Shore Excursion Conundrum--what would you do?

peanut head

38 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

For me, I don't think I could even enjoy the day's excursion with this in the back of my mind. Stress can be a silent beast... creeps up on you... there is absolutely no way I would book this tour, even with the so-called promise. I mean, it's all fun and games until the bus gets caught in traffic, someone is late returning to the bus and that makes everyone late, the bus breaks down... you get the idea. 😉

If it was Jamaica I'd agree with you! I'd take the chance in southern Spain, though. 

9 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

If it was Jamaica I'd agree with you! I'd take the chance in southern Spain, though. 

I have NEVER had a private tour get me back late.  But I would also NEVER book a tour that says within 15 minutes of departure.  I'd do 45 minutes I suppose, but always use 1 hour as my guide.

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

No one should be booking ANY kind of excursions, whether ship or private, for cruises that are within 12 months. NO ONE has ANY idea of what's happening with regards to new protocols. To be honest it's rather STUPID to be paying in advance for cruising extras when there's no understanding of what the changes will be. 

Good advice!

And the time frame for return to the ship is WAY TOO CLOSE!

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

No one should be booking ANY kind of excursions, whether ship or private, for cruises that are within 12 months. NO ONE has ANY idea of what's happening with regards to new protocols. To be honest it's rather STUPID to be paying in advance for cruising extras when there's no understanding of what the changes will be. 

well I am not sure we are rather  "STUPID"...just making a personal decison either way

I personally MUCH prefer taking private port tours...BUT NOT just signing on to mass marketed shore excursion replacements.  The way to do this is to arrange your OWN private tour...putting together a group on your roll call and arranging your own tour with a well-recommended local guide or tour company.  That way, YOU are in control of the itinerary AND the timing.  You can direct your tour provider as to a scheduled (or at least, target) return time.  If you know the ship sets sail at, say, 7:00 om, you can direct them to get you back to the ship no later than, say, 6:00 pm...AND every local tour company I've ever dealt with has had no problem complying with that.  They know the local traffic patterns and timing, they know what they can fit into your window.  Nowadays, with all of the GPS/traffic apps, they can monitor the current traffic conditions.  They also know how to arrange the sights on your itinerary to start distantly and end the tour with the closest attractions to the port in order to minimize the drive back. AND, most importantly, if it's YOUR private tour, they can adjust at YOUR request.  They are VERY good at it.

If you are just signing up for someone else's bus tour...even if they CLAIM the size is limited...remember, there's no real way to hold them to that...and YOU don't control anything about the tour.  You might as well just take the cruise line's shorex (AND for the Alhambra from Malaga, they WILL have one available at some point).  To go on your own, contact a provider like Spain Day Tours (or others) and put together your own group on the Roll Call...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I personally MUCH prefer taking private port tours...BUT NOT just signing on to mass marketed shore excursion replacements.  The way to do this is to arrange your OWN private tour...putting together a group on your roll call and arranging your own tour with a well-recommended local guide or tour company.  That way, YOU are in control of the itinerary AND the timing.  You can direct your tour provider as to a scheduled (or at least, target) return time.  If you know the ship sets sail at, say, 7:00 om, you can direct them to get you back to the ship no later than, say, 6:00 pm...AND every local tour company I've ever dealt with has had no problem complying with that.  They know the local traffic patterns and timing, they know what they can fit into your window.  Nowadays, with all of the GPS/traffic apps, they can monitor the current traffic conditions.  They also know how to arrange the sights on your itinerary to start distantly and end the tour with the closest attractions to the port in order to minimize the drive back. AND, most importantly, if it's YOUR private tour, they can adjust at YOUR request.  They are VERY good at it.

If you are just signing up for someone else's bus tour...even if they CLAIM the size is limited...remember, there's no real way to hold them to that...and YOU don't control anything about the tour.  You might as well just take the cruise line's shorex (AND for the Alhambra from Malaga, they WILL have one available at some point).  To go on your own, contact a provider like Spain Day Tours (or others) and put together your own group on the Roll Call...

That definitely would be the preferred way of doing it. But that does take some additional work that not everyone wants to sign on to. That's why sometimes I'm the organizer of Private Tours, other times just a participant. 

