Return to cruising

cockneyjock

10 minutes ago, cockneyjock said:

When we are able to return to cruising, albeit with reduced numbers per cruise. Who & how will they decide who goes & who doesn't?

Most likely by those who have paid the most I would have thought. 

Avril

I do wonder if solo occupants of double cabins will be culled if numbers need to be reduced. In general there would not be not so much money to be made out of them in terms of excursions and on board spend. That would normally be me as a sole occupant - but I have no cruises booked (The first time since 1992).

Just now, Angel57 said:

I do wonder if solo occupants of double cabins will be culled if numbers need to be reduced. In general there would not be not so much money to be made out of them in terms of excursions and on board spend. That would normally be me as a sole occupant - but I have no cruises booked (The first time since 1992).

Don't you find it demoralising to seen as a profitable commodity? I know I do.

Avril

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, cockneyjock said:

When we are able to return to cruising, albeit with reduced numbers per cruise. Who & how will they decide who goes & who doesn't?

A similar topic was discussed a few months ago.  

The general consensus was that enough passengers would self select by cancelling or defaulting their deposits.  

If that doesn't work, then the cull would be based on commercial reasons, possibly either cabin grade (starting with inside passengers) or those with early bookings discounts (reduced "yield" by passenger).

However, it was felt, although not confirmed, that one of the reasons for the ridiculous 2021 prices is that the bookings algorithm is trying to discourage some new bookings on high demand cruises.  In other words, an unannounced attempt at capacity management may already be in play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Don't you find it demoralising to seen as a profitable commodity? I know I do.

Avril

Yes, when you are paying a lot to enjoy a holiday, you want to feel like a person, not a "unit" be to "manipulated" in to being "upsold."

That's one of the problems with the restart protocol, it's pretty obvious that they are trying to retain some deposits and charge you a lot more to leave the ship.  Some people don't mind, for others it comes across as uncaring.

2 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

A similar topic was discussed a few months ago.  

The general consensus was that enough passengers would self select by cancelling or defaulting their deposits.  

If that doesn't work, then the cull would be based on commercial reasons, possibly either cabin grade (starting with inside passengers) or those with early bookings discounts (reduced "yield" by passenger).

However, it was felt, although not confirmed, that one of the reasons for the ridiculous 2021 prices is that the bookings algorithm is trying to discourage some new bookings on high demand cruises.  In other words, an unannounced attempt at capacity management may already be in play.

Or in other words, cruising only for the very wealthy. 

Avril

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think most people have moved their cruises a long way forward, and many others will cancel now that the new protocols have been made known.  I should think that the passengers that remain will be very sparse

I guess you are right. Probably just me,DW and Gary.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes, when you are paying a lot to enjoy a holiday, you want to feel like a person, not a "unit" be to "manipulated" in to being "upsold."

That's one of the problems with the restart protocol, it's pretty obvious that they are trying to retain some deposits and charge you a lot more to leave the ship.  Some people don't mind, for others it comes across as uncaring.

TBH nothing has been said or done by the cruise lines at present as regard to how they intend to operate with reduced numbers, so it's a bit harsh to be complaining about the way they are treating passengers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I think that those who are sole occupants of a cabin would be less likely to be culled.  You're paying almost if not two for the price of one!  I'm sure there will be numerous double occupancy passengers whose onboard spend is lower than that of some solo passengers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Or in other words, cruising only for the very wealthy. 

Avril

I think you’re right Avril it’s going to return to an elitist holiday but how many of them will want to do Iona to the Fjords every 7 days till eternity🤷‍♂️ Apart from the rose tinted glasses brigade who won’t hear a word wrong spoke about their beloved P&O 

3 hours ago, cockneyjock said:

If they have to reduce numbers they could offer an inducement of extra obc to anyone who is prepared to move to a less popular date.

6 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

I think you’re right Avril it’s going to return to an elitist holiday but how many of them will want to do Iona to the Fjords every 7 days till eternity🤷‍♂️ Apart from the rose tinted glasses brigade who won’t hear a word wrong spoke about their beloved P&O 

A bit harsh, don't you think. I optimistically hope cruising will start soonish, with something approaching normality, but I don't give two hoots who it is with. No need to be rude.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

I think that those that can afford it will migrate to the smaller more upmarket lines. 

The huge megaships will struggle if they have to sail with reduce numbers and increase prices to make a profit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A bit harsh, don't you think. I optimistically hope cruising will start soonish, with something approaching normality, but I don't give two hoots who it is with. No need to be rude.

What’s rude about it merely stating the obvious or are you one of the RTG brigade🤪. If you think cruising will return to anything remotely approaching normality within 2 years I hope your right but I have my doubts 

3 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

What’s rude about it merely stating the obvious or are you one of the RTG brigade🤪. If you think cruising will return to anything remotely approaching normality within 2 years I hope your right but I have my doubts 

What is rude is labelling anyone who doesn't accept your entrenched view as " Rose tinted spectacle brigade". Unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

What is rude is labelling anyone who doesn't accept your entrenched view as " Rose tinted spectacle brigade". Unnecessary.

Haha unbelievable by the way cruising will be resuming here in two weeks weather permitting I’ll post the pics for you👍

548FF6CC-309D-40FE-8819-5816139DA507.jpeg

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

A solo pays more than double occupancy fare. On the contrary, the cruise line will love solos. 

2 minutes ago, happyglobetrotter said:

A solo pays more than double occupancy fare. On the contrary, the cruise line will love solos. 

But a couple in same cabin will possibly have more onboard spend than a single i.e. 2 x speciality restaurants, 2 excursions and 2 lots of drinks for example therefore making the cruise lines more money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happyglobetrotter said:

and with only one person instead of two that means half the risk for getting or transmitting covid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

But a couple in same cabin will possibly have more onboard spend than a single i.e. 2 x speciality restaurants, 2 excursions and 2 lots of drinks for example therefore making the cruise lines more money.

But they will be leaving some cabins empty in order to reduce the numbers on board, which makes single occupants special, a bit like hens teeth.

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

TBH nothing has been said or done by the cruise lines at present as regard to how they intend to operate with reduced numbers, so it's a bit harsh to be complaining about the way they are treating passengers.

Evening John, I appreciate your different opinion on this.

In my view, the way that P&O appear not to be listening to passenger feedback about the new protocols (i.e. wanting the flexibility to cancel or defer their holidays if they do not work for them, or wanting the flexibility not pay 90 days beforehand) are both examples of how passengers are not being treated well.  Refunds are another.  Some will choose to cancel and lose their deposits for these reasons, therefore becoming a "reduced number," when a restart may occur. 

I would also suggest that on the point around flexibility and balance due dates in particular, other cruise companies appear to be more generous than P&O, although that is arguable.

Notwithstanding the above, I always recognise that every poster doesn't have the same views and it's ok to debate etc 👍

12 hours ago, Manx buoy said:

I don't mind doing Iona to the Fjords once a year, as long as it is the actual fjords and not just coastal towns like Bergen and Stavanger. Long sail ins to places like Gieranger, Flam and Olden are a necessity and at least two of those per cruise. A coastal cruise to the Lofotens etc would be OK too.