US cruising in early January (speculation)

bigrednole

46 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Not true.  April thru June was bad in UK for ‘summer flu’.  July and August flu deaths were much less than CV-19 deaths.  And since this has nothing to do with the topic, these posts will soon be deleted.

The actual phrase is 'pneumonia and flu' but newspapers use flu as the shortened explanation. So, it is true

Good of you to say you are the thread police though

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Pray for the health of the children, teachers, their families and all those with whom they come in contact!

In our state many private schools are open too.

With public it depends. Some are on hybrid system (in person + online) , some are online. I feel it is a matter of teachers' unions. None of summer camps caused increases in cases (I am not even talking about all protests...).

57 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Will they release competing vaccines in the US, and can you get the version you want?

This is a good question - I believe the NIH / FDA / CDC is backing the Moderna & AstraZenica vaccines for initial deployment in the United States.  I received my waiver/paperwork this morning for the Phase3 AstraZenica trials this morning - still digesting that..

Mass distribution of these things is going to be challenging because of one MAJOR hurdle - they have to be stored at extremely cold temperatures.  Now, one of them is less sensitive and doesn't have to be stored in the freezing cold like the other (forget which one) but this is going to be a challenge.  If you can imagine WHEN they start the mass vaccinations it would potentially look similar to a drive in COVID testing site - but for receiving vaccinations.  The challenge they face is keeping the vaccine cold enough up until giving to patients.  Power generation, freezers, dry ice etc.  It will be wild to see what they come up with! 

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Pray for the health of the children, teachers, their families and all those with whom they come in contact!

Positive vibes for all involved individuals.  Love the data coming out of colleges - pretty decent amount of positive tests (surprise surprise) with ZERO hospitalizations across the schools reporting.   

Science and God don't really go hand in hand - so i'll just have positive thoughts how about that?  

77F5A37B-68B5-45C1-A80D-9421B9004D5B.thumb.jpeg.3e414853ea1209e0b8d8754ff88b322a.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tatka said:

In our state many private schools are open too.

With public it depends. Some are on hybrid system (in person + online) , some are online. I feel it is a matter of teachers' unions. None of summer camps caused increases in cases (I am not even talking about all protests...).

Sadly not true.  This is one of many examples... 

"A Christian camp in Missouri has been forced to shut down after dozens of staff, campers and counselors tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe, just north of the border with Arkansas, closed after 41 people became infected with the coronavirus, the Stone County Health Department announced last week."

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Sadly not true.  This is one of many examples... 

"A Christian camp in Missouri has been forced to shut down after dozens of staff, campers and counselors tested positive for the coronavirus.

The Kanakuk K-2 camp in Lampe, just north of the border with Arkansas, closed after 41 people became infected with the coronavirus, the Stone County Health Department announced last week."

I am talking about Massachusetts/New England  and results.

It definitely depends on all measures taken and stage of pandemics.

In MA we take it seriously virtually everyone wears masks in public and especially in enclosed spaces. (we have a law from May 6th about face coverings). I heard that in Mid-West it is not like that.

I believe college kids in some of Boston universities are suspended without refunds for attempts to host parties.

Edited by Tatka

3 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Science and God don't really go hand in hand - so i'll just have positive thoughts how about that?  

That's fine.  You are certainly entitled to your beliefs.  Just know that there are many others who disagree, but there's no need to go there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I am talking about Massachusetts/New England  and results.

It definitely depends on all measures taken and stage of pandemics.

In MA we take it seriously virtually everyone wears masks in public and especially in enclosed spaces. (we have a law from May 6th about face coverings). I heard that in Mid-West it is not like that.

I believe college kids in some of Boston universities are suspended without refunds for attempts to host parties.

Northeastern Univ in Boston EXPELLED 11 students without refunds for "gathering in a dorm room" according to an article I read. 

Edited by MiniChunks
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MiniChunks said:

Northeastern Univ in Boston EXPELLED 11 students without refunds for "gathering in a dorm room" according to an article I read. 

Yes. Sounds scary, but I feel it was a necessary measure.. otherwise cases would rise and all colleges (we have 100s of them) will be forced to close.

