The Daily for Monday Sep 7, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those not familiar with Greco di Tufo, it's one of my favorite Italian wines. The grape itself is said to have been brought to southern Italy by the Greeks who colonized the area 2500 years ago, and perhaps brought viticulture to Italy. (The same Greeks who built amazing temples at Paestum, near Salerno):'

The "Tufo" part of the name refers to a town called Tufo, which is itself named for the "tuff" or "tufa" (as the Romans called it) stone, which is a volcanic stone especially prominent around Pompeii. Growing this grape in tuff gives it a lovely mineral-y flavor.

Some of these old wines were in danger of being forgotten, but are now being revived. 

Thank you for sharing what you know.  I am not familiar with this wine. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Policies seem to vary.  I wear mine at the drive through although the sign on the door at the McDonalds where I get coffee says a mask is required to enter but if you don't have one your alternative is the drive through.  When walking I either don't wear it or have it around my neck and will put it into position when I get within perhaps 50 feet of someone else.  Indoors everywhere except my house or my private office in the fire house.  Since the mask protects others more than me I consider it a sign of respect, and compliance is quite high in Maryland.

Roy

When the Gyms were still open here (I use the Y) they took your temp outside, asked you the questions, and made you wear a mask as well as latex gloves in order to get on a treadmill (and those were spread apart six feet). Since our Governor closed the gyms, I have been doing laps at a local park which has a nice track. Masks are required there also and most everyone complies - once in while, you'll encounter a "rules don't apply to me" dude (or dudette)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

The zucchini rolls sound interesting. Will explore that idea with some of our last Japanese eggplants later this week. But tonight it’s bbq pork ribs with peach sauce, with a fennel/ apple coleslaw and the other BBQ fixings ( corn on cob, potato salad, etc.) Dessert is what remains of the passion fruit gelato I made yesterday with lemon cake (to celebrate a neighbor’s engagement). Will definitely make that gelato again - oh my gosh. I keep reminding DH that some of these newer foods I’ve been exposed to on HAL trips and am now exploring how to make are part of the investment of prior travel- ROI. 

While we aren’t very close to any of the current fires we’re getting cloud cover and ash. The sunlight and sky has a yellow orange errie tinge  but no smell of smoke. Having said that, no trail ride for me today.  

Now I need the passion fruit gelato recipe!  Or is it one you posted before?  Thanks!

• Like 3

Good morning all and thanks Rich and Roy.   A particular thanks to Cat and cruise mom as I don’t like beer and have some not so fond memories of drinking a hurricane in New Orleans.  

We have discovered some excellent lesser known Italian varieties such as Primitivo in Pulia.   Last year we visited one of our favourites in Sicily, Nero Di Avila.   

4689D5AE-ECB0-41B6-AF15-C8417427C9ED.jpeg

B75402F1-1063-495F-BEF2-5244412437E8.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 5

The smoke from wildfires both north and west of us is keeping our temps down today and may be slowing some of the Labor Day celebrations. I can smell the smoke at times although all the fires are a good distance from us.  A bit of that Alberta Clipper may hit us tomorrow evening with some rain or snow.... and we will take any moisture we can get. While the moisture may help the fires, the winds probably will not. Just can't seem to win.

Am starting to look wistfully at future cruises - hopefully, hopefully.

Susan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning all, 

Unusual Labor Day for me, I was usually working!  But since I retired from the hospital, my part time fill in job is actually closed on holidays!  Hubby was generally on call the same holidays, so this is a new normal for us. 

We were to have a small get together to meet our nephews fiance but the weather is awful and we can't social distance in the yard as planned. 

We are to have historic winds in the state and several fires are going at this time we even have ash falling in our yard and nearest fire is 90 miles from us.  Prayers to our fire and emergency personnel.

Stay safe everyone

Denise

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those not familiar with Greco di Tufo, it's one of my favorite Italian wines. The grape itself is said to have been brought to southern Italy by the Greeks who colonized the area 2500 years ago, and perhaps brought viticulture to Italy. (The same Greeks who built amazing temples at Paestum, near Salerno):'

image.thumb.png.cedce9395fb9da68c7853d08683ed839.png

The "Tufo" part of the name refers to a town called Tufo, which is itself named for the "tuff" or "tufa" (as the Romans called it) stone, which is a volcanic stone especially prominent around Pompeii. Growing this grape in tuff gives it a lovely mineral-y flavor.

Some of these old wines were in danger of being forgotten, but are now being revived. 

Cruisemom42, thanks for the information about the wine.  I rarely go to the wine store any more, because I joined several California wine clubs and they send me wine several times a year.  One of those has just started producing Falanghina, and that one was new to me but I love it, and I think it originally comes from the area in Italy near Tufo.  I will definitely look for some Greco di Tufo.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TheKingD said:

Cruisemom42, thanks for the information about the wine.  I rarely go to the wine store any more, because I joined several California wine clubs and they send me wine several times a year.  One of those has just started producing Falanghina, and that one was new to me but I love it, and I think it originally comes from the area in Italy near Tufo.  I will definitely look for some Greco di Tufo.

Falanghina is another good one. I've enjoyed it on Capri. :classic_cool:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning all, 

Unusual Labor Day for me, I was usually working!  But since I retired from the hospital, my part time fill in job is actually closed on holidays!  Hubby was generally on call the same holidays, so this is a new normal for us. 

We were to have a small get together to meet our nephews fiance but the weather is awful and we can't social distance in the yard as planned. 

We are to have historic winds in the state and several fires are going at this time we even have ash falling in our yard and nearest fire is 90 miles from us.  Prayers to our fire and emergency personnel.

Stay safe everyone

Denise

Stay safe, Denise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Morning all, 

Stay safe everyone

Denise

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that.

Stay safe and I join in your prayers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Biiiiig Alan Jackson (and modern country like Brooks & Dunn and Antebellum) fan here; another good one!

Same here, Copper. I don't do many live concerts, but Alan Jackson is one of several artists that I have gone to. I've been a country music fan before country was cool. 😉  When my sister passed away in 2006, Alan Jackson was her music of choice for those last days. Bittersweet memories. Thanks for the videos!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Same here, Copper. I don't do many live concerts, but Alan Jackson is one of several artists that I have gone to. I've been a country music fan before country was cool. 😉  When my sister passed away in 2006, Alan Jackson was her music of choice for those last days. Bittersweet memories. Thanks for the videos!

Always get emotional with "Where were you" - and of course, "Remember when"

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Now I need the passion fruit gelato recipe!  Or is it one you posted before?  Thanks!

It’s the Sicilian style gelato recipe but I included 3/4 cup of passion fruit pulp ( including the clear liquid). I did forget the tablespoon of vodka, but it is surprisingly an acceptable gelato texture (small ice crystals).  Will have to go back and check which recipe I posted before ( I think it was the chocolate).

I’m seriously considering getting a compressor based gelato/ ice cream machine as freezing the sleeve takes up a lot of space.

• Like 3