The Daily for Thursday Oct 22, 2020

richwmn

I took salmon out of the freezer last night to have it today! We'll probably do the standard lemon-pepper/dill treatment. Asparagus is on sale at one of the local markets. 

I have made Bronx cocktails using Summer's recipe in the past. They were OK, but there are drinks I like much better. 

Yesterday's sun did not melt all our snow. I hope it is gone by tomorrow since I still have a few Iris to transplant! 

More Fall colors from Deer Bay Lake; this is our old cottage in mid October, 2015 -

image.thumb.png.d3f656a083b24f4be03a397f1f6ec1f0.png

• Like 15

October 22 is the last day until early December that I don't have multiple sunrises to choose among.  This was taken one year ago from QM2 on the way to Europe for Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity, and finally Crystal Symphony:

dawn1022.jpg

Roy

• Like 13

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Clean up the Earth day should be every day.  I assume the national Nut Day is for the nuts we eat 😉 

Love the quote by Emerson.

Salmon sounds great. I’ll pop some out of the freezer and have it tomorrow night.  Today is bbq as it is supposed to be one of our last warmer days.

To celebrate National Colour Day, my burning bushes are showing off.

This one has started to lose leaves but still pretty.

318805FB-F6BA-42A3-B71F-A2895D02A4B5.thumb.jpeg.9d25e353e29c2772cc08f1a64e5da8b5.jpeg

While this one has just started to turn.

59E96F78-0197-40A5-8611-D1955EF904CD.thumb.jpeg.02ee022d535e60c9b4fe60926fa212e9.jpeg

Seeing the cold temps coming, I figured I better clean up the chilies for what may be my last haul.  @bennybear the ones on the right are for more seeds.  I’m not giving up yet and if I can get more great.  But, if chilies get frost, they go soft so better safe than sorry 😉

1BACB79E-1F88-495B-BB69-EBCF5C7F2A86.thumb.jpeg.aab69c463c7f61748feecbb593c05cae.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for anyone who needs them and a toast to all of those we are celebrating.

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

Beauty colours!  

DH says wow!  Fingers crossed.   Gotta laugh,  friends gave us some home grown peppers a couple of years ago that he dried and forgot about until yesterday.   He can do some pretty extreme heat but he was coughing and sputtering,  he may have met his match 🤷‍♀️

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks everyone!   Nuts and salmon,  hmmm.  That wine, 👀the prices, lol!  

One week of winter now!  Eek,  but hope to return to more normal temps next week,  

we rescued this rose so I can watch it bloom! image.thumb.jpeg.dbbe3970b7206de914ba5c5975be90f1.jpeg

Pretty 🙂. Glad you were able to rescue it.

Sad that we are at the time when we are rescuing, isn’t it?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

As for food & drink today, as delicious as the previous suggestions have been, we are going to opt for a sushi & sashimi feast, with sake tonight. This has been a long-standing request as I celebrate my 39th. Again. 🤣

Happy 39th 🙂 Again 😂 Love the ‘again’

• Like 5

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily.

We are trying to figure out the weather here... the high for today is 84, the low tonight is 32, and the high for tomorrow is 47. That's different enough to confuse us 😵

Three years ago we sailed into Newport, RI and had this sunrise to greet us1124656765_NewportRIsunrise410222017.thumb.jpg.f37d21d7c33b187f6f24d2ae21bd0a8e.jpg

Hope everyone has a safe, wonderful day!

Lori & George

• Like 14

Thank you Rich and Roy for keeping the Daily very interesting . 

We are having this week the best fall colours of this year around our home , but fall is really setting in .  Here some nice pictures from around our place .

.............Not looking forward to shoveling the snow from the laneway this year  ! 

IMG_4292.thumb.JPG.02aafa095917acc3dbe49016e3d504ed.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

DSCN5267.JPG

• Like 22

Clean up the Earth Day for me meant getting out and cleaning up the trash from a neighbor's dumpster...... evidently a bear came through last night and managed to get it open. and the trash blew into our yard.  The dumpster at my building was either able to resist or Mr. Bear was not interested.  And so we move toward winter.

The fire near Silverton (named the Ice Fire) is not growing, unlike the ones in northern Colorado. There is not a lot of vegetation up where it is, and they are keeping it from moving south toward Silverton. When it broke out there were hikers in the area.... 23 people and 3 dogs had to helicoptered out. That must of have been exciting. I see in today's fire report that Rocky Mountain National Park is closed as the East Troublesome Fire has moved into that area. We are supposed to turn cold and wet this weekend.... Bring it on!!!!!

