Governor Just Opened Florida

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

not really... I mean if they don't have a kitchen, true they're not open. But there is plenty many places to go to get your drink on. 

No doubt, if a place makes 51% of their revenue from prepare food (restaurant) they can be open, otherwise they can not (bars) even in restaurants the bar area is still closed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No doubt, if a place makes 51% of their revenue from prepare food (restaurant) they can be open, otherwise they can not (bars) even in restaurants the bar area is still closed 

I was just sitting at a bar on Labor Day! Believe me, there are places open legally that you can 'belly up to the bar'. We have a new spot that recently opened w/ a decent menu called Walk-Ons. Good spot. Wear a mask to be seated... remove it once at a table or the bar (if you can find a seat) One of many!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Isn't every statement here open to interpretation? Does a statement require a point? It's a fact provided. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've been reading this thread with interest and I was curious what it had to do with the topic.  I guess I'll just continue to wonder.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Vs how long till next spike🤔

This could delay cruising from here.  Tough call

That was the first thing I thought of.   Opening up completely could be worse than the previous spike.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I was just sitting at a bar on Labor Day! Believe me, there are places open legally that you can 'belly up to the bar'. We have a new spot that recently opened w/ a decent menu called Walk-Ons. Good spot. Wear a mask to be seated... remove it once at a table or the bar (if you can find a seat) One of many!

Yes we have Walk Ons in my hometown, great sports bar, but technically listed by the TABC as a restaurant

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

We rarely do EKG‘S  after viral infections with fever. So not typical at all. 

My Dr (internist) routinely does them at annual physicals for anyone over 50.  A couple of years ago, I developed tachycardia along with other symptoms (nausea, lack of hunger, weight loss, exhaustion and slightly elevated liver enzymes-discovered when I went to ER for heart rate).  Come to find out, after an abdominal ultrasound, I had gall stones and my gall bladder had reached the end of life as I had had symptoms that I had chalked up to gas/indigestion for years.  Best thing I found out was my liver was pristine which they don't see that often anymore with everyone's diets.  I ended up getting several EKG's, an echocardiogram and wore a halter monitor for 48 hours.  All normal, except for rapid heart rate.  Cardiologist racked it up to the gall bladder.  Anyway, point is, getting an EKG can easily be part of any check up.  Gall bladder out, I felt great immediately lol.  So many illnesses can cause heart issues, even temporary ones.

1 hour ago, kuhne said:

what chances do you see for this nov 8, 2020 cruise in the harmony actually happening

port canaveral

cococay

st thomas

St kitts

back to canaveral.

according to Royal it’s still on, logic and common sense say it can’t. 

We cancelled that and the Nov 1 before final payment.  Not likely to go as planned, if at all.

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Long term affects not isolated to those intubated . We have new guidelines for children over 12 who have had Covid -19 and fever greater than 5 days that they need a cardiac exam prior to returning to competitive sports. So it is not just the old!

I know there are other viruses that can cause cardiac issues in children too.   All children should have a cardiac exam to participate in competitive sports as there are many hidden issues that only come up when a child drops on the field/court.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BND said:

My Dr (internist) routinely does them at annual physicals for anyone over 50.  A couple of years ago, I developed tachycardia along with other symptoms (nausea, lack of hunger, weight loss, exhaustion and slightly elevated liver enzymes-discovered when I went to ER for heart rate).  Come to find out, after an abdominal ultrasound, I had gall stones and my gall bladder had reached the end of life as I had had symptoms that I had chalked up to gas/indigestion for years.  Best thing I found out was my liver was pristine which they don't see that often anymore with everyone's diets.  I ended up getting several EKG's, an echocardiogram and wore a halter monitor for 48 hours.  All normal, except for rapid heart rate.  Cardiologist racked it up to the gall bladder.  Anyway, point is, getting an EKG can easily be part of any check up.  Gall bladder out, I felt great immediately lol.  So many illnesses can cause heart issues, even temporary ones.

