Booking Pinnacle Grill Online for Five Star Mariner

wesport

1 hour ago, wesport said:

If you pre book the Pinnacle Grill online ahead of your cruise, do you get the credit on board for the two dinners ?

Yes, you should.  YMMV as to how it is credited though.  On a couple of cruises, just a quick word to the PG manager to please use this as our 5* dinner and we were reimbursed.  On a couple of other cruises, I had to go to the front desk, and then, wait for the night auditor, etc.  But, it did get taken care of.

I recommend being proactive and asking once you have had the dinner and the next day’s statement is available.

All of our prebooked items including dining, excursions, and indulgences have been included in the dollar amount when they calculate spending towards extra mariner days if that’s what you are referring to. . .   

Your Pinnacle Grill reservations will be in your stateroom when you board and they usually ask you to call and confirm the chooses time.  

11 hours ago, wesport said:

If you pre book the Pinnacle Grill online ahead of your cruise, do you get the credit on board for the two dinners ?

Yes.

However, the only reason  to pre-book a reservation on- line IMHO would be for a special occasion such as a BD or anniversary at a specific time.

Often with the 4/5 Mariner status the PG will have you already assigned to a particular day and time. It’s just a matter of dealing with the PG once aboard to change the day & timing to your liking.

And as mentioned, if your make reservations ahead of time via on-line, your on-line payment will be automatically be credited to you on-board  account or credited back to your credit card at the end of the cruise if you have a positive balance prior to disembarking.

Have a great cruise !

Be well.

Bob

10 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Often with the 4/5 Mariner status the PG will have you already assigned to a particular day and time. It’s just a matter of dealing with the PG once aboard to change the day & timing to your liking.

And as mentioned, if your make reservations ahead of time via on-line, your on-line payment will be automatically be credited to you on-board  account or credited back to your credit card at the end of the cruise if you have a positive balance prior to disembarking.

In my experience with the Pinnacle Grill, I have never had my free dinner reservations completed for me by the ship. Not once. I have made, and paid for, reservations in advance, then had them converted to the free dinners, but there were never any additional dinners also made by the ship. 

I would also advise being cautious about the 'automatic' part of the reimbursement if you pay for reservations and want them converted to the free ones. It has never been done 'automatically' for me; I always have to ask. Sometimes asking at the Pinnacle desk is sufficient, while other times I have to go to the Front Desk after the Pinnacle desk has not been sufficient. A few times I have had to go to the Front Desk more than once! One time, after the Front Desk finally understood what I was asking for, I only got the 50% refund a 4* Mariner is entitled to, so back again! 
Eventually they got it right and I got the full reimbursement. 
But you do need to pay attention. 

• Like 2

I guess I should of added that you certainly need to keep track of your on-board account regularly using the HAL app. regarding charges for PG dining, drinks purchases, etc. I've been pretty lucky in the past few years to be able to have PG dining items, aka freebies,  corrected directly by the PG Manager.

And, I do have the habit of going to the PG on embarkation day to sign up for the specialty dinners, mystery dinners, visiting chef dinners, etc. that are often offered on the longer cruises  (e.g. Grands, WC's, etc.). The PG manager aboard the Amsterdam for WC's, for example, who will remain nameless for this posting board, always mentioned that I had been pre-assigned on particular dates (usually an early appointed time on a busy port day) for the Mariner meals which I would cancel and make other arrangements.

And yes, way back when (sometime ago for us at least) one had to do the "front desk dance" to get the appropriate credit. It seems the accounting system has improved  but we do, indeed, have a snafu every now and then that's needs to be corrected prior to disembarking. Don't wait until the last couple of days to review your OB account. As mentioned, we use the app to check daily and request a hard copy every 7-10 days (there's a machine available for that but it doesn't work half the time for me). Then it's just a matter of comparing receipts to the hard copy and then tossing the smaller receipts. Obviously if you bought a watch or something that has a warranty you'd hold on to that. 

Have a great Cruise! Bon Appetit! 

Be well.

Bob 

Edited by prescottbob
spelling

On 10/8/2020 at 10:14 AM, kazu said:

Yes, you should.  YMMV as to how it is credited though.  On a couple of cruises, just a quick word to the PG manager to please use this as our 5* dinner and we were reimbursed.  On a couple of other cruises, I had to go to the front desk, and then, wait for the night auditor, etc.  But, it did get taken care of.

I recommend being proactive and asking once you have had the dinner and the next day’s statement is available.

Ah, the "Night Auditor".  

Met him when I ran into the Rotterdam's Pinnacle Manager one morning early and told him for the 3rd time that we were charged for the the first of our complimentary Pinnacle dinners. (not pre-booked).  He took me to the Front Office and pulled the Night Auditor (an accountant) from the back. They stood at a computer for quite a while and figured it out together. No more problems, on that cruise :) at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Ah, the "Night Auditor".  