Salmon is on my menu.... but for tomorrow night. Tonight is "what's in the frig?" night.

Susan

• Like 13

Thank You to all the very uplifting posts on this thread! Love all the pictures, especially of the foliage. We do not have anything like that here. As a former New Englander, I miss seeing all those beautiful colors.

• Like 10

I haven't yet weighed in on a vaccine.  I'm still on the fence.  I will try to wait for a consensus between Dr. Faucci and my personal physician.  If they agree and/or Canada approves the same vaccine I will be very ready to get in line but for now am not convinced.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

October 22 is the last day until early December that I don't have multiple sunrises to choose among.  This was taken one year ago from QM2 on the way to Europe for Crystal Bach, Crystal Serenity, and finally Crystal Symphony:

dawn1022.jpg

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for this nice photo! 
Denise😊

• Like 3

Good morning, all.  Busy morning so far, I went to the grocery store and spent a lot of money... (what else is new?) and then to the drug store and got my flu shot.  In the shopping centre near us, I always think I am back in Virginia, the parking areas are lined with sweet gums, and they are the most colourful tree around at this time of year.  Other than those, we don't get much colour, I guess it just doesn't get cold enough!😉

While I was getting my flu shot, the frozen crab cakes defrosted, so we will be having those for dinner, but there is salmon in the freezer for another day.  Another job well done!  

Yes, Canada is in the bad books of the EU at the moment, although they aren't doing all that well themselves.  We had no new cases on the Island yesterday, which was encouraging.  I do think with all the retirees here in Victoria, we are being extra careful.  I see very few people without masks.  (I am touching wood as I post!!)

Thanks everyone for all the fun stuff.

IMG_5245.thumb.jpeg.d72e7785ebce3e97672d438dcf31478f.jpeg 

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

And Roy, I hope you are feeling better today.

I'm not sure what this is about.  I'm a long term cancer person.  My doctor has said I will die WITH prostate cancer but will NOT die OF prostate cancer.  My quarterly hormone shots have virtually no side effects.  When I started I used to get hot flashes but haven't noticed that for a few years.

Roy

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm not sure what this is about.  I'm a long term cancer person.  My doctor has said I will die WITH prostate cancer but will NOT die OF prostate cancer.  My quarterly hormone shots have virtually no side effects.  When I started I used to get hot flashes but haven't noticed that for a few years.

I just read on yesterday's Daily that you were getting your shot. I don't know how a cancer shot works. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The plan for my 2003 terrestrial circumnavigation of the globe included 4 overnight segments by ship.  After my 2 nights in Edinburgh I caught a quick train to Newcastle and a shuttle to the port.  The then Princess of Scandanavia sailed from Newcastle to Gothenburg, Sweeden, a journey of about 26 hours probably twice a week (That service no longer exists and the ship is now the Moby Oban, connecting Genoa and Liverno).  We left Newcastle at 3PM Friday and arrived in Gothenburg at 5:30PM Saturday.  There was an intermediate stop in Kristansand, Norway although through passengers were not permitted to go ashore there.

wrld1180.jpg.b234158c18d5b9526beb5a57a5084ca1.jpg
Many of the details of the voyage are pretty foggy now but I think meal service was a cafeteria with a pretty good selection of items.  There was outdoor deck space but not a significant place to walk.  My cabin was small but comfortable.

wrld1200.thumb.jpg.f3332825f91ed38bf3b4574ed1cf7eae.jpgI took a tram from the port to my hotel in Gothenburg.  It’s now something quite routine but was new to me at the time.    Dinner (Pasta I think) was on the sidewalk outside a restaurant.  There was a curtain of heavy plastic strips to keep clod winds at bay.

Roy

• Like 10

image.jpeg.017efe882a23abb2567eef8c348faa95.jpegimage.jpeg.6e73bd16b2a8e281955c604f5e512dbb.jpeg

Roy thanks again for your continuation of your journey! Hope this doesn’t sound like a silly question but is The Princess a ferry? From the aft it looks like cars might be able to go on? Your stateroom reminds me of some of your cabins you would be on with Amtrak. Was the restrooms down the Hall ? Looking forward to your time in Gothenburg. 
Thank you

Denise😊

• Like 3

That's correct, it is a ferry that carries vehicles.  I'm pretty sure both this ferry and the next one had restrooms in the cabin but I'm not sure.  There isn't really anything more on Gothenburg, it was just a single night there.  I'll add a bit of planning info here, one of my go to sites in planning the trip was seat 61, and they described the route from London to Moscow in quite a bit of detail so planning it was pretty easy.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1