Celebrity cancels 2020/2021 Cruises from Australia and Asia

Celebrity have just announced 

Tuesday, October 6th, 2020 

Our primary goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit. As we work with the CDC and others toward this shared goal, Royal Caribbean Group will be extending the suspension of sailings to include those departing on or before November 30, 2020, excluding sailings from Hong Kong. Celebrity Cruises will also be suspending their full 2020/21 Winter program in Australia and Asia. Additionally, Azamara will be suspending their 2020/21 Winter sailings throughout Australia & New Zealand, South Africa and South America.  We will be reaching out to our guests and travel partners to share further details and address any questions or concerns they may have.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

According to the Budget papers last night it is expected that international tourism — both inbound and outbound — remain low until the latter part of 2021 so I wonder who will be next to cancel.

• Like 1

If Celebrity and Azamara have done this I’m sure Royal Caribbean will be next. We always knew our Feb Serenade Sydney to Perth was in doubt. WA plans to stay closed until after the election in March. I hope they have some sense and realise that this decision is hurting loads of people.  

Looks like 2021 is out for cruising then, the other lines may follow.  I wonder if Carnival will follow with Princess, P & O (Aust), HAL, Cunard, Carnival Cruise Lines etc. The 2021 P&O UK Worldie is cancelled.

I fear this time next year we will still be talking like this, doom and gloom.

Edited by NSWP

I didn't really expect the first half of 2021 to be viable for cruising, at least cruising as we knew it. I still have hopes for the last quarter of 2021 though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Looks like 2021 is out for cruising then, the other lines may follow.  I wonder if Carnival will follow with Princess, P & O (Aust), HAL, Cunard, Carnival Cruise Lines etc. The 2021 P&O UK Worldie is cancelled.

Let’s hope not..

but I have to admit ......  you may be correct.😩😢😩

• Like 2

Good that they have cancelled these cruises, so passengers don't have false expectations. 

Reading between the lines, it seems that future cruising for these cruise lines will be closer to home in the Northern Hemisphere.  Probably a smart move, if corona virus is found on a ship.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Good that they have cancelled these cruises, so passengers don't have false expectations. 

Reading between the lines, it seems that future cruising for these cruise lines will be closer to home in the Northern Hemisphere.  Probably a smart move, if corona virus is found on a ship.

I have always thought they will get cruising up and running in the Nth Hemisphere first ,before they even consider downunder.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I have always thought they will get cruising up and running in the Nth Hemisphere first ,before they even consider downunder.

Because of the attitude of our governments to cruising you may be right otherwise our region, with very low Covid-19 numbers, would be ideal for a slow start-up. Preferably not until there is a vaccine though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Thanks David for those links.

I was just sitting here pondering that very question.

Well wasn't I the clever Duck when I pulled the pin on the January 2021 cruise. I do believe the (Down under) spring and summer 2021-2022 season will happen 🤞. My guess is that they will keep Eclipse in San Diego until they start the Alaska season, there will be a Pacific Coastal cruise then the Alaska 2021 season then the Trans Pacific probably via Hawaii and the Pacific islands, arriving in Sydney (Down under) Spring 2021.

Edited by Blackduck59

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well wasn't \I the clever Duck when I pulled the pin on the January 2021 cruise. I do believe the (Down under) spring and summer 2021-2022 season will happen 🤞. My guess is that they will keep Eclipse in San Diego until they start the Alaska season, there will be a Pacific Coastal cruise then the Alaska 2021 season then the Trans Pacific probably via Hawaii and the Pacific islands, arriving in Sydney (Down under) Spring 2021.

I hope you are right. 

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well wasn't \I the clever Duck when I pulled the pin on the January 2021 cruise. I do believe the (Down under) spring and summer 2021-2022 season will happen 🤞. My guess is that they will keep Eclipse in San Diego until they start the Alaska season, there will be a Pacific Coastal cruise then the Alaska 2021 season then the Trans Pacific probably via Hawaii and the Pacific islands, arriving in Sydney (Down under) Spring 2021.

You are a brave man making that forecast Lyle.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:55 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The first link refers more to the US health systems (in)ability to deliver vaccines.  The Australian model is very different with administration via community health services, GPSS and pharmacies.  This system already coped easily with 18M flu vax this year.

Depending on who "wins the race" to develop a safe vaccine, there may be logistical problems but if one of Australia's partners is successful, the logistics may consist of sending the methodology to one of our labs for manufacture.

It will be interesting to see who will be looking after our Sth Pac neighbours with vaccine logistics.  The uptake of vaccines is quite low in these communities.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:04 PM, NSWP said:

Carnival have all ready cancelled cruises from Australia till Jan 2021 for the Carnival Splendor and I think it was May 2021 for the Carnival Spirit.

I had a cruise booked for March 21, I’ve heard nothing until today about it being cancelled until I got an email about refunds for pre cruise purchases, came here to find the story!  I’ve got more moneys tied up with them now, this March’s cruise was fully paid for and the mar 21 one only a deposit, I’ll have to find our where the emails were sent to advise me of the second cancellation because I received none.

5 hours ago, Hgwells01 said:

I had a cruise booked for March 21, I’ve heard nothing until today about it being cancelled until I got an email about refunds for pre cruise purchases, came here to find the story!  I’ve got more moneys tied up with them now, this March’s cruise was fully paid for and the mar 21 one only a deposit, I’ll have to find our where the emails were sent to advise me of the second cancellation because I received none.

Call who you booked with and ask your opinions.

Sounds like you went through a agent and they are sitting on the money.