They KNEW rules and even signed papers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Yes. Sounds scary, but I feel it was a necessary measure.. otherwise cases would rise and all colleges (we have 100s of them) will be forced to close.

They KNEW rules and even signed papers.

I have no issue with this. Perhaps a lack of refund is a bit extreme, but I have no problem with the Universities setting a zero tolerance precedent regarding large gatherings. Having school aged kids myself, I appreciate how difficult it is going to be keeping in person instruction going. My kids just went back to school for the first time today since March 13. We've done so well in New England keeping COVID numbers low, it would be a shame to have to shut everything down again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Because several companies compete.. As they are still going through trials it is not 100% know which one is works better. None is approved yet.

But will they approve more than 1?

It seems they are all manufacturing the vaccine

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It depends of course on results of trials.

I was also surprised that each company started to produce vaccines right away and will have millions of them. However it was explained to me that it is always a gamble. To have enough vaccines on time they must be produced.. and production itself is not that expensive in comparison to R&D.. and trials, so they gamble.

If more than one is approved it is good as we will have more vaccines available.

Edited by Tatka
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Positive vibes for all involved individuals.  Love the data coming out of colleges - pretty decent amount of positive tests (surprise surprise) with ZERO hospitalizations across the schools reporting.   

77F5A37B-68B5-45C1-A80D-9421B9004D5B.thumb.jpeg.3e414853ea1209e0b8d8754ff88b322a.jpeg

When was that table published?  

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

From what I have read, they will need more than one source to produce all the vaccine that will be required.

Are you old enough to remember the polio vaccines... Salk and Sabin?

12 minutes ago, Pratique said:

As of Sep. 3 there were over 51,000 cases and at least 60 deaths at over 1,000 colleges.

I also read the NYT Pratique.  Case #'s shouldn't surprise any of us (with a functioning Cerebrum) 

51,000 since the pandemic began

I guess I should have specified the tracking system I follow started in August.

60 deaths "linked" to college campus's - wish our NYT "journalists" would elaborate for us instead of us having to use our imagination.  

17 minutes ago, Pratique said:

As of Sep. 3 there were over 51,000 cases and at least 60 deaths at over 1,000 colleges.

That's like 1/10th of 1% death rate.  

If 60 deaths are linked to the 51,000 cases on campuses, that means it's even lower.

Edited by BND

2 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

60 deaths "linked" to college campus's - wish our NYT "journalists" would elaborate for us instead of us having to use our imagination.  

What difference does it make? Your chart is useless with only 17 schools on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

What difference does it make? Your chart is useless with only 17 schools on it.

Sorry, smaller sample size.  Guess I figured we'd see more carnage based on the stuff you believe - even with the smaller data I have provided.  I'm going to keep reading the NYT though. 

10 minutes ago, BND said:

That's like 1/10th of 1% death rate.  

If 60 deaths are linked to the 51,000 cases on campuses, that means it's even lower.

That's because the 60 deaths probably aren't college kids, and are probably over the age of 65 - more likely over the age of 80 though.  Maybe someone  went to a college campus restaurant and got the virus and took it to the nursing home they work at?  But again, the NYT doesn't do deep reporting/investigating - they just like dire headlines for Pratique to spew to us.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMastodon said:

That's because the 60 deaths probably aren't college kids, and are probably over the age of 65 - more likely over the age of 80 though.  Maybe someone  went to a college campus restaurant and got the virus and took it to the nursing home they work at?  But again, the NYT doesn't do deep reporting/investigating - they just like dire headlines for Pratique to spew to us.  

That was my point about the rate on campus actually being lower than the 1/10 of 1%.  That's a large enough sample to show that age plays a huge role.  I've posted it before, but in my county the over 80 age  group has the vast majority of deaths and all were of people in long term care facilities.  The death rate under 80 is a lot lower.  

3 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Don't make this personal about me. The NYT was clear that there is no standard for reporting these numbers. Every school does it differently. You try to do it better?

And by the way, what do you think the average age of the faculty is? I'm over 50 and I'm teaching in person. Also, most schools just restarted in the past week or two. It took a week for UNH to report 11 cases traced to a frat party. In the meantime those students were going to class before their test results came back. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

• Like 1