contradicts what has been stated on Celebrity's  website.  Incidently, it is a reputable and large TA that I used in Melbourne.  
I could not see a phone number for Australia and New Zealand on Celebrity's website, just the global number.  Will try again to source this.  

Thanks once again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neat2019 said:

Thanks all (@Chisodon, @NSWP, @Bowm54, @Roger88) for your quick responses.  I will be contacting my Travel Agent again letting them know that I sought guidance on Cruise Critic and their (TA) advice  contradicts what has been stated on Celebrity's  website.  Incidently, it is a reputable and large TA that I used in Melbourne.  
I could not see a phone number for Australia and New Zealand on Celebrity's website, just the global number.  Will try again to source this.  

Thanks once again.

You are most welcome, good luck with it all.

43 minutes ago, christodan said:

That number on the website 1 800 754-500 is probably the right number. I have never dealt with Celebrity, only RCI and Princess but I know that sometimes you're talking to someone in the US, sometimes it's Australia, depending on the time of day. So the global number is the right one. 

Although it is worth a try, from experience Celebrity calls are mostly handled by people in Guatemala (or similar). Don't think I have spoken to anyone in Australia for a couple of years and don't think I ever got through to US for Celebrity (unlike Princess)

I was just thinking about my mother-in-law who cancelled a cruise before any penalties would apply. (This was before COVID). Anyway, the TA tried to keep hundreds of $$ and blamed the cruise company. After she called the cruise company and it was confirmed that she should have been given full refund, the TA gave it to her and said the other person in the office 'made a mistake' about keeping the money. I hate to say it but I think if they think they can get away with it they will try. My MIL probably comes across as  bit trusting and naive and being older they probably thought she was an easy target.

3 hours ago, Neat2019 said:

I could not see a phone number for Australia and New Zealand on Celebrity's website, just the global number.  Will try again to source this

This is where Australians can call, email or write snail mail to Celebrity.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/au/company/customer-support/contact-us

• Australia Phone:1800 754 500
  • New Zealand Phone:0800 102 123
  • Email Address-Pre-departure:cruiseadmin.au@rcclapac.com
  • Mailing Address:Level 12, 157 Walker Street, North Sydney, NSW, 2060
  • Email Address-Post-Departure:celebritycustomerserviceau@rcclapac.com

2 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Although it is worth a try, from experience Celebrity calls are mostly handled by people in Guatemala (or similar). Don't think I have spoken to anyone in Australia for a couple of years and don't think I ever got through to US for Celebrity (unlike Princess)

Interesting, I just realized that that is the same as the RCI number. Maybe if you choose the Celebrity extension you get a different country, but  I have always got Americans when I rang  RCI.

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Trust me, there are a lot of people who have their refunds still pending. If you didnt get it in 120 days, I would threaten them with the lawyer. I mean they had to at least give some options if they are not going to refund you. Cash refunds are impossible unless you paid with cash originally.. some silly bank rule which I have no idea how to overcome 

I think people would be happy with a refund to their credit card. By saying "cash refund" I don't think they mean folding-money in this day and age.🙂

10 minutes ago, christodan said:

Yes the rule is you get a refund back in how you paid, so that if you paid for something in $$ you don't get a refund in say chickens or cows. We're not bartering anymore. 

Agreed. I posted my comment about refunds to credit card, not 'folding cash' because I believe a previous poster (Roger 88) misunderstood 'Neat 2019s' comment when he/she complained that Celebrity was no longer giving a cash refund. I don't think Neat 2019 was expecting folding cash but their complaint was that the refund now offered in only a future cruise credit. I dare say they would accept a money refund in any form (credit card, bank transfer or cheque).

Thank you all once again for your comments, advice and helpful suggestions.  I have taken it on board.  To clarify.....when I mentioned cash refund, I actually meant refund by either credit card of bank transfer.  Sorry about that!  

2 hours ago, Neat2019 said:

Thank you all once again for your comments, advice and helpful suggestions.  I have taken it on board.  To clarify.....when I mentioned cash refund, I actually meant refund by either credit card of bank transfer.  Sorry about that!  

Neat2019 

The way it works is your agent owns the booking and Celebrity may not want to deal with you .
‘Celebrity operates out of Royal Caribbean’s office in north Sydney and they aren’t good to deal with in the first place.Plus I think they have cut back on staff and calls are directed overseas. 
I would suggest the Celebrity forum and ask advice .

We aren’t allowed to name agents but it would good if you could give a hint who it was.

Edited by Chiliburn

There may be some confusion here.  We need to understand if the OP was on a cruise which was suspended by Celebrity or if they chose to cancel prior to Celebrity suspending their cruise.

The situation described by OP sound like what happened when they originally introduced the Cruise With Confidence program which allows you to cancel up to 48 hrs prior to sailing.  When this was first introduced AND if you were in the penalty period after final payment they offered a combination of refund and FCC.  They would refund the part of the fare not in penalty and FCC for the penalty amount.   So if you were in the 75% penalty period they would give you 25% refund and 75% as FCC.  

After a short period of time they changed this policy to 100% FCC.   If you wanted a partial refund you could choose the original terms and get the partial refund and forfeit the penalty amount.

The above is what I've read about cc member @hcat experience in the US.  Australia policies could be different.

This sounds similar to what the OP is reporting but if they cancelled in that initial period my opinion is they should be eligible for the terms at the time regardless of when the policy was changed.