US cruising in early January (speculation)

bigrednole

11 hours ago, fla gang said:

Since we are speculating about everything cruises I say no cruises until summer2021

Slowly but surely we need to realize that a reliable vaccination / medication will not be here very shortly and also once it comes the virus will likely not disapear from one day to the other. Hence, in order to move on with our daily lives with as few restrictions as possible, ways need to be found how this can be done. Also the cruise industry will need to start up again with a concept as safe as possible, however the risk to get infected or even have a larger outbreak cannot be completely mitigated, however as long as the risk will not be higher than on land I don't see why cruising cannot commence given that numbers of cases have declined to a certain level, such as max 10 new cases a day per 100'000 people etc. Of course, precaucious measures would still be needed, such as a negative COVID test etc.

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Why not the Military? 😇

We wear our masks but I don’t think a mask requirement  is enforceable or Constitutional. 

M8

Seat belt laws, sobriety checkpoints, and other public safety laws are usually constitutional if they advance a legitimate state interest with a minimal intrusion of individual liberty. A lot of laws, like speed limits and jaywalking, are very difficult to enforce but they are still the law. My city just enacted a mask ordinance but the penalty is only $15. The point is not to force compliance through punitive measures. Rather, the intent is to encourage everyone to do the right thing because just asking nicely wasn't getting the job done.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Pratique said:

My city just enacted a mask ordinance but the penalty is only $15. 

That wouldn't work here.  The first and second offenses are a $100 fine, the third is $500 and any additional offenses comes with an arrest/notice to appear.  Businesses start at $500.  Miami-Dade mayor just announced that bars and nightclubs can not reopen until there's a vaccine.  There is still a curfew.  Already the county has fined and shut down around 150 businesses and the City of Miami Beach has collected more than $14,000 in fines.  Asking politely doesn't work here so they've had to crack down on the violators. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Seat belt laws, sobriety checkpoints, and other public safety laws are usually constitutional if they advance a legitimate state interest with a minimal intrusion of individual liberty. A lot of laws, like speed limits and jaywalking, are very difficult to enforce but they are still the law. My city just enacted a mask ordinance but the penalty is only $15. The point is not to force compliance through punitive measures. Rather, the intent is to encourage everyone to do the right thing because just asking nicely wasn't getting the job done.

No Smoking laws are another example. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

It’s against the “law” to drive under the influence. It’s against the law to speed. What law requires mask wearing?

We wear our mask when indoors or social distancing not applicable. 

Who do you suggest enforce any mask requirements?  It’s a joke if you really believe LEO is going to do it.

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s against the “law” to drive over under the influence. It’s against the law to speed. What law requires mask wearing?

We wear our mask when indoors or social distancing not applicable. 

Who do you suggest enforce any mask requirements?  It’s a joke if you really believe LEO is going to do it.

M8

Sounds like Miami Beach is doing it.

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No Smoking laws are another example. 

Yes, and there are many more. The only way to answer the constitutionality question is to run it through the courts. I'm sure that will happen sooner or later somewhere.

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think all smoking indoors should be banned. I believe that’s a law.  I have no clue who enforces the ban. I can’t believe anyone today would think the police are going to enforce any trivial thing as mask requirements. 

M8

Sure they are. My wife works at a supermarket and the cops have shown up many times for this.

Just now, Pratique said:

Sure they are. My wife works at a supermarket and the cops have shown up many times for this.

I think the police have better things to do than write citations for masks.  Honestly, I don’t see many people not wearing masks in southern Ohio.  But, we are the greatest state/citizens in this country so that shouldn’t be a surprise.  

Why does it even matter?  Hamilton/Warren county (My area) health dept doesn’t even recommend getting tested If your exposure to a covid zombie was less than 15 minutes.   If you walk by someone who doesn’t have a mask on you will be OK!

N95s are readily available online right now BTW.

2 minutes ago, Oxo said:

MadMax is now here

Forget the laws, go back to the 'ole' West. We don't need laws bc we can't enforce them. LOL 

WHY work,  pay taxes?

Wednesday Thursday Friday 

Is next?

There was a couple, one was a dentist, here in NH who refused to pay taxes. They holed up with guns when the feds came to take them away. They served their time and are getting out. They say they will still refuse to pay their taxes. It can be done.

1 minute ago, TheMastodon said:

I think the police have better things to do than write citations for masks.

Of course they do. It's a stupid waste of their time. But every once in a while someone comes into the store, challenges the rules, refuses to leave, and raises a stink, so the cops have to be called. Rules are rules. Don't like 'em, then leave.

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think all smoking indoors should be banned. I believe that’s a law.  I have no clue who enforces the ban. I can’t believe anyone today would think the police are going to enforce any trivial thing as mask requirements. 

M8

I was more addressing your comment that you don't think a mask requirement is constitutional.  I wasn't really talking about enforcement.

17 minutes ago, Oxo said:

MadMax is now here

Forget the laws, go back to the 'ole' West. We don't need laws bc we can't enforce them. LOL 

WHY work,  pay taxes?

Wednesday Thursday Friday 

Is next?

Hey that seems to be an agenda. Let’s blast Law Enforcement but require them to police mask. If you are in some of these cities, you call 911. 

M8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LXA350 said:

The government should implement strickt rules and whoever does not wear a mask in places where required a fine of USD 1'000 should apply with very frequent controls.

Here in NY every retailer and every restaurant enforce the mask rule. Some establishments will provide a mask if someone doesn't have one. Those who refuse are asked to leave if they don't comply. If they refuse to leave the store or restaurant the police are called. There are no constitutional rights at a private business. They have the right to walk around outside speaking freely, forming peaceful assemblies while bearing arms without wearing a mask if they like. NO Shirt, NO Shoes, No Mask, NO Service. Any retail or restaurant business who do not enforce this, especially in areas that still have a high rate of cases are not protecting their associates. 

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

That's been banned in NY for years now. Basically you can only smoke outside.  They did away with smoking sections in restaurants and you can't smoke in a bar or any other indoor public place. Actually  I don't think you can smoke in some parks anymore either.