Governor Just Opened Florida

19 minutes ago, Gigi11111 said:

I'm glad they opened 100% as I'm vacationing there in November. I also have a cruise planned for March and fingers crossed that it happens

We're looking forward to 10 weeks in Florida beginning mid-January.   Enjoy your trip in November🙂

Edited by bouhunter

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Long term affects not isolated to those intubated . We have new guidelines for children over 12 who have had Covid -19 and fever greater than 5 days that they need a cardiac exam prior to returning to competitive sports. So it is not just the old!

Did any of the exams for the children show any heart damage or any abnormalities?  Im just curious.  

48 minutes ago, yogimax said:

No masks?  Not good.

We will never know how many may have come down with it at Disney, will we?

Well, at the time the CDC said masks were not good. However, I’m pretty sure if any COVID patients had reported being at Disney it would have been all over the news. All of the news articles highlighted that poor man’s one day at Disney immediately preceding his trip to the ER vs. the fact he would have most likely caught it in California before he flew through LAX and spent the majority of his time at an indoor conference where he probably shook hands about 50 times a day. Disney definitely makes for more sensational news. This was back in March.

Edited by HxFx
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Don't let your guard down...better to be safe !

We are mature enough to make reasonable decisions. I have no problem with what our Governor did today. I am responsible for me. 

All summer long we heard doom and gloom that Florida was going to sink. It didn’t happen. 

The same people are doing it again. Same people. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We are mature enough to make reasonable decisions. I have no problem with what our Governor did today. I am responsible for me. 

All summer long we heard doom and gloom that Florida was going to sink. It didn’t happen. 

M8

Hoping there will be more of you that are mature and make reasonable decisions...Time will tell. But again best of luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Just don't tell them you are traveling out of state. Tell them you going to paint your house or something like that. Leave your cell phone at home. Use an old one without service for pictures and wireless internet.

So your advice is to lie to your employer??

Your mother must be so proud!! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

So your advice is to lie to your employer??

Your mother must be so proud!! 

And people wonder why some countries have been hit harder by Covid?

The first thought isn't "how can I make things safer", it's "how can I get around the rules for my own benefit".

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We wear our mask. We avoid places that could be a problem. 

Well, that may not matter as much as it did before.  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/518336-coronavirus-mutation-emerges-that-may-outmaneuver-mask

It's not more deadly, but more contagious which is what happens with mutations.  The virus wants to survive.  It's why the common cold is the way it is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BND said:

Well, that may not matter as much as it did before.  

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/518336-coronavirus-mutation-emerges-that-may-outmaneuver-mask

It's not more deadly, but more contagious which is what happens with mutations.  The virus wants to survive.  It's why the common cold is the way it is.

Well, I’m doomed. The boss is oncall this weekend and was consulted on two COVID19 patients today. She has seen more in the past. So far so good. We don’t hang around with people that consider COVID19 a joke. Having said that,  we remain active and are going to let this get the best of us. We avoid people and places that may cause us an issue. My son is an ICU Nurse  at Miami Jackson Memorial. He has several COVID19 patients each shift. He continues to test negative and feels fine (other than exhausted). 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Well, I’m doomed. The boss is oncall this weekend and was consulted on two COVID19 patients today. She has seen more in the past. So far so good. We don’t hang around with people that consider COVID19 a joke. Having said that,  we remain active and are going to let this get the best of us. We avoid people and places that may cause us an issue. My son is an ICU Nurse  at Miami Jackson Memorial. He has several COVID19 patients each shift. He continues to test negative and feels fine (other than exhausted). 

M8

My DIL is a nurse (RN) in a GP office and has tested negative the last time she had some symptoms and we see them every few weeks.  My DH was tested over a week ago and was negative after exposure to someone at work who has since returned.  We wear masks, keep distance etc, but we go to church, eat out (outside mostly)  and I'm retired so I'm mostly home, but do visit my MIL at a independent living senior apartment where she has 24/7 aides and see our two sons and DIL's at our home every few weeks.  We all do what we can, but the expectation is that as mutations happen, while it becomes more contagious, it also becomes less deadly.  We just visited my parents in their home last weekend and wore masks except for when we late lunch at the same table.  We have to live our lives.

ETA, I fixed "inside" to outside for dining.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3

At this point leaving anything closed is pointless. Covid is here, it is not going anywhere any time soon. People know the risks and need to assess what level they are willing to take. If Home Depot, Walmart, and grocery stores can be open so can every Mom & Pop shop, restaurant, bar, night club, etc. Just be smart about it, stay apart, and wear a mask. 

If there is a spike, there is a spike. Those in high risk categories should choose to stay home. Those that are less affected, can live life more. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

This seemed to happen very suddenly and I fear it is related to pressure from the theme parks and the cruise industry. 

This has nothing to do with the cruise industry. The CDC controls the ports, not the State of FL. If anything, this could impact the no sail order.

• Like 1

Just now, bigrednole said:

This has nothing to do with the cruise industry. The CDC controls the ports, not the State of FL. If anything, this could impact the no sail order.

The local USCG sector commander is the captain of the port.  Florida's Broward County owns Port Everglades.  So while CDC has certain powers, like the ability to extend the no sail order, they do not actually control the ports.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JT1962 said:

There is obviously going to be an inconvenience for some, but the whole country can’t stay shut down until Covid is no longer an issue.

When did the  entire country shut down. You must have us confused with Canada. The whole country doesn't even agree on masks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

When did the  entire country shut down.

I believe they estimated that only 30% of the economy shut down. 70% chugged right along which is most likely why we have over 40K new infections daily.

Wisconsin covid chart looks like a SpaceX launch right now.

• Like 2