Who's booked for May 2021?

HappyInVan

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

With yesterday’s new pause in sailings we cancelled the May cruises.

Probably prudent. I was watching CNN and a guest was explaining Pfizer's supply schedule. 40m doses in December. 50m in January. 60m each in February and March.

Pfizer's vaccine needs a double dose 28 days apart. So, it will be January before the first people are fully protected. By end of May, up to half of Americans will be vaccinated if there are no supply chain problems.

In the meantime, protect yourself.

Thanks, Happy, for relaying the Pfizer explanation.

We're booked on the 5/14/21 Westerdam 24-day collector cruise in the Mediterranean.  Up to now we've felt like there's a 25% likelihood that this cruise will occur, I'm reducing our estimate to 10% (or less).  We have a 30-day land trip booked overseas in August/September 2021 followed by six booked cruises on HAL through April 2022. Virtually everything is cancellable with very little of our skin in the game, and we see no other cruise itineraries we'd want to book at this point even if there was no more Covid. So, we're going to retain this booking and see what happens.

We've had 8 Covid-cancelled cruises since March 2020, and I expect that number to increase to 10...

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Thanks, Happy, for relaying the Pfizer explanation.

We're booked on the 5/14/21 Westerdam 24-day collector cruise in the Mediterranean.  Up to now we've felt like there's a 25% likelihood that this cruise will occur, I'm reducing our estimate to 10% (or less).  We have a 30-day land trip booked overseas in August/September 2021 followed by six booked cruises on HAL through April 2022. Virtually everything is cancellable with very little of our skin in the game, and we see no other cruise itineraries we'd want to book at this point even if there was no more Covid. So, we're going to retain this booking and see what happens.

We've had 8 Covid-cancelled cruises since March 2020, and I expect that number to increase to 10...

We’re on the latter part of this cruise to Israel,  and I am thinking the likelihood is extremely low,  especially since the Westerdam is apparently being sent to North America.  Not sure why they would announce that when her European cruises start in April.  Is the writing on the wall or is it another snafu?   At this point I would be happy if they just moved it to 2022, like they are doing with Asia.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We’re on the latter part of this cruise to Israel,  and I am thinking the likelihood is extremely low,  especially since the Westerdam is apparently being sent to North America.  Not sure why they would announce that when her European cruises start in April.  Is the writing on the wall or is it another snafu?   At this point I would be happy if they just moved it to 2022, like they are doing with Asia.

I agree that it's really odd to announce that they're sending Westerdam to North America, only then to be (apparently) returned to Europe to start up in Barcelona in April. Maybe it has to do with getting certified in the US, not sure.

Moving this cruise to 2022 sounds like a likely scenario, but I sure hope it would have a very similar itinerary to the 2021 version.

Edited by Mandalay1903
  • Like 1

We are on a May 2021 cruise in the Med on the Volendam (changed from Zuiderdam). In the event of its cancellation, which I think is likely, I too am hoping that they allow us to just be moved to the same or similar itinerary in 2022 with the same perks we have from our current booking rather than mess with FCC, reimbursements, etc. I don’t think that option would work for everyone, but I’d at least like to have the option. 

• Like 1

I am booked on a Pacific Coastal cruise from 4/24/21 to 5/1/21 with an extra day in Vancouver. on 5/2/21. Had been booked on same cruise 4/20 which was cancelled due to Covid. Even though I am at high risk for Covid due to age and COPD I doubt that I would be able to get fully immunized before departure date and if not fully immunized I will have to cancel. On the other hand I have my doubts that Victoria and Vancouver will be open for cruise ships before the end of April. 

If I can't go in 2021, I too am hoping that I can move to a similar iten with the same benefits in 2022. 

Here's some good news. Spain led the way in new cases during the second wave. They have peaked. Italy and UK appears to be at a plateau.

North America was a month behind Europe. So, there's hope that we will peak by mid-December. That said, there are states without mask mandates, and some without lockdowns/restrictions.

In the meantime. Stay safe. Use the right mask, which also happens to be cheap, disposable, cool with excellent breath-ability.

“The Public Health Agency of Canada is now recommending Canadians choose three-layer non-medical masks with a filter layer to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as they prepare to spend more time indoors over the winter.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/three-layer-mask-tam-1.5787946

Global new cases per capita Spain Nov 21.JPG

On 11/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, HappyInVan said:

Probably prudent. I was watching CNN and a guest was explaining Pfizer's supply schedule. 40m doses in December. 50m in January. 60m each in February and March.

