Governor Just Opened Florida

10 hours ago, Bobbysjack said:

The sad thing about this is that Florida will remain on the mandatory 14-day self quarantine list. So, many people will not be able to cruise from FL, even if cruising resumes because they cannot afford three weeks out of work. I have a cruise out of Miami scheduled for November and even if it is not cancelled, I will not be able to go... I cannot spend two weeks at home after my vacation. 

Take it up with your state governor. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Details matter. 

200,000 deaths... over 50% are 70+ yrs of age or older and are from nursing homes

Age 0-69 have 99. 97% survival rate

Age 0-20 have 99.997% survival rate

Kids are not dying.... teens are not dying.... college kids are not dying.... 20yr olds are not dying....30 yr olds are not dying....40, 50, and even 60 yr olds are not dying....

Yes, someone will no doubt post someone, somewhere about someone within the ages listed above that died of covid. Well that sucks, but people die every day in these age groups for many, many reasons. But the chances are amazingly great that you will not die of covid. In fact they're huge. 

So be responsible, stop the fear mongering. Instead of complaining about a state opening or the number is spiking up or going down... tell us what's in the numbers. Who's getting infected? Who's dying? What are their ages? If you don't know them, stop discussing them. Do better. Do your homework  So if you're not posting real numbers, you're posting fear mongering materials.

Do better.  

Well said!  Totally agree.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I notice a lot of caution on this thread. 

It appears the US is ahead of the US in this virus' infection progress, so I will update you on where we are at present.

After a gradual lifting of our lockdown regulations, infections have increased. We are now at a stage where there are more infections than at the peak back in March/April.

However, death rates are tiny. Ten times more people are dying of flu every day that Covid. It is not revealed whether people are dying of or with Covid. Many suspect, there are hardly any dying directly of Covid.

The reason for this is treatment has advanced tremendously, and the vast majority of those infected are young (under 45), who are 99.9% likely to survive.

The UK has knee-jerked into Draconian new measures, all of which will hit the economy for generations to come. The fact is, the working age people of today, will be made to pay for many years, and they are the ones who are 99.9% safe from dying.

We all have our theories on masks, reliability of information, political decisions etc., but they are mostly personal opinion. The two things all know is the vulnerable need to be protected as much as possible and the world's economies also need reactivating as soon as possible. 

The cruise industry will take every precaution available. They have been hopeful for a December/January restart for several months (most that have been paying attention, will know this by now), and any further delays will mean further financial decisions that will leave the industry in tatters.

If we all apply our own version of common sense, using all the information available, and put up with some sensible restrictions (and idiotic political decisions), we will be back on ships soon.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For most people, unless you are older or have any preexisting conditions that might make you more susceptible to the virus, you probably won't die, but you can very easily bring it home and pass it on to people who are at high risk. Unlike the flu, or some other infectious diseases, at this time there are no vaccines or other medical answers to prevent it or cure it. 

All lives matter or at least they should. Everybody has friends, family, or acquaintances who fall in to the high risk category.  I'm stunned at all the people who are selfish enough to think "I probably won't die from it so let everybody else worry about themselves".

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Vs how long till next spike🤔

This could delay cruising from here.  Tough call

Good news if people are sensible.

In bars and restaurants in the UK since last week we have to wear masks by law while walking around but can take the masks off while seated plus bars and restaurants are table service only.

If you follow these guidelines hopefully it will prevent another spike for you. 

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

After a gradual lifting of our lockdown regulations, infections have increased. We are now at a stage where there are more infections than at the peak back in March/April.

However, death rates are tiny. Ten times more people are dying of flu every day that Covid. It is not revealed whether people are dying of or with Covid. Many suspect, there are hardly any dying directly of Covid.

The reason for this is treatment has advanced tremendously, and the vast majority of those infected are young (under 45), who are 99.9% likely to survive.

The official infection rate is higher now than the March peak, but we vastly underestimated the rate then with testing mainly done only in hospitals. Now in UK we are testing more than most European countries and it have a more accurate picture of the infection rate. 

But yes the rate has gone up immensely after getting right down in August. 

Hopefully with more knowledge and better treatments the death rate will not explode in the same rate. I wonder also if the virus is mutating and becoming weaker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

For most people, unless you are older or have any preexisting conditions that might make you more susceptible to the virus, you probably won't die, but you can very easily bring it home and pass it on to people who are at high risk. Unlike the flu, or some other infectious diseases, at this time there are no vaccines or other medical answers to prevent it or cure it. 

All lives matter or at least they should. Everybody has friends, family, or acquaintances who fall in to the high risk category.  I'm stunned at all the people who are selfish enough to think "I probably won't die from it so let everybody else worry about themselves".

Sadly this has also been the case in the UK although now there are a big selection of designer face masks being sold younger people are getting into the fashion accessory of these masks and wearing them a lot of the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sgmn said:

The official infection rate is higher now than the March peak, but we vastly underestimated the rate then with testing mainly done only in hospitals. Now in UK we are testing more than most European countries and it have a more accurate picture of the infection rate. 