That is true but this is looking at post viral cardiomyopathy that could lead to sudden death. Not typical to have heart complications in children. Many children have prolonged fevers with many viruses and we do not do EKG’s. If we did I would have to set up a separate clinic space just to do EKG’s.  COVID IS JUST EXTRA SPECIAL. 

2 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

That is true but this is looking at post viral cardiomyopathy that could lead to sudden death. Not typical to have heart complications in children. Many children have prolonged fevers with many viruses and we do not do EKG’s. If we did I would have to set up a separate clinic space just to do EKG’s.  COVID IS JUST EXTRA SPECIAL. 

My daughter in law is an RN in a family practice.  I'm going to ask her about what they do since they see all ages.  My internist just brings in the portable EKG machine and it takes literally longer to put all the contacts on than to do the actual reading so no extra room is needed.  It's just part of the exam.

1 minute ago, BND said:

I know there are other viruses that can cause cardiac issues in children too.   All children should have a cardiac exam to participate in competitive sports as there are many hidden issues that only come up when a child drops on the field/court.

Routine exam with family history and EKG when warranted are the standard in most states. Post viral recheck is not. Some countries do baseline EKG to R/O inherited conditions but not standard here. The point of this was to say that COVID Is affecting more than just the old. We all would like to think otherwise but it is not turning out that way. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BND said:

Very few tests are performed on COVID19 patients outside of the quarantine area they are in. 

M8

25 minutes ago, BND said:

My daughter in law is an RN in a family practice.  I'm going to ask her about what they do since they see all ages.  My internist just brings in the portable EKG machine and it takes literally longer to put all the contacts on than to do the actual reading so no extra room is needed.  It's just part of the exam.

I have been a pediatrician for over 25 years so I think I know what has been done. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Just think about waiting in long lines, watching parades shoulder to shoulder, etc..

A potential recipe for disaster.

I was at Disney the last weekend they were open before the shutdown in March. No outbreaks (and there were no masks or social distancing). The closest was a guy that, over a week, flew from LAX, went to a work conference in Orlando then spent one day at Disney and one day at Universal. He flew back to LA and then went straight to the ER as soon as he landed. Really sad for the man (who died) but pretty sure he didn’t get it at Disney and it doesn’t appear he spread it there (I was looking for reports of it since I had just been there). It seems as though it is pretty hard to get it outdoors. I still have a day left on my pass and would love to get back to Florida to use it!

• Like 2

Purely a political move, not based on science nor the well being of its citizens, on the hot battleground to win Florida. 

Sadly, our reputation in the world for being able to handle this virus is already badly tarnished and I don't see any foreign ports who are going to be willing to open themselves up to ships from a state that flaunts all science and completely opens up with no restrictions.

Nothing about the virus has changed very much since March, except that we have let cases explode across the country. Scientists are still trying to learn how the virus wreaks its havoc, for instance cytokine or bradykinin storm? Even just a mandatory mask order would do so much to help mitigate the virus. 

Unfortunately, it has become a political issue and wearing a mask is no longer about health but about some misguided thoughts about rights.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that Florida proves us all wrong, but the data doesn't point that way, especially with the onset of the flu season coinciding here shortly.

Edited by cured
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HxFx said:

The closest was a guy that, over a week, flew from LAX, went to a work conference in Orlando then spent one day at Disney and one day at Universal. He flew back to LA and then went straight to the ER as soon as he landed. Really sad for the man (who died) but pretty sure he didn’t get it at Disney and it doesn’t appear he spread it there (I was looking for reports of it since I had just been there). 

No masks?  Not good.

We will never know how many may have come down with it at Disney, will we?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If it doesn’t turn out well in Florida I can see cruises being pushed back further by the cruise lines, no matter the decision of the CDC.  It could be a double edge sword, with restrictions lifted but possibly more infected in the community potentially brining it on board. 

Fingers crossed this works. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1