Do you still miss cruising?

ilikeanswers

On 10/21/2020 at 6:18 AM, K32682 said:

It is quite possible to have a vacation in your home community.  Stay at a luxury hotel and treat where you live like a tourist.  See the sights, dine out, visit attractions, shop, etc.  I can honestly say I've not seen most of the tourist attractions in my home community and a week at a hotel to see them might be a compromise between a true vacation and staying at home.  

I now have a better understanding of how the virus is spreading.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I now have a better understanding of how the virus is spreading.  

Ditto. We're saying we need to stay home cause if we go somewhere we can't do anything once we get there. Hotels, attractions, etc? Nope. I wonder if they had their family over for holiday dinners.

11 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You could even put some clothes in a suitcase and live out of that. Can’t use anything you didn’t pack.

C’mon folks. More ideas for him.

I don't think I could get drunk or stoned enough to even consider something like this.   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, clo said:

Ditto. We're saying we need to stay home cause if we go somewhere we can't do anything once we get there. Hotels, attractions, etc? Nope. I wonder if they had their family over for holiday dinners.

Yet you have traveled to several states. Our community has been brought together by this pandemic and we help each other out, acknowledge the efforts of others, and generally work together for the good of all. 

Yet there are those who use any opportunity to praise themselves and snidely put others down in an effort to feel superior. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2021 at 11:51 AM, clo said:

This is a joke, right?  All through this mess, you’ve bragged about several road trips and now you’re lecturing others about staying home and trying to insult a family get together?  Please, just stop already. 

• Like 4

On 1/8/2021 at 8:27 AM, evandbob said:

I kind of satisfied a cruising urge (as well as my curiosity about Cunard by watching a movie that was recently filmed on the QE2.  I think I paid more attention to the background scenery.  Meryl Streep had a bilevel suite that was absolutely stupendous, and other characters had a balcony and an inside, so I saw a fair representation of Cunard cabins.

Several scenes were filmed in the MDR and what could have been the buffet area.  A few lounges and the  ocean views from the outside railings also served as backdrops. "Let them all talk" was the movie title.

Mighty Cruise Ships is also a pleasant escape.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Yet you have traveled to several states.

Not any more. But when we did in October we were in our fully self-contained motorhome and if IIRC went to a grocery once - fully masked - for bread and milk.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

and generally work together for the good of all. 

Gathering several households under one roof is far from working together "for the good of all."

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

trying to insult a family get together?

A family get together indoors is insult-worthy. When we saw our family in Seattle in October it was socially distanced outside. A neighbor that we share a fence with has parents, brother, sister and niece/nephew nearby. When they visit her they enter the backyard through a gate where they visit on her very large yard and patio. She's installed a heater.

I know people lots younger than we who haven't seen their locally living parents in months because they work in the hospitality industry so are at higher risk for infecting people and their parents are older.

If people consider this insulting does that really mean that they're guilty of 'bad' behavior and don't want it pointed out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

This is a joke, right?  All through this mess, you’ve bragged about several road trips and now you’re lecturing others about staying home and trying to insult a family get together?  Please, just stop already. 

A "family get together", unless the family getting together all live together anyway, is a pretty good way of spreading whatever contagion might exist. 

Each of the members getting together came from somewhere - bringing with him/her whatever virus, bacteria, or political attitudes were extant wherever he/she came from.  He/she will also have had the chance of picking up things while in airports, train stations etc. were involved in getting to the get together -- and sharing them all other attendees -- who will then have the opportunity to further share them with others on the way home.  

A road trip, if done carefully, need not involve much interaction (spreading activity) at all if done carefully.  A "get together" essentially involves people being in closer - and more prolonged -contact than any road trip.

Please just think about what you think you are thinking about before you tell people to stop.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I quoted a post about someone wanting to spend a week out on the town.  How it got to family gatherings is a thing to be ignored.   😄

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A "family get together", unless the family getting together all live together anyway, is a pretty good way of spreading whatever contagion might exist. 

Each of the members getting together came from somewhere - bringing with him/her whatever virus, bacteria, or political attitudes were extant wherever he/she came from.  He/she will also have had the chance of picking up things while in airports, train stations etc. were involved in getting to the get together -- and sharing them all other attendees -- who will then have the opportunity to further share them with others on the way home.  

A road trip, if done carefully, need not involve much interaction (spreading activity) at all if done carefully.  A "get together" essentially involves people being in closer - and more prolonged -contact than any road trip.

Please just think about what you think you are thinking about before you tell people to stop.

Perhaps you should read the other post.  Her 'get togethers' are perfectly safe.  

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I quoted a post about someone wanting to spend a week out on the town.  How it got to family gatherings is a thing to be ignored.   😄

I don't think I'm ready to stay in a hotel. Seems like too many 'opportunities' not the good kind. And I'm not going to any kind of gatherings. So my reply was just taking an opposing position to yours. But not with meanness. I promise.

3 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Ever notice how the 2 of them always seem to come and go at the same time?  Hmmmmm.  🙄

Oh please. Have you ever heard of kindred spirits...but not all the time. Maybe you should "ignore" me if you're that much a glutton for punishment. BTW, I'm rabidly in favor of doing anything we need to do to fight/control this virus. If anyone isn't then they should ignore me also. Or just 'avert your eyes.'

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 10:54 AM, 2wheelin said:

With a little creativity you can make a staycation interesting. Schedule a walking tour of the neighborhood for 9:00 Wed. Make a map and point out points of interest to each other. You could even put some clothes in a suitcase and live out of that. Can’t use anything you didn’t pack.

C’mon folks. More ideas for him.

Thanks, I can walk around my village in about 30 minutes so I'm more likely to just sit in my chair in the backyard with a Bahama Mama and visualize the grass in the field as being blue instead of green.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Ever notice how the 2 of them always seem to come and go at the same time?  Hmmmmm.  🙄

Do you think each might be the other's "secret identity" -- or do you feel that there is some sort of conspiracy afoot?

Apparently you have difficulty believing that the same facts can be viewed by two people in a similar fashion.

• Haha 1

Right   well about missing cruising...

It looks like hopes are dashed for November 2021.... our government  here in Australia is now saying outside borders shut now until Mid 2022..... inferring no cruises ship even local only cruises until then.....

If this is the case... it is time to move on.... I fear...... Don 

22 hours ago, clo said:

On 1/9/2021 at 5:56 PM, 2wheelin said:

and generally work together for the good of all. 

Gathering several households under one roof is far from working together "for the good of all."

How in the world did you jump from my comment to your statement? I made no reference to gatherings. You seem to just want to contradict.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:58 PM, clo said:

I don't think I'm ready to stay in a hotel. Seems like too many 'opportunities' not the good kind. And I'm not going to any kind of gatherings. So my reply was just taking an opposing position to yours. But not with meanness. I promise.

So what exactly is this "opposing position" to mine you were "just taking"?   

My take is that we are going to have to live with COVID, it is not going to go away. The vaccination will not eradicate it. There will be no herd immunity per se. It will be like the flu, both H1N1 and the other strains which even with vaccines that are effective still end up taking lives. But I think what we will see happen is that the vaccinations will allow the virus to spread slowly enough that there will be less danger of our medical staffs and facilities being overwhelmed by the number of people needing assistance. I've thought all along that masks, social distancing, stay at home orders, etc. were only stop gap measures to prevent medical staffs and facilities from being overloaded. We can't control a virus at all, all we can do is try to slow it down.