Required cruise line shore excursions

A current CC article address whether cruise lines would require their guests to book at least one shore excursion to ensure that they stay within the social distancing "bubble". Here's my thought about that requirement: So long as the required shore excursion visits the sights I expect to see on that excursion and does NOT visit a required shop from which the line receives its commissions, I have no problem booking that excursion. For example, if the excursion visits Pompeii and then continues to Sorrento or Amalfi from either Salerno or Naples, I have no problems visiting Pompeii and/or Amalfi while within the social distancing "bubble", but I refuse to enter those souvenir shops that the line requires its guests to visit unless I really need to use their Men's room facilities. 

RCCL guests, what are your thoughts about this issue? 

14 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

A current CC article address whether cruise lines would require their guests to book at least one shore excursion to ensure that they stay within the social distancing "bubble". Here's my thought about that requirement: So long as the required shore excursion visits the sights I expect to see on that excursion and does NOT visit a required shop from which the line receives its commissions, I have no problem booking that excursion. For example, if the excursion visits Pompeii and then continues to Sorrento or Amalfi from either Salerno or Naples, I have no problems visiting Pompeii and/or Amalfi while within the social distancing "bubble", but I refuse to enter those souvenir shops that the line requires its guests to visit unless I really need to use their Men's room facilities. 

Based purely on your post, I would say that you (and anyone else) should feel free to eschew the shop.

Depending on the port, and the excursion, I would consider taking a cruise line excursion if I wanted to see something that was offered.

It would have to be to a port that was either new to me or a port that had something special to offer. 

m

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Based purely on your post, I would say that you (and anyone else) should feel free to eschew the shop.

Thanks for replying to my new topic question, which I decided to do to see what happens. Regarding the souvenir shops RCCL practically requires its excursion buses to visit, I can think of several. One of them is that cameo shop near Naples, and the other one is that wood carving shop on the main drag entering Sorrento.

Other examples of required shops include the wood carving shop in Anacapri (the town w/the chairlift up the hill, not the town w/the fancy shops, resorts, and the funicular train to the marina below), and jewelry or ceramics shops on Malta en-route to the lunch place at a beach resort. The thing all of those shops have in common are bathroom facilities, and if you visit these facilities, you're practically roped into watching how the shop owners create their merchandise. 

Regarding the social distancing "bubble," I'd have to wonder whether temperature checks are given to guests entering the shop or boarding the bus to return to the ship, followed by Q-tip swabs of my nose or throat to test for Covid. I also wonder whether the test facilities at the terminals are that quick and efficient to render results within 15 minutes and get those results to ship security or Guest Relations before the guests board the ship. 

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Depending on the port, and the excursion, I would consider taking a cruise line excursion if I wanted to see something that was offered.

It would have to be to a port that was either new to me or a port that had something special to offer. 

m

Cruisegirl, what port would be new to you or had something special to offer? An example of a new port for me would be La Spezia in Italy for tours of Cinque Terre. However, if RCCL's shore excursion office offered a tour that visits Lucca and/or Siena, I would definitely sign up for that one because I haven't visited those Tuscan towns yet. 

IF, the new rules set up by the local governments only allow designated excursions to ensure social distancing and the safety of their citizens,,,, then I would comply with the restrictions wherever they may take me.

If I were to decide that I didn't like the new rules or restrictions set up by the cruiselines and/or the local governments, then I would exercise my right not to travel with that cruiseline or to that locality.

My individual wants/needs/desires are not above or placed ahead of the needs of the general population as a whole.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Could you please send a link to the article?

59 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Do they force people to actually enter the shop?  I've never had that happen, on any shore excursion.  I would suggest just not entering the shop.

I think the article said IF you wanted to go on an excursion it had to be in the cruise line's social bubble.  I don't think you HAD to go on an excursion.  And this is for the first cruises offered....don't imagine it will last long once rapid testing and/or a vaccine is available.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Do they force people to actually enter the shop?  I've never had that happen, on any shore excursion.  I would suggest just not entering the shop.

Well, I'm not sure whether the guides actually coerce guests to enter the shop, but when I or anybody else has the urgent need to visit the lavoratories, those facilities are invevitably located near the shop's display counters. Worse of all, you're stuck inside the store because the bus driver isn't going to unlock the bus doors until he's ready to do that. I've seen that happen at that cameo shop near Naples. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Here's the requested link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5570/.

Thank you but I don't see anything in the article that forces people to book at least one shore excursion. 

You say, "A current CC article address whether cruise lines would require their guests to book at least one shore excursion to ensure that they stay within the social distancing "bubble". 

What am I missing?  What I see is a requirement that IF you book a shore excursion, it has to be with the cruise line.  That is far different than requiring guests to book at least one shore excursion.

3 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Well, I'm not sure whether the guides actually coerce guests to enter the shop, but when I or anybody else has the urgent need to visit the lavoratories, those facilities are invevitably located near the shop's display counters. Worse of all, you're stuck inside the store because the bus driver isn't going to unlock the bus doors until he's ready to do that. I've seen that happen at that cameo shop near Naples. 

Great view of Vesuvius from there. 

BTW, we had to do two gift shops on our Amalfi excusion. First the wood shop in Sorrento,  then the cameo shop.🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

I would go in, use the facilities, then walk out. What difference does it make if the facilities are near the display counters?  And even if the bus door is locked, can't you just wait outside?  I'm really not seeing what the problem is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Oh, but the stop at the Limoncello shop is absolute lemon heaven on that Amalfi Coast tour!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Thank you but I don't see anything in the article that forces people to book at least one shore excursion. 

You say, "A current CC article address whether cruise lines would require their guests to book at least one shore excursion to ensure that they stay within the social distancing "bubble". 

What am I missing?  What I see is a requirement that IF you book a shore excursion, it has to be with the cruise line.  That is far different than requiring guests to book at least one shore excursion.

I suspect that if you want to get off the ship, you'll have to be on a ship excursion. No DIY tours or just wandering around.

15 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

To me, that's why I have my entire Kindle library on my phone:  reading time!!!  Just hang out by the front door, or find a chair, until it's time to go.

There is literally no where in the entire world I can be bored:  I always have my 350 book library with me.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShmuelCharlie said:

Cruisegirl, what port would be new to you or had something special to offer? An example of a new port for me would be La Spezia in Italy for tours of Cinque Terre. However, if RCCL's shore excursion office offered a tour that visits Lucca and/or Siena, I would definitely sign up for that one because I haven't visited those Tuscan towns yet. 

Finland, Russia and Estonia ports, as  that was  one of our  cancelled cruises.  

We had wonderful private tours in many countries/cities  but if it was my first time, I would take an RCCL tour if that is the only way to see the sights.  

M

22 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Same here.  We've had some shopping even on private ( 6 passenger van) excursions. 

M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, yogimax said:

It's the former requirement of booking the excursion w/the cruise line. I may have misinterpreted the whole article, but I got the vibe that the line requires its guests to book at least one excursion to the exclusion of other tour operators such as the ones shown in the Roll Calls. 

17 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Finland, Russia and Estonia ports, as  that was  one of our  cancelled cruises.  

We had wonderful private tours in many countries/cities  but if it was my first time, I would take an RCCL tour if that is the only way to see the sights.  

M

Well, I recall taking Princess excursions of St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Berlin back in '95 because these ports were my first time there. Back in '95, the Soviet Union had just collapsed, but the Russian part still required all tourists to apply for visas. The visa application asked tourists to tell the visa office where we're going, with whom, and when we're going to be visiting the port. Regarding Estonia, I haven't visited that country yet on a cruise, but I do know that I have no plans to re-visit Russia again.