Governor Just Opened Florida

19 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

"only" smh... 371K projected by Jan 2021.

In March, S.Korea estimated 50% of their population would be infected.

At the time, with all of the contact tracing, phone apps, masks, etc they estimated death rate at 0.6%

That estimation changed over time to about 0.1% (as they discovered how many people were asymptomatic) and recovering.

So using S. Korea's numbers:

50% of Americans = 180,000,000

0.6% of these 180,000,000 = 1,080,000

0.1% of these 180,000,000 = 180,000 ... where are we at today?

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well a huge chunk of those deaths can be attributed to poor decions made by the governor of NY. 

That can be looked at and assessed indeed. Every Governor was left to fend for themselves. But Covid isn't just in the USA. The entire world is coping the best they can. Other countries have not politicized Covid the way the US has. It doesn't make sense from purely a health prospective. Healthcare should not be politicized.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mustgo said:

The governor of Florida has an interesting way of doing the math.  These are yesterday's  numbers for the state of Florida.  How can he possibly claim a positivity rate of under 5%?

2,847  positive

New persons tested today: 26,495

Must be the new math.

All he and other states had to do is follow NY's lead and learn.

NY has a 1% or less positivity rate for going on 50 days or so

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Give it a break. EVERYONE is going to die. How many deaths in SD below 70?

33 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

The 7 day moving avg is 10.9% positivity rate.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida

In comparison:

CA 2.8

NY 0.9

TX 9.9

WA 3.4

SD 24.2

ND 7.1

More fearmongering. You're full of fearmongering stats. So tell us about that 24.2%. Are they over 70? Under 21? Are they dying? Are they out of hospital beds? And lastly, more importantly... if you're scared or worried, don't go to SD. You have choices. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

All you do and a few more is fear mongering. Be responsible for yourself. 

@Milwaukee Eightcan I please just ask you to reflect on this comment?

I have noticed when you disagree with someone about virus response you point the finger at them as ‘fear-mongering’.

I think that it is reasonable to post differing opinions and to say ‘I disagree’. I think that accusing people of ‘fear-mongering’ is not entirely accurate or fair.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

https://doh.sd.gov/news/coronavirus.aspx#SD

Here is South Dakota's problem. This is active cases by age. This paints a clear picture of the problem not just in SD but the whole US. The young ones could care less. The "what's in it for me" or "what do I get" mentality is literally killing us.

SD.JPG

Nothing wrong with this picture. It looks like folks are developing anti-bodies. Deaths is the only measurements that's needed. Reduce death counts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Science! Pffft. No I'm not scared at all. I'm damn good. I went to a little league ball game today. While it was outdoors, not a damn person anywhere was wearing a mask... anywhere. We're not scared down here. We're also not allowing the fear mongers like yoyrselves touting 'science' as somerhing we should be scared of. We're living our lives. You... you're hiding behind a key board bitching away at others for not living their lives scared like you.  

Since you like science so much. Please try not to pass out...

Coronavirus vs. Flu Deaths

COVID-19: There have been approximately 983,720 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 202,827, people have died of COVID-19 between January 2020 and September 25, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, the vast majority of people do not yet have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher (possibly 10 times or more) than that of most strains of the flu.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Very funny

When the death toll from Covid 19 gets to 340,000 (most projections say it will) it will mean that in less than a year, for every 1000 American citizens there was a death

That's NOT nothing

Then wear a mask, social distance, and stay home when you can. Your choice. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Must be the new math.

All he and other states had to do is follow NY's lead and learn.

NY has a 1% or less positivity rate for going on 50 days or so

Any state can have a low positivity rate.  Just have a lot of people who are pretty sure they don't have the virus keep getting tested.  That way there will be a large number of negative tests which will translate to a low positivity rate.  

• Like 1

Back to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis opening up Florida.

Miami is not in agreement.  

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez does not agree and has spoken out against the Governor's decision. 

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez said all businesses may reopen, but the county can still impose its own rules approved by the state, and a countrywide 11 p.m.-6 a.m. curfew remains in place.

I don't know about Broward or Palm Beach Counties. Maybe someone from those Counties can chime in. 

• Like 1