Pfizer's vaccine needs a double dose 28 days apart. So, it will be January before the first people are fully protected. By end of May, up to half of Americans will be vaccinated if there are no supply chain problems.

In the meantime, protect yourself.

Those number mesh with other reports I've seen state that Pfizer plans to manufacture 1.3 Billion doses for global use in 2021. No details on how those doses will be distributed. I believe the US Government has committed to purchase at least 100 Million doses as part of Project Warp Speed.

Based on info I've seen, I don't expect to get my first jab until sometime in the 2nd Quarter and would not be surprised if its the 3rd, as we are not First Responders or in what is considered a high risk group. 

Some more good news. Oxford-AstraZeneca are also in the game. Will help ease the shortages in the first half.

“The analysts highlighted weekly swabbing to detect Covid-19 among participants involved in AstraZeneca’s trials — not just confirmation of suspected cases by symptoms as in U.S. trials. They also stressed that a meningococcal vaccine was used for comparison, not placebo...

The Jefferies analysts said that when it comes to storage, affordability and distribution, AstraZeneca’s vaccine appears to have an advantage...”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-has-some-advantages-over-its-peers.html

With the population mostly vaccinated by the summer, the hard work begins. To reduce the pandemic to 'endemic' status. Bear in mind that it took Melbourne 4 months to return to 'normal'.

IMO, it is possible for cruises to resume and continue in low risk areas. However, the high risk areas will have to show sufficient progress.

2 hours ago, lderochi said:

I do not expect - at all- to go on my May Alaska cruise. That’s why I booked the same for 2021 while the price was relatively low. I’m 90% sure the 2020 will be cancelled. 

I'm guessing you  meant to say that you booked the same for 2022, and that you're 90%sure 2021 will be cancelled?

• Like 1

Well.......we booked and Alaska 7 day out of Vancouver....early in May.....hope it goes but not holding our breath...lol....not much to hold it as used our $100 FCC's from a previous cruise.....have up to end of January to decide to pay rest.....by that time hope there will be some clarity.....hope hope

• Like 1

Heads Up! Bubbles are forming.

Canadians can travel to Hawaii (positivity rate 2%) without quarantine! Yah!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-air-canada-hawaii-travel-quarantine-covid-19-1.5809121

Westjet offering covid insurance up to C$200k.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip/vacation/covid-insurance

The only thing holding me back is the 14 day quarantine requirement. Hope that it changes in January!!!

Hope that the new administration will allow limited cruising out of Hawaii in April, if covid peaks in December. Aloha!

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/westjet-air-canada-hawaii-travel-quarantine-covid-19-1.5809121

The only thing holding me back is the 14 day quarantine requirement. Hope that it changes in January!!!

Hope that the new administration will allow limited cruising out of Hawaii in April, if covid peaks in December. Aloha!

$200k is a paltry amount if traveĺ to the US is contemplated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Unless our cases get better controlled in some of our provinces, I find it hard to believe that Australia will continue to welcome Canadian passengers under the terms stipulated.

I could be wrong - I have been before 😉 

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Unless our cases get better controlled in some of our provinces, I find it hard to believe that Australia will continue to welcome Canadian passengers under the terms stipulated.

I could be wrong - I have been before 😉 

Australia?

Just now, kazu said:

Oops - sorry.  ☹️ Not sure why I typed Australia.  I did mean Hawaii.  

I blame it on covid fatigue 😉 

I understand, sometimes it seems as if my fingers have a mind of their own! ☺️

I was hoping you had seen something on Australia. We have a cruise booked for 1/2022 that starts in Australia and I'm always on the look out for promising developments.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

I'm guessing you  meant to say that you booked the same for 2022, and that you're 90%sure 2021 will be cancelled?

Yes sorry. It’s all a blur. The planned cruise in 2021 is actually a replacement of a cancelled Alaska cruise from this past May on Princess. Maybe the third time will be the charm in 2022.  We are not regular cruisers and Have never cruised Alaska, so this has been disappointing. 

This is from our local newspaper regarding the border closure.

Task force formed to examine re-opening U.S.-Canada border, but it still may be a while

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/coronavirus/article247432605.html

I will be booking a cruise for 2022 to AK soon (refundable deposit of course).  And I am hoping that things will improve so I can cruise to AK in 2021,  but AK is looking iffy right now,  vaccine or not , for next summer.  I really hope I'm wrong.

I would be very surprised if Canadian ports or our borders are opened before June.  Covid vaccination rollouts do not happen overnight. 

And if they are, I certainly hope that proof of a  covid vaccinations is a requirement for entry.

Edited by iancal