The Daily for Monday Sep 7, 2020

richwmn

today is Labor Day, National Salami Day, Neither Rain nor Snow Day, and National Beer Lover's Day

$100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000, at which time it will be worth absolutely nothing.
        -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love" (Robert Heinlein)

Meal suggestion for today - Zucchini & Cheese Roulades

Drink of the Day - Hurricane

Wine of the day - di Meo Greco di Tufo G vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/14
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/8
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9

At Sea Gulf of Aden
Noordam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
Zuiderdam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Rosyth GB
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Aigio Greece
Maasdam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MYTH

Katakolo
Veendam -- Ship name as reported by AIS: AEGEAN MAJESTY

0907World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thank you for the Daily Report.  Love it.

We had a storm roll through early this morning.  Lots of thunder, lightning, wind and rain. 

No Labour Day parade in town this year.

It may be Beer Lovers Day, but I'll still have wine.  Sorry.

Have a wonderful day, stay safe.

• Like 7

Thank you for the Daily.  Those of us in North America are just about 4 months away from the rest of the world in celebrating Labor.  Cheers to Salami, postal workers, and beer lovers.  That's a thought provoking quote.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Recovery from Laura and Marco

Those dealing with wildfires

Rain and relief for much of the southwest

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

The Bird in Hand fire chief and son Jason

A safe Memorial Day

The Annapolis newspaper

RIP Lou Brock

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front line health workers

Cruising-along’s road trip

Getaway for Denise and David

Labor Day

Progress on wildfires

Belated Happy Anniversary to StLouisCruisers

The Methodist Bishop in Florida who joined his staff to do an online service and give the pastors a weekend off

And memories of Antarctica

Roy

PS: That Creek fire is REALLY scary

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Lmao Coronavirus funny | /r/ComedyCemetery | Comedy Cemetery | Know Your  Meme

Salami? - Cheezburger - Funny Memes | Funny Pictures

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Beer AND salami day? This will make someone very happy.

I don't think I will eat anything today. I served brunch early yesterday, then we had dinner at Luigi's and I ate my entire dinner: lamb shank, mashed potatoes and a caprese salad. Zucchini is not a favorite of mine. When we lived in Montana, if you didn't roll up your windows while in church, you'd come out and find a bag of zucchini sitting in your car! 

Good morning sweet sisters and Daily-ites. Denise will have a lot of reading material when she gets home! @kazu Jacqui I hope to see a few garden pictures this morning. Your flowers are beautiful!

Thanks Roy for the care list. I believe we will toast tonight to all who labor. 

Yesterday friends came by after dinner and we sat on the patio watching 8 hummingbirds at our feeders! So fun.

Take care, be safe, wear your mask. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Labour Day - for so long, we looked forward to this weekend as an extra day off from work; now that we're retired, every weekend is a long weekend!  We are grateful to all those who still maintain the work force. 

There are so many things to celebrate today; salami, the weather, and beer . . . what a great combination!  I do have to tell you though, that we're expecting an "Alberta Clipper" to flow through here beginning this afternoon, dropping our temperatures well below freezing.  Tonight's low is predicted to be -4C (24.5F)  We've already brought a number of our flowering annuals into our glassed-in deck for safekeeping; it looks like a florist's shop!  Ah, the joys of living on the "frozen tundra"! LOL

Since the weather's heading to the lower part of the thermometer, I'm bringing up a chicken carcass from the freezer and will make soup - to which I'm adding a bunch of shredded zucchini, and will serve it with some crusty buns for dinner tonight.  And wine.  Although having a Hurricane doesn't sound like such a bad idea either . . . .  

Prayers for all those who need them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers and raised glasses to everyone on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 8

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich & Ron! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! 

Quite an eclectic mix of days today. I believe I saw a Fat Tire hiding in the back of my fridge, so I will celebrate Beer Lovers Day! Though I usually sip on wine. 
Lol on the quote. Interesting meal. Need to look for recipes.

@puppycanducruise, we had an early morning storm here, too. Luckily by the time Bindi & I headed out, it was just a gentle rain.

Prayers to all who need our support.

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

A belated 90th birthday to @Sharon in AZ’s Mom! She really does not look 90! I hope I look that great & happy, if I make it there!

Stay well everyone!

