The Daily for Thursday Oct 29, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Sorry to hear.  I hope your water pump is up and running shortly.  I hope the rains pass quickly.

Water was back before 9. Just delayed my "normal" routine by an hour or so.

Right now the sun is out an it looks like the rest of the day will be beautiful, the calm after the storm!

• Like 12

Any treat or treaters coming by here will be bundled up..... it is really cold after the sun goes down. Durango has cancelled the usual downtown activities and I don't expect anyone to come by my condo. Talked to the neighbor who has small children and she says they won't be out. One of our other neighbors suggested we could leave some packets of candy out for anyone that happens by .....then we realized it would be the bears getting the treats so that is off the table so to speak. We will just turn off the outside lights so as not to attract anyone. (the bear was here last night again.... flipped an empty garbage can and left a nasty pile by my car).  Good thing we are skipping Halloween  since the last few years I have had candy left over and I tend to eat it myself- which I shouldn't.

Susan

• Like 10

Good morning, all, and thank you, Rich and Roy, for hosting the Daily get-together.  Pat eats oatmeal, I prefer the smoked salmon on a ship, perhaps with a Danish pastry on the side, the one with the nuts on top!  I'm missing those. Oatmeal raisin cookies I don't mind, though.  I think this whole year should be for the hermits!  And probably most of the next one, too.

Another Grumpy Gus here, we are so disappointed our extensive Zuiderdam TA has been changed to a mediocre Volendam TA! I need something to look forward to, so I will be perusing all the lists I can find. 

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Right now the sun is out an it looks like the rest of the day will be beautiful, the calm after the storm!

We are starting to see the remnants of Zeta now.  Probably about 30 hours (and 3 inches, I think that's about 10cm) of rain but not likely significant winds.  My morning walk was in the parking garage at our mall.

durangoscots, if there are bears out, Covid-19 might actually have been somewhat a blessing in keeping the kids safe.  I don't think they should be out at night anyway.

Roy

• Like 8

Good Morning.

I have to admit when I saw "hermit" my mind went right to cookies.  Hermit cookies were a stable in my grandmother's kitchen.  Unfortunately I don't have her recipe but this one sounds close to what I remember.  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/hermits/f742d0dc-8e08-40ef-b622-685a1851ceb3

I will pass on today's drink.  It just sounds wrong.

Stay safe.

Val

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I like that quote! We’re a little tired of celebrating Hermit Day over and over. As @cat shepard suggests, I will celebrate Hermit cookies instead. Served on a tray with oatmeal cookies and shared with a friend. Problem solved!

Perfect solution!

• Like 4

Oatmeal Day! That reminds me that we are out of steel cut oats.

I wish I had some Red River hot cereal too. Can't seem to be able to find it around here anymore. I might need to get some from Amazon since it looks like it will be several months before we can get back to Canada. 

Here is a rainbow viewed from our old cottage on Deer Bay many, many years ago -

image.thumb.png.7d9fa40ebe02c5bdaa5637c4ae506340.png

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Himself said:

I also like Oatmeal cookies.  

Especially HAL’S!  😍

Good day everyone and thanks Rich, Roy....  love a nice bowl of mush on a cold winter day with cranberries! Though in The UK the heavy cream kicks it  up a notch!   Must be my Scottish ancestry.  

The snow has now all melted thankfully, though it’s in the mountains where it belongs!  

DCD8E1D7-B65F-4A96-942D-3C70B20E31B3.jpeg

6915A3CE-4285-401B-82C7-91E91D2BA55C.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13

I think I am experiencing what it might be like to be a hermit.  Thank goodness for this site that I can “visit” to see what my CC friends are up to, eating, drinking etc.  We haven't had a beef roast in so long I am not sure I remember the taste.  Thanks Rich for the work you do on the thread and thanks also to Roy and the others who contribute.  Earlier this week I posted pictures of the squirrels eating the pie pumpkin.  I bought 3 as decorations for Thanksgiving, they have devoured the first one and are halfway through the second one.  I think we may be seeing orange squirrels by the time they eat number 3.  My best to all, I suspect we may get the tail end of Zeta.  My best to all. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

I am glad to hear that!  Have a great day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Especially HAL’S!  😍

Good day everyone and thanks Rich, Roy....  love a nice bowl of mush on a cold winter day with cranberries! Though in The UK the heavy cream kicks it  up a notch!   Must be my Scottish ancestry.  

The snow has now all melted thankfully, though it’s in the mountains where it belongs!  

DCD8E1D7-B65F-4A96-942D-3C70B20E31B3.jpeg

6915A3CE-4285-401B-82C7-91E91D2BA55C.jpeg

I like the homemade Oat meal cookies myself.

• Like 7

As expected, my guide was waiting by the locomotive when I arrived in Moscow for my 2-day, 1 night stay in Moscow.  I had a full day tour the day of arrival but was on my own the second day.  One thing I can’t remember is how I got Rubles but suspect it was done at the hotel in St. Petersburg.