But yes the rate has gone up immensely after getting right down in August. 

Hopefully with more knowledge and better treatments the death rate will not explode in the same rate. I wonder also if the virus is mutating and becoming weaker

Fortunately the death rates are now in the tens rather than the several hundreds every day.

Graham.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aquahound said:

The local USCG sector commander is the captain of the port.  Florida's Broward County owns Port Everglades.  So while CDC has certain powers, like the ability to extend the no sail order, they do not actually control the ports.  

True, but they control if a cruise ship can put passengers on a ship at the port and leave the port with those passengers. 

That may be true for bars and restaurants since it is easy for those of us in high risk groups to avoid them.  However, lifting all restrictions for mask wearing is very dangerous to us since although we can self isolate for many things, sometimes we do need to go out.  I am thinking about being around the general public for doctors visits as well as grocery stores.  We do Walmart pickup for most items but sometimes one needs another source.  We did not choose to be old.  It just happened.

I will still mask up for now. It doesn’t look quite so silly anymore and in public people can be very inconsiderate, especially here in South Florida...
And yes, this getting old business sucks but it is the only thing in life that we cannot control

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, compman9 said:

I notice a lot of caution on this thread. 

It appears the US is ahead of the US in this virus' infection progress, so I will update you on where we are at present.

The UK has knee-jerked into Draconian new measures, all of which will hit the economy for generations to come. The fact is, the working age people of today, will be made to pay for many years, and they are the ones who are 99.9% safe from dying.

We all have our theories on masks, reliability of information, political decisions etc., but they are mostly personal opinion. The two things all know is the vulnerable need to be protected as much as possible and the world's economies also need reactivating as soon as possible. 

The cruise industry will take every precaution available. They have been hopeful for a December/January restart for several months (most that have been paying attention, will know this by now), and any further delays will mean further financial decisions that will leave the industry in tatters.

If we all apply our own version of common sense, using all the information available, and put up with some sensible restrictions (and idiotic political decisions), we will be back on ships soon.

Sounds reasonable to me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Details matter. 

200,000 deaths... over 50% are 70+ yrs of age or older and are from nursing homes

Kids are not dying.... teens are not dying.... college kids are not dying.... 20yr olds are not dying....30 yr olds are not dying....40, 50, and even 60 yr olds are not dying....

Yes, someone will no doubt post someone, somewhere about someone within the ages listed above that died of covid. Well that sucks, but people die every day in these age groups for many, many reasons. But the chances are amazingly great that you will not die of covid. In fact they're huge. 

So be responsible, stop the fear mongering. Instead of complaining about a state opening or the number is spiking up or going down... tell us what's in the numbers. Who's getting infected? Who's dying? What are their ages? If you don't know them, stop discussing them. Do better. Do your homework  So if you're not posting real numbers, you're posting fear mongering materials.

Do better.  

Exactly.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Great post.  So many people are saying that those in high risk categories should just stay home or avoid other people, but in many (perhaps most) cases, that's not possible.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

The last thing I want to pay for is a subscription to view yet another graph. It's bad enough that I have to scroll through them here on CC for free. 

Popped up in my email after I tried to open Jakes link😉

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

All of the rationalizations here make my head spin. Some people see what they want to see and ignore the rest. If Florida has got this all figured out while other places are going back into lockdowns for the fall, then I'll eat my hat.

Send me your address and I’ll send you a Red Hat. 😇

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I said my hat not yours. The numbers in Florida are nothing to brag about BTW.

I think most of us here have learned to live (safe) in the COVID19 times. Avoid indoor areas or wear a mask. Don’t get close to people not in your bubble.  After the a Governor’s order, I went to Publix and Sams. I only saw one couple with their mask pulled down on their chin. They both had a 7/11 Slurpee and when confronted about their mask, told the attendant they were doing their drink. I avoided them while shopping. The media takes data and twists it to meet their agenda. It’s too bad so many fall for it. 

If you live in an area where people live on top of each other, then due diligence is required. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think most of us here have learned to live (safe) in the COVID19 times. Avoid indoor areas or wear a mask. Don’t get close to people not in your bubble.  After the a Governor’s order, I went to Publix and Sams. I only saw one couple with their mask pulled down on their chin. They both had a 7/11 Slurpee and when confronted about their mask, told the attendant they were doing their drink. I avoided them while shopping. The media takes data and twists it to meet their agenda. It’s too bad so many fall for it. 

M8

Explain North Dakota to me. No restrictions and cases are off the charts. Are they just stupid? That won't happen in Florida?

8 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Details matter. 

Do better.  

The people living in fear don't want to hear it.  I think some of them actually like living in fear now.  Their new mantra is the horrible long term consequences that will last for decades.  It's almost comical.

• Like 8