The biggest one I've organized was for a Vietnam cruise on the Millennium. It was for a two day Halong Bay/Hanoi Tour which ended up with a total of 21 people for a total cost of $3,200. I had to organize names, emails,Passport #'s, Deposits, the whole lot. At the end everything worked out perfect and all who signed up showed up and paid in full. Of course for all my work there was a group discount that I took advantage of.   

Edited by kwokpot

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That definitely would be the preferred way of doing it. But that does take some additional work that not everyone wants to sign on to. That's why sometimes I'm the organizer of Private Tours, other times just a participant. 

The biggest one I've organized was for a Vietnam cruise on the Millennium. It was for a two day Halong Bay/Hanoi Tour which ended up with a total of 21 people for a total cost of $3,200. I had to organize names, emails,Passport #'s, Deposits, the whole lot. At the end everything worked out perfect and all who signed up showed up and paid in full. Of course for all my work there was a group discount that I took advantage of.   

if you are doing all the work, it is not a vacation.  Send the link, let them do it themselves, I assume they are adults?!

I’d hold out for a shore excursion. I was on a Celebrity cruise last spring and tried to organize something myself prior to departure but the hassle involved in getting entry tickets, finding a reputable provider, and pulling together a group just wasn’t worth it. The shorex was added later than other choices. I actually signed up on board. The trip wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be — expensive but worth it. The Alhambra is such a circus that it doesn’t matter if you are there with 5 or 50 people — it’s every man for himself at every turn. Save yourself the anxiety and stress associated with COVID and go with the shorex.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

if you are doing all the work, it is not a vacation.  Send the link, let them do it themselves, I assume they are adults?!

I actually enjoy the doing the work. For me, travel planning is part of the enjoyment that I get from traveling. I've been extremely fortunate to have been able to take early retirement which has given me the time and resources to travel extensively.

With regard to this particular thread, I can understand why someone may want to do all this pre-booking ahead of time. And as I said, in normal times this is perfectly fine and a great way to be excited about one's travel plans. But as a travel expert when people ask for advice I'm going to be honest. During this pandemic everything about travel has been changed. So advanced planning makes no sense anymore. There are travel related companies that are going out of business every single day. Major hotels in cities across the country are shut down and may or may not open. Airline schedules are constantly changing. Who knows what tour companies will survive when your trip finally comes?

My only point in this thread is that the OP just wait a few weeks until we all have more information. There's already a greater than 50% chance that private tours may not be allowed. The cruise in questions is eight months away. In this environment booking too many things so far out you risk many unforeseen issues that can arise.  

Whatever the OP does you shouldn't miss the Alhambra. I was last there in December 2018 and actually took a Viator Tour from Malaga to Alhambra (We were in Malaga and South of Spain for a family Christmas Holiday). The tour picked us up downtown very early in the morning and it was a long day but oh so worth it. Here is my two best photos from that tour.

IMG_20181226_124934287-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20181226_122947987-EFFECTS.jpg

My most recent visit, we did a tour with Spain Day Tours...it really wasn't that hard to organize...I put a group of eight together on my Roll Call, contacted the provider and they did the rest....met us at the ship, got us back in plenty of time.  If outside providers are allowed, this is one of the largest local companies and will most likely be on any "approved" list

There is a plaque on one of the buildings of the Alhambra that sums it up.  It is a quote from Mexican poet Francisco de Icaza (1863-1925).  It was his comment to a woman coming across a blind beggar in the streets near the Alhambra:

quotes of Granada

Give him alms, woman, because there is nothing sadder in life than being blind in Granada

• Like 1

I totally endorse the comments re shore excursion to the Alhambra.  For me, it is a must see. My experience a couple of years back is that the tours were (and certainly in the present climate highly likely to be) tightly regulated re numbers. I tried to organise a tour with Spain Day Tours from our Harmony of the Seas Roll Call but could not get sufficient numbers far enough ahead to secure an advance booking (I can't recall if this was 8 or 10 pax).  When we did achieve sufficient numbers a few weeks before the cruise I was told there were no more tickets available.  I was very disappointed as there was no ship excursion planned.  Then a last minute a ships excursion did appear, only to be sold out almost immediately. I was however able to secure a single spot on checking with the shore excursion desk on board. 

Be aware that everyone has to take the Alhambra's own guides, so taking a ship or private tour does not make as much difference as you might think , at least experience wise actually there. 

Edited by dutchclogs

On 9/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, peanut head said:

I am considering booking a shore excursion with a big box store.   Celebrity doesn't offer a similar experience in the same port.  The big box store guarantees that you will make it back to the ship or they will pay to get you back by the next port.  The excursion in question is supposed to end and have us back only 15 minutes before the ship departs the port.  Is this cutting it too close?  Would you do it?

I think first as others stated, you might not be allowed to take an independent tour, that isn't ship sponsored.  I certainly think less that one hour to be back is risky.  What if the bus has a flat?  We love Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel , and other private days at hotels, wonder if we can do those tours also.  Probably not- but who knows.  Hopefully, next year we will have a safe vaccine that is distributed world wide.  But we can only speculate now.

We have only book a few private tours. As it was just us 2, we told the tour operator what we wanted to see and when we wanted to get back to the ship. I would wait until Jan 2021 to decide to book. Google maps, Málaga to Alhambra by car about 1 1/2 hour each way. Seems doable if Celebrity will allow it.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, peanut head said:

I double checked with the big box store shore excursion company after reading your posts.  They said that the group is around 15-20 people.  I was assured that we would get back to the ship no later than 30 minutes prior to departing from port at the latest, but most likely 45 minutes before departure.  The excursion is fully refundable at any time.  If the excursion company causes us to miss the boat then they give us $500.00 cash, a hotel night's stay and transfer to the next port.  I also discussed that, currently, it seems that there is a trend for excursions to only be ship sponsored.  The big box store excursion company is aware of this and said that over time they are looking to be granted the same and rules can change by the time the ship sails and once again, I can cancel at anytime for a full refund.

What you need to clarify is if they are discussing departure time or all aboard time. Typically, all aboard time is 30 minutes before the departure time. And when they say that they mean that you should be back on board by that time. If when they say that they will get you back 30 minutes before departure time - and they mean that. You will just barely be making it back to the boat in time with zero room for traffic or any other delays. I would not book a private excursion that got back 30-45 before departure time. I would consider an excursion that got me back 30-45 mintes before all aboard time (so 60-75) minutes before departure time. Our goal for private excursions is to return to the ship an hour before all aboard time to leave some room for traffic/flat tires/etc. Stuff happens, I don't think any company can honestly tell you  that they will get you back at exactly the time they say they will. Too much is outside of their control. Parking, traffic, someone on the tour stays 5 minutes late for a bathroom break, equipment malfunctions, etc. 60 minutes before all aboard is 1.5 hour bubble when is comfortable for me. But I would consider pushing it to 45 minutes based on how involved the tour was. But guarantee exactly at the all aboard time is something I wouldn't consider.

Edited by sanger727

Crystal Cruises has published their new cruising protocols.

Here is a direct link to Crystal's website information.

Highlights include:

*Testing prior to boarding AND at the terminal.

*Mandatory Travel Insurance

*Social distancing and Masks

***ONLY SHIP SPONSORED TOURS. No mention of approved independent touring. Self touring in port strictly prohibited.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

On 9/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, peanut head said:

I am considering booking a shore excursion with a big box store.   Celebrity doesn't offer a similar experience in the same port.  The big box store guarantees that you will make it back to the ship or they will pay to get you back by the next port.  The excursion in question is supposed to end and have us back only 15 minutes before the ship departs the port.  Is this cutting it too close?  Would you do it?

Sorry.

Pass.

- Joel

Booking anything other than excursions through Celebrity is totally illogical at this time. Given the forthcoming cruise protocols, it baffles me how you could even consider that. May 2021 is eight months away, no way will you be able to tour as you wish if your ship even sails. The smart excursion money says X or nothing.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 9:06 PM, kwokpot said:

Crystal Cruises has published their new cruising protocols.

Here is a direct link to Crystal's website information.

Highlights include:

*Testing prior to boarding AND at the terminal.

*Mandatory Travel Insurance

*Social distancing and Masks

***ONLY SHIP SPONSORED TOURS. No mention of approved independent touring. Self touring in port strictly prohibited.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

I found the mandatory travel insurance interesting.  Most travel insurance does not cover Covid-19.  So why would they be requiring travel insurance now?