I always thought of the Kremlin as the seat of the Russian Communist government but it is much more.  Of most interest to me were the Armory and views of several churches:

wrld1840.jpg.376d9fcfb9a9b13ce9cf72520f6bc825.jpg

wrld1920.jpg.f27832be40a241b68c730c2ad3153ad7.jpg

My chief attraction in the Armory was a collection of vintage coaches.

wrld1880.thumb.jpg.7fd2576237ba5adca7d15b17ff9e01f4.jpg

wrld1920.jpg.3de4dece1d772c9471f1f59aa72f3046.jpg

In the square we saw the Tsar bell.  The world’s largest bell, it cracked in a fire and has never sounded.

wrld1940.thumb.jpg.bb5c0c0525165e30b95a900a426ab40b.jpg

I don’t think I have an exterior photo of the Ukraine Hotel but it was both large and comfortable with a comfortable room.

wrld1960.thumb.jpg.98e6ece4daea86f5463245b70cd3093b.jpg

I explored Moscow mostly on foot on my free day.  I did go into the subway again but do not have any photos.  The tracks were entirely walled off with people standing next to the doors in the wall to enter when a car arrived.  I saw a McDonalds and got one meal there (I think McNuggets) ordering from a photo menu.  I was a bit surprised when the guy at the counter responded with a pretty decent “Would you like fries with that?”.

Moscow sits on the Moskva River, a tributary of the Volga:

wrld1850.jpg.3fd0de0bb11999449ffc3709b1ad2d77.jpg

wrld2000.thumb.jpg.0a07c44dd87b67eedcaab1c6b135e5e1.jpg

I boarded my train out of Moscow with a knot in my stomach.  I made a quick email check and there was one from my travel agent.    Due to SARS, Crystal had cancelled the Asia season and the Harmony was deadheading home.  I was on the way to Beijing with no clear way forward.

Roy  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

boarded my train out of Moscow with a knot in my stomach.  I made a quick email check and there was one from my travel agent.    Due to SARS, Crystal had cancelled the Asia season and the Harmony was deadheading home.  I was on the way to Beijing with no clear way forward.

Roy  

😱OMGOSH Roy! I am in suspense!! How terrifying and it would be my worst nightmare!

Thanks for the pictures! I bet you were glad Mc Donald’s was there and on top of that the server spoke English! LOL

Denise😊

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thanks for the pictures! I bet you were glad Mc Donald’s was there and on top of that the server spoke English! LOL

Not really sure he spoke more English than that.  I almost lost that update.  I am broadcasting my troop meeting tonight on Zoom for immuno-compromised and hadn't noticed my post hadn't "taken" when shutting down that laptop.  I feel very lucky that my draft post was still available.

Roy

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@StLouisCruisers & @richwmn

everything ok up there?

We are fine here.  Mixture of clouds and sun today and only about .3" of rain last night.  Just the loss of power temporarily.  We were on the fringes of the storm.  Rich may have had more rain and wind problems than we did here south of Atlanta.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We are fine here.  Mixture of clouds and sun today and only about .3" of rain last night.  Just the loss of power temporarily.  We were on the fringes of the storm.  Rich may have had more rain and wind problems than we did here south of Atlanta.

That is great news!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

23 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@StLouisCruisers & @richwmn

everything ok up there?

Heavy wind and rain early this morning but nothing since. It has been a beautiful day, maybe a bit warm for this time of year. Power flickered a couple of times and the water pump needed to be reset but that is all.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Heavy wind and rain early this morning but nothing since. It has been a beautiful day, maybe a bit warm for this time of year. Power flickered a couple of times and the water pump needed to be reset but that is all.

Well here’s hoping this season is over. Glad it was not too bad. 

• Like 1

Thanks Rich for the Daily thread. And Roy for the prayers and celebrations. Hemit Day? Seems like Groundhog Day for a Hermit year, although I did my run into the city this morning and hit 7 places in 2 hours. I'll skip Frankenstein Day and oatmeal makes me gag (except in cookies 😄 ) The quote is right on!  Since one of my stops was Costco, it was roasted chicken for supper.

11 hours ago, travelingbums said:

Thank you Rich and Roy.

Thanks to all for sharing and caring.😊

I also wished this year was over.

I wish everyday that everyone could get along somehow.

I wish we would be just a little kinder.

I have so many wishes.

Have a wonderful day and make a wish.

I totally support all of your wishes, travelingbums!

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I like that quote! We’re a little tired of celebrating Hermit Day over and over. As @cat shepard suggests, I will celebrate Hermit cookies instead. Served on a tray with oatmeal cookies and shared with a friend. Problem solved!

I like your choice for oatmeal cookies!

8 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Good Morning.

I have to admit when I saw "hermit" my mind went right to cookies.  Hermit cookies were a stable in my grandmother's kitchen.  Unfortunately I don't have her recipe but this one sounds close to what I remember.  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/hermits/f742d0dc-8e08-40ef-b622-685a1851ceb3

I will pass on today's drink.  It just sounds wrong.

Stay safe.

Val

Thank you for the recipe, Val!

Here's to everyone on the thread and to those who read but don't post.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 10