Do you still miss cruising?

ilikeanswers

I absolutely love cruising...my favorite vacation!! I just love the option of either just doing nothing and sitting on the balcony watching the waves go by, or getting involved in activities if I want to.  The water has always been my sanctuary! I also enjoy the idea of waking up in a different city every day. So yes I miss cruising a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I miss the opportunity to meet people that I never knew before.

And there is the excitement of meeting people you previously chatted with on your roll call. Now those anonymous screen names become actual people.

I remember one roll call that another poster had a link to her cruise review which included pictures of her children. She, her husband, and the kids happened to walk by our cabin as I was opening the door. I said mighty cute kids, hello her screen name. She all of a sudden stopped and said "ontheweb?". And I said in the flesh. And there were big smiles all around.

Another time we met someone from our roll call prior to the cruise as they lived on Long Island one town away from DW's family. So when we visited family, we also arranged to meet them.

Other times there have been very pleasant experiences during meet and greets.

Edited by ontheweb
punctuation

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

And there is the excitement of meeting people you previously chatted with on your roll call. Now those anonymous screen names become actual people.

I remember one roll call that another poster had a link to her cruise review which included pictures of her children. She, her husband and the kids happened to walk by our cabin as I was opening the door. I said mighty cute kids, hello her screen name. She all of a sudden stopped and said "ontheweb". And I said in the flesh. And there were big smiles all around.

Another time we met someone from our roll call prior to the cruise as they lived on Long Island one town away from DW's family. So when we visited family, we also arranged to meet them.

Other times there have been very pleasant experiences during meet and greets.

We met someone from our recent roll call who does not live in NY but has family in a LI town very close to where we live.He told me that whenever he and his wife are in NY to visit family the make sure to go to their favorite Deli which coincidentally is mine .We made plans to meet them at the Deli the next time they are in LI.However they will not be traveling to NY till it is safe for them to go there.The Deli is not open for sit down meals for the foreseeable future.

• 2 months later...

Of course I miss cruising .  But the cruising I miss did not involve mask wearing, distancing, or port visits restricted to group tours.  I can wait until cruising is the way I miss it, not some convoluted pretense of cruising - which seems to be likely for the first few months cruising of any sort commences.  

So, I will wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course I miss cruising .  But the cruising I miss did not involve mask wearing, distancing, or port visits restricted to group tours.  I can wait until cruising is the way I miss it, not some convoluted pretense of cruising - which seems to be likely for the first few months cruising of any sort commences.  

So, I will wait.

I agree 👍

Not that much.  We mainly cruise because my wife wants to do it.  I do enjoy the places that the ship takes me to and recognize that some places are easier visiting by ship than by other means but I can't get excited about being on a ship to get there.  I regard a ship as a big bus.  I travel to see things, not to see oceans.   If I had my druthers, I would do mainly extended 30+ day land tours but having been married for more than 50 years, I recognize that compromise is always necessary.

DON

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iancal said:

We miss travel.  Don't miss cruising.

After a cruise a year ago, with time pre and post in Rio and Buenos Aires, we were doing land trips in our RV. We did Vegas, Malibu, Death Valley, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Olympic, NorCal, OR and WA coasts. And Seattle. Our last trip was in October and we're hunkering down for a while since COVID doesn't seem to be. So no haven't missed cruising but am already missing travel.

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

So, I will wait.

"So, I will wait."

Me too.  When I replied to this thread back in early Oct I said I missed cruising.  I still do.  But at this point it is going to be difficult for me to want to go on a cruise ship while Covid is still around, no matter what precautions are taken.  So, I will wait.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldengirl123 said:

I miss cruising.  I miss our old life.  And cruising was someone we really enjoyed doing in our old life.

Hopefully you have other things you enjoy. Travel or otherwise. Cruising or otherwise. Best of luck.

Yes, we miss cruising but even more we miss vacations and travel in general (going to concerts, weekend getaways, etc. included). We would love to visit DW's natural family in Germany but don't know when we'll be able to do that. Thanks to the pandemic I have a lot of leave stored up and I'll have to take quite a bit of it during the upcoming year. I just hope that we can do more than sit in our backyard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, we miss cruising but even more we miss vacations and travel in general (going to concerts, weekend getaways, etc. included). We would love to visit DW's natural family in Germany but don't know when we'll be able to do that. Thanks to the pandemic I have a lot of leave stored up and I'll have to take quite a bit of it during the upcoming year. I just hope that we can do more than sit in our backyard. 

Yes, concerts are very much missed!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Thanks to the pandemic I have a lot of leave stored up and I'll have to take quite a bit of it during the upcoming year.

OT but can you suggest to your employer that the rollover be extended for this reason?

15 minutes ago, clo said:

OT but can you suggest to your employer that the rollover be extended for this reason?

I imagine companies have to strike a balance. Mine has a fairly generous rollover policy:  up to 150% of the individual employee's PTO allotment can be carried over indefinitely, but once the employee reaches that limit, PTO stops accruing. This is standard for us; despite requests last year to management, they did not change it -- I suspect because they might find it difficult to manage workloads if at some time in future (say 2022) people are taking lots of extended vacations with the accrued time.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I think that is being discussed but it's a band-aid at best. I'm a senior employee earning the maximum amount of time off available so even if they roll it over somehow I will still have gobs to use. A first world problem I'm sure many would like to have. I'm sure that if I do have to take it at home that DW will extend the honey-do list accordingly. 

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think that is being discussed but it's a band-aid at best. I'm a senior employee earning the maximum amount of time off available so even if they roll it over somehow I will still have gobs to use. A first world problem I'm sure many would like to have. I'm sure that if I do have to take it at home that DW will extend the honey-do list accordingly. 

It's PTO, right? So includes sick time? Heaven forbid but I'd say last year and this year would be the very best time to have paid leave. Daddy used to have more time off than he could afford to go anywhere. And he could build, make, repair anything so he had to go back to work to rest.

22 minutes ago, clo said:

It's PTO, right? So includes sick time? Heaven forbid but I'd say last year and this year would be the very best time to have paid leave. Daddy used to have more time off than he could afford to go anywhere. And he could build, make, repair anything so he had to go back to work to rest.

It's not a bad situation to be in but given the choice I'd rather use it for a trip to Germany or a cruise than a "staycation", but it won't be forfeited. Unfortunately I'm all thumbs when it comes to those types of things. 

• Thanks 1

I kind of satisfied a cruising urge (as well as my curiosity about Cunard by watching a movie that was recently filmed on the QE2.  I think I paid more attention to the background scenery.  Meryl Streep had a bilevel suite that was absolutely stupendous, and other characters had a balcony and an inside, so I saw a fair representation of Cunard cabins.

Several scenes were filmed in the MDR and what could have been the buffet area.  A few lounges and the  ocean views from the outside railings also served as backdrops. "Let them all talk" was the movie title.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, sparks1093 said:

With a little creativity you can make a staycation interesting. Schedule a walking tour of the neighborhood for 9:00 Wed. Make a map and point out points of interest to each other. You could even put some clothes in a suitcase and live out of that. Can’t use anything you didn’t pack.

C’mon folks. More ideas for him.