Cruise Critic News: E-Muster, Keyless Cabin Check-in and More: Royal Caribbean Group Announces Smartphone App Improvements

LauraS

• Administrators

(2:45 p.m. EDT) -- Technological improvements with cruise line smartphone apps, such as the ability to take part in an electronic muster drill and check-in, as well as open cabin doors, will drive return to cruising for most lines that make up the Royal Caribbean Group. In a news release, the company outlined several of its smartphone initiatives, ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rzBrbbzVxVo

View the full article

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, LauraS said:

(2:45 p.m. EDT) -- Technological improvements with cruise line smartphone apps, such as the ability to take part in an electronic muster drill and check-in, as well as open cabin doors, will drive return to cruising for most lines that make up the Royal Caribbean Group. In a news release, the company outlined several of its smartphone initiatives, ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs

rzBrbbzVxVo

View the full article

Hmm,  one of the things we like about cruising is we toss our phones in the safe and leave them there.  We would really hate to be forced to carry our phones everywhere.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Hmm,  one of the things we like about cruising is we toss our phones in the safe and leave them there.  We would really hate to be forced to carry our phones everywhere.

I agree and feel the same way.  Also, not everyone has a smart phone.

• Like 1

Greater functionality in the app will be wonderful. 

The keyless cabin unlocking didn't work so well on Oasis but that's consistent my experience trying to use BLE locks on my house back on land which works well no better than 50% of the time.  This is just as likely to be my phone's fault as it is the locks fault but with so many different phones used by different guests it will be hard to do any better.  I've given up trying to find the perfect bluetooth lock for my house, it's cost me a small fortune to try the best rated ones that all disappoint in real world use.  

I think the broad spectrum of devices using various versions of operating systems will remain to be a challenge for any app maker including Royal.  Carnival's Medallion approach may prove to be a more effective approach to minimizing contact and it satisfies the guests that don't want to carry their phone on vacation.  

The app approach has more potential in theory but in the end it has to actually work or it's just a waste of money.   Here's hoping the Royal app continues to progress and that eMuster works a lot better compared to unlocking the cabin door.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazyank said:

I agree.   Also some guests may forget to set the phone and incur roaming charges.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I don't see this as a "requirement", but an alternative. There will still be WOW bands @ $5 a pop. 

It's not only for cabin entry.  By the way, the WOW bands should be free and if needs should be included in the cruise fare.  It was gratis initially on the Quantum.

Hopefully someone posts the app ahead of time. I dont have it on my phone and dont have my smart phone set to download stuff. I mostly use my tablet for games and stuff, not my phone. I guess if it works offline on the ship if I downloaded it ahead of time to my phone would work. ... though phone to me makes for a bulky key card. Rather use a card.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It's not only for cabin entry.  

I know it is not just cabin entry. Everything that is on it can be done elsewhere from what I have gathered and read. Muster drill 2.0, purchases, cabin entry, reservations, etc. It all can be done without a phone. 

I found the app to be great for looking at scheduling, adding events, managing reservations and seeing the daily planner. Add the these new features and it's a win for me. I know some don't like to carry their phones around with them but I use my phone as my main camera so that I don't lug my bigger more expensive DSLR around.

• Like 2

Yes....a working card less app would also be great fro getting drinks at the bar...not having to handle a pen that 30 other people had used before you. It would also save on time. I can see this on the newer ships but I don't think some of the older favorites are wired for such.  

I use my phone to purchase gas, coffee,  groceries, Sams club...etc. Its a nice way to do things. No scrambling for cards or cash. No papers to drag around. I see people in line to board with folders and papers. I just pull up the app. Then again, I like my phone with me for pictures, music, internet.