US cruising in early January (speculation)

bigrednole

40 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Pratique in French means Convenient Hahahaha I always thought he just likes French culture or something

LOL I think that one is lost in translation. More likely it means something like "accessible" as in "we are accessible (not contagious)." Maybe someone else knows.

12 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I've been curious about this because I see it flying on the ship whenever we arrive in port.

When we would take the boat from Florida to the Bahamas, we would fly the Quarantine (Yellow Flag) when entering a port. It would fly until we were cleared by customs. Upon returning, all the same. Typically, all remain onboard, except for the Master who would take all the Credentials to Customs for clearance. Returning to ones home port in US, typically we were cleared over landline. Occasionally, customs would request all onboard to remain and they would board the vessel and clear us.  Things may have changed since 2006. 

M8

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

When we would take the boat from Florida to the Bahamas, we would fly the Quarantine (Yellow Flag) when entering a port. It would fly until we were cleared by customs. Upon returning, all the same. Typically, all remain onboard, except for the Master who would take all the Credentials to Customs for clearance. Returning to ones home port in US, typically we were cleared over landline. Occasionally, customs would request all onboard to remain and they would board the vessel and clear us.  Things may have changed since 2006. 

M8

That makes sense. The cruise ship flies the flag until it is cleared. The flag usually means the ship is healthy and the master is requesting clearance, but it also means the ship is not yet cleared.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

fantastic news

bad news for those rooting for Covid

So, I've volunteered for the Russian vaccine trials for Covid-19...one of the first groups here.

I received my first shot this morning and wanted to let you know that it’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

Just a joke of course......

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Back on in the U.K. only; still on hold in all other countries. 

The only other countries currently testing that particular one are Brazil and South Africa.  They're currently recruiting in the US, but haven't started trials yet.   

Pfizer is already in Phase 3 trials in the US and plans to increase from 30,000 participants to 44,000 participants. They expect they should have a report on efficacy by the end of October.  They have already started producing the vaccine and have done so without government money.

My money is on Pfizer

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Virus goin to virus.  Curious are you retired ?

No, I wish. Hopefully in 5 years I will be. I have been working among the general public since mid June. Everyone is complying. Every once in a while I have to remind someone to put the mask over their nose. With the exception of mask wearing my life has pretty much returned to normal.  DW is working in Manhattan 3 days a week and two days at home.  She hated commuting before all of this. Now she just needs to get out of the house. It was too much work to work from home. She couldn't separate work and home life.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Pfizer is already in Phase 3 trials in the US and plans to increase from 30,000 participants to 44,000 participants. They expect they should have a report on efficacy by the end of October.  They have already started producing the vaccine and have done so without government money.

My money is on Pfizer

(Reuters) - The U.S. government will pay nearly $2 billion to buy enough of a COVID-19 vaccine being developed by Pfizer Inc PFE.N and German biotech BioNTech SE 22UAy

44 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And? As I stated the trial is still on hold in all

countries other than the U.K. 

It's not on hold in the US... It hasn't started in the US yet. They are still recruiting for their stage 3 trial.  That work continues.

Pfizer is in stage three trials in the US with 30,000 participants. Soon, with FDA approval, that will increase to 44,000. Pfizer trial will be concluded before Halloween.  Moderna is 71% of their recruitment goal for their stage 3 trial.  The only reason they didn't hit 100% yet is because they slowed recruitment  to increase the diversity quotient. 

6 hours ago, BND said:

All countries make it sound like a lot of places.  I just posted a fact. 

Many countries seem to make unrealistic hopes that a vacination will come out very soon, but something really effective will likely still take at least a year if not longer.

4 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Many countries seem to make unrealistic hopes that a vacination will come out very soon, but something really effective will likely still take at least a year if not longer.

Okay, but my post wasn't about that at all. 

Edited by BND

On 9/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

So, I've volunteered for the Russian vaccine trials for Covid-19...one of the first groups here.

I received my first shot this morning and wanted to let you know that it’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

Thanks for the laugh  🙂

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

With the federal government funding a large portion o these vaccine developments under the project name "operation warp speed"; the feds will make the distribution schedule, not states (at least in the early phases of distribution).  HHS is still compiling recommendations for the distribution plans.

The CDC playbook was released today and it appears that they are deferring to the states to make their own distribution schedules. The playbook provides guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/downloads/COVID-19-Vaccination-Program-Interim_Playbook.pdf

"The federal government will determine the amount of COVID-19 vaccine designated for each jurisdiction. The jurisdiction’s immunization program will then be responsible for managing and approving orders from enrolled providers within their jurisdiction using this allotment."

Edited by Pratique

On 9/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

I've seen this before and thought that the cyrillic characters were just nonsense letters/words.  For kicks, I posted "χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши" into Google Translate and the translation is "I feel a little strange and I think I pulled out donkey ears". 😁

• Haha 1