General feeling of people booking in 2021

amazonracer

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

Looking forward to our March 2021 B2B Caribbean cruise and our September 2021 US Pacific/ Canada cruise. 

Best of luck to you....I was booked for a B2B southern caribbean out of San Juan and made the hard choice to L/S

to March 2022 instead.

• Thanks 1

I’m probably going to cancel or move our Western Caribbean February 2021, as well as eastern Mediterranean in July 2021. We are almost in November, I can’t see there being wide vaccination schemes and control of, the pandemic by early spring 2021 😞

It's all a crapshoot. Bunch of conjecture, and who really knows. I honestly think after the election, we are going to have a better idea. I believe one side is more likely to continue the ban. One side is more likely to move on with life. If it is until 2022, cruise lines will declare bankruptcy. 

So I can't tell you anything other than I would sail tomorrow if it was available. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I just cancelled my booking on a June 2021 Baltic cruise.  I wasn't going to wait for them to cancel it for me, LOL.  If things look up, I know I'll be able to book a 2021 cruise closer to the date. 

What was the final deciding factor to cancel and not waiting to see if they do?

1 minute ago, Joebucks said:

It's all a crapshoot. Bunch of conjecture, and who really knows. I honestly think after the election, we are going to have a better idea. I believe one side is more likely to continue the ban. One side is more likely to move on with life. If it is until 2022, cruise lines will declare bankruptcy. 

So I can't tell you anything other than I would sail tomorrow if it was available. 

I think one side will make an effort to get it under control...the other side will push to ignore it which could make it even worse than it is now.

• Like 2

There seems to be a big percentage of people who say they won't get vaccinated.  I was under the impression that the majority of them identified with one particular party.  So, should cruisers hope that party wins the election in the hope that he will be able to convince them to take the vaccine?

Back in maybe 2014, EBola was a hot topic on Cruise Critic.  While it was known to be spread solely through body fluids, 99% of the posters here would not even think of cruising on a ship with a known victim of EBola.  They also wanted the EBola victim to be off loaded at the next available port or Evac ed off the ship ASAP, using the highest grade of PPE and anti-infection controls.

Today, with COVID cases and hospitalizations in the US and Europe surging, some posters are fairly blase about an infection that is easily spread from casual proximity to the source through the air, no body fluid exchange necessary.

I just don't understand the change in attitude from irrational fear of EBola to today's irrational ignorance about COVID.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:30 PM, Ashland said:

Best of luck to you....I was booked for a B2B southern caribbean out of San Juan and made the hard choice to L/S

to March 2022 instead.

After reading a few posts on the RCI forum, RC might be throwing us overboard for our March 2021 B2B Caribbean cruise based on possible limited embarkation ports and shorter cruises. We'll wait and let RC make that decision and cancel for us as we aren't interested in any FCCs and not interested in the L&S option for 2022 due to itinerary changes from 2021. Rather have the cash refund. Our final payment isn't due to December. Hopefully RCG will have made a decision by then if cruising will resume in the spring, what cruises may possibly be a go, where from and the length of the cruises.   

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

There seems to be a big percentage of people who say they won't get vaccinated.  I was under the impression that the majority of them identified with one particular party.  So, should cruisers hope that party wins the election in the hope that he will be able to convince them to take the vaccine?

I'll get the vaccine based on proven science facts/findings.

The fact that I'm a cruiser has absolutely no bearing on my party choice. Many more important issues are at stake,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jtwind said:

I thought everyone here was of the "Let's Party" Party. If I've been mistaken, why have they all been cruising?

Cruise when you can!

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

What was the final deciding factor to cancel and not waiting to see if they do?

I thought that maybe I could get a head start on getting a refund on my deposit, and I figured I could almost assuredly re-book it if it turns out that it's going and I'd be comfortable aboard. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jtwind said:

If they don't get the vaccine if proven effective, they will become the ' new lepers of the 21st Century' , they will not be cruising or going anywhere. No vaccine- therefore a medical certificate, no flights, cruises, foreign travel. insurance, cinemas, theatres, restaurants...........etc. Up to you if you wish to make that decision. THIS WILL BE THE 'NEW NORMAL'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

If they don't get the vaccine if proven effective, they will become the ' new lepers of the 21st Century' , they will not be cruising or going anywhere. No vaccine- therefore a medical certificate, no flights, cruises, foreign travel. insurance, cinemas, theatres, restaurants...........etc. Up to you if you wish to make that decision. THIS WILL BE THE 'NEW NORMAL'

Agreed - while people may be able to refuse vaccination, it will become more costly for them:  no longer a matter of choice.  Recent moves in New York State to deny school attendance for students not immunized against measles are a sign of the times.

Yes, people have rights - but they may be required to consider the rights of others while pursuing their own.

• Like 1

Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon. It will be here for a long time. The CDC needs to stop dancing around the bush, define protocols all businesses need to follow, and reopen the country on those protocols. None of the vaccines that do get approved in 2021 will not meet efficacy rates the general public accept. There is also nothing to say if you get say Pfizer's vaccine and it proves useless that you could get Moderna's which has a 40% efficacy rate (numbers and companies are made up). No one knows how competing vaccines will react with one another let alone with any potential combination of other drugs people take. Since no drug makers has any liability in the US, they have no issue releasing whatever gets approved. Unlike regular prescriptions and drugs, anything made during and for a pandemic gives the pharmaceutical blanket immunity from any litigation. Its a win win win scenario for them. 

According to the CDC, the only way to contract it "today" is through 15 minutes of contact within 6' of someone that has it over a 24-hour period. They have stated it is not communicable from surfaces (that is what they say, not me). I think it is time to open up the country with CDC defined protocols. Cruise passengers have to sign those protocols with consequences as much as being dropped off at the next port or airlifted off the cruise ship at the passenger expense.

Not planning on any cruises in 2021.  We are hoping that can be in Europe for two month next Sept/Oct.  This is very tentative.  We are hopeful that. Vaccine will be available to us by late summer 2021. 

We are not considering booking or paying for anything.  We anticipate lots of shakeup in the travel industry between now and then.  Especially airlines and cruise lines.