Today’s Italian wine has a Very nice rating. Prices range between $15 & $25. Sounds like a great wine with a summer meal, or even just sipping in the evening. We will need to sip this one quickly!😱

#94 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Light straw yellow. Ample and intense aromas, with hints of peach and almond. This wine is fresh and harmonious. 

Pair with grilled fish, shellfish, poultry or cold dishes.

WS90
Wine Spectator
Tarragon and thyme notes lace flavors of green melon and lime granita in this juicy, light- to medium-bodied white. Fresh, balanced and minerally, with a spiced finish. Drink now through 2020.
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

G  I do have to tell you though, that we're expecting an "Alberta Clipper" to flow through here beginning this afternoon, dropping our temperatures well below freezing.  Tonight's low is predicted to be -4C (24.5F)  We've already brought a number of our flowering annuals into our glassed-in deck for safekeeping; it looks like a florist's shop!  Ah, the joys of living on the "frozen tundra"! LOL

Gerry

I believe my temps reached 25 one winter night a year or so ago, and we had to cover vulnerable trees and bushes. It was a very interesting landscape.  

Stay warm. Your soup sounds nummy!

• Like 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy Labour Day everyone!  So grateful for those that do labour in these difficult times for us.

Love the quote!

@ger_77 yikes on your Alberta weather.  I feel for you 😢 

@Seasick Sailor your wish is my command.

Remember the Britt Marie Crawford?  It’s now in full bloom:

F4685EC3-09EC-45D3-9B0B-63E040CF61D2.thumb.jpeg.15b44aa59485c4de4a72b33694dc9eeb.jpeg

It is a really tall plant

3CD0BB30-EFA5-4A26-BD63-38D16BB10DDC.thumb.jpeg.bebe56f3c4af297e47f67d55c81a50e8.jpeg

Just a happy geranium or two:

EE3679DF-63A0-41EB-A0C8-F681F5D48962.thumb.jpeg.608d844baf6d6679e75c7c0be153483f.jpeg

A91C307C-C63E-4678-82DA-3E078B5F2026.thumb.jpeg.da275c6aa244ba8a583794ac76b11ba3.jpeg

and my little Malaga pot’s begonia has certainly taken off:

B19E7214-1B4B-41EE-BF5B-66432EE871D5.thumb.jpeg.4fdb2408eb5ce27893861778f75541e2.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to all of those being celebrated.

Have a great Monday & Labour Day everyone and stay safe.

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks to everyone who continue to make and keep this thread alive and welcoming.  An ice cold beer and Salemi, yum!  It is raining here, not a nice day, so it's a good thing there is no paper or mail delivery.  I am sure you will know where these pictures were taken!

8D6B5419-3050-4670-90B0-5211D6C2CC3A.jpeg

AD86C0F2-FF87-482C-8E84-370C803D79CC.jpeg

DD9E4548-6F63-42C1-8788-D550DE609AB1.jpeg

• Like 12

Good morning Rich, Roy, and daily-ites.  Salami and Beer would make DH very happy.

Hurricane Drink:

• 2 ounces light rum
  • 2 ounces dark rum
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1 ounce fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 ounce passion fruit purée
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 barspoon grenadine
  • Garnish: orange wheel
  • Garnish: preserved cherry
Everyone have a great Labor Day, just a great Monday.  Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Wonder why they would be going there.  Seems like an odd destination.

Yep, no HAL cruise ships have ever gone to Sint Eustatius or adjoining Saba (both Dutch) as opposed to the very frequent visits to the other four; Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Sint Maarten. They would have to anchor there and more than likely, do some provisioning - don't know if they even have a bunker barge on that small island. It does put them in the Carib and fairly close to Ft. Lauderdale when it opens up

Sint Eustatius | Facts, Culture, History, & Points of Interest | Britannica

St-Eustatius.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9/7/2019 Rudi’s Sel De Mer dinner at Pinnacle Grill on Zuiderdam in Canada. Fun and delicious evening with 2 DS and BILs.   Might not have been beer but definitely wine.  We each bought a different plate!!  Hurricane was following us and we would miss 2 ports but smooth sailing.  Thanks Rich and everyone.  Prayers and cheers!

97136486-9833-4FF5-9375-58EE346B4856.jpeg

• Like 8

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Happy Labor Day and enjoy the last holiday of summer. 
Last day for the pool 😢. It’s always a relaxing place to spend the afternoon. 
Not sure about dinner tonight. I did steak last night.

Not a beer drinker, but my brother had some Skullsplitter from Orkney in the fridge. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 6