Met him when I ran into the Rotterdam's Pinnacle Manager one morning early and told him for the 3rd time that we were charged for the the first of our complimentary Pinnacle dinners. (not pre-booked).  He took me to the Front Office and pulled the Night Auditor (an accountant) from the back. They stood at a computer for quite a while and figured it out together. No more problems, on that cruise 🙂 at least.

Oh, you met the infamous night auditor.  😝 

Good for you on getting it fixed.  I really don’t get why sometimes it’s so easy and sometime it’s so difficult but it’s another of life’s little mysteries we’ll never solve 😉 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh, you met the infamous night auditor.  😝 

Good for you on getting it fixed.  I really don’t get why sometimes it’s so easy and sometime it’s so difficult but it’s another of life’s little mysteries we’ll never solve 😉 

I've always been able to get it fixed, but sometimes after 2 - 3 tries. Never any disagreement and always politeness from the Manager or Front Desk, but sometimes it just doesn't get done on the first try! 

I would love to know who is really responsible for the charging and adjustments: Specialty restaurant Manager, Accounting Dept on board, or is it supposed to be all computerized?

I used to find this a pain, but in time it became more "interesting" to watch the issue unfold.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, kazu, from the West Coast to you on the East Coast.

7 hours ago, prescottbob said:

The PG manager aboard the Amsterdam for WC's, for example, who will remain nameless for this posting board, always mentioned that I had been pre-assigned on particular dates (usually an early appointed time on a busy port day) for the Mariner meals which I would cancel and make other arrangements.

World Cruises are different from a regular garden variety cruise. 

Many dates are blocked off for a special dinner or private party. Besides that, more passengers than not on the WC will have the free Pinnacle dinners, so it makes some sense to pre-assign them, just to be sure there is room for everyone. 
I can understand that might be a special case for such a special cruise. Most people won't find their free dinners due to 5* status pre-booked for them.
Now, a free dinner due to a promo, that's different. Those likely will be pre-booked. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

If you have a good Pinnacle Mgr, it can work well, otherwise get in line at the front desk.

With regard to any aspect of one's Pinnacle Grill experience--dining, proper crediting, etc.--it's the PG's Manager that makes the difference.  A few are wonderful.  Others, however,  must of have had excellent recommendations from McDonald's in order to get rid of them.

5 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Ah, the "Night Auditor".  

Had issues with such a person on the Prinsendam.  A gift credit was received from an unknown source.  I knew enough that I suspected my Nephew had gifted me and was not named.  Confirmation of such was required by me.  The usual Front Office staff kept providing me with no answers.  Finally, I asked to speak to the Guest Relations Manager.  A Front Office "Officer"  (a lady in a blue suit) heard my request and said that she would contact this infamous "Night Auditor".  The next day, I had my answer to my question.  

It was a classic example of buck passing from one to another with nothing being done until "some chains began to be rattled".  A trivial matter, but still.  Is this proper customer service HAL?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

I've always been able to get it fixed, but sometimes after 2 - 3 tries. Never any disagreement and always politeness from the Manager or Front Desk, but sometimes it just doesn't get done on the first try! 

I would love to know who is really responsible for the charging and adjustments: Specialty restaurant Manager, Accounting Dept on board, or is it supposed to be all computerized?

Ditto. I”d love to know too.  I’ve found on some cruises the PG manager does it and it was seamless on others they told me to go to the front desk who told me to go to the PG manager.  LOL.  I was always nice about but firm and just said I’ve been there - they sent me here.

I took some time one cruise as you said but it did get fixed.  I just don’t get why it needs to take time and I need to back over and over to get it fixed on those occasions when others it was so easy.

I used to find this a pain, but in time it became more "interesting" to watch the issue unfold.

😂 good attitude.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, kazu, from the West Coast to you on the East Coast.

Thanks.  I wish you and yours a very blessed Thanksgiving.  Stay safe and enjoy the blessing bestowed upon us ❤️ 

42 minutes ago, RuthC said:

World Cruises are different from a regular garden variety cruise. 

Many dates are blocked off for a special dinner or private party. Besides that, more passengers than not on the WC will have the free Pinnacle dinners, so it makes some sense to pre-assign them, just to be sure there is room for everyone. 
I can understand that might be a special case for such a special cruise. Most people won't find their free dinners due to 5* status pre-booked for them.
Now, a free dinner due to a promo, that's different. Those likely will be pre-booked. 

Totally agree with this Ruth.

World Cruises are different.  I’ve never had the privilege to be on one but I’ve been on a few “longer” cruises and never found my PG dinner booked.  It was up to me to do it.

In fact I recall a couple or cruises where there were a few of 5*’s ticked off as the PG was basically sold out (Prinsendam) unless you wanted to eat at 9 pm on 3 nights (only times available).  I was glad I had pre-booked and that PG and their Manager was a joy.

One word and the 5* benefits were taken care of.  And, in one case no word necessary, just the “would you like your 5* benefit applied?”  

Sadly, didn’t happen last time on her but the PG